General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

fuel prices received this today

Search this Thread

Old 21-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's probably a good chance that our life styles will become similar to before the "oil revolution" in the 50's, as without crude oil we simply cannot sustain our current infrastructure, whereas small self sufficient communities will probably survive.

Last edited by Karl; 21-05-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:36 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
good idea, get out and into an industry that doesnt rely on oil at all, like, umm, errr, ummm, hang on......
I'm in the water supply industry....we're not toooo dependant on oil.

It's actually pretty scary when you REALLY think of how it could be in the next decade.
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl
There's probably a good chance that our life styles will become similar to before the "oil revolution" in the 50's, as without crude oil we simply cannot sustain our current infrastructure, whereas small self sufficient communities will probably survive.

We have no local infrastructure left now though of course, and have MANY times more people in each of those areas to support!
puddy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Complaining or protesting about fuel price increasing is a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME as it is inevitable due to our natural oil reserves running out, and the EVER increasing demand due to countries like China developing so quickly.

The reason fuel is so dear is due to crude oil supply issues. In approximately 2006 we passed a critical limit called "peak oil." This is the point at which worldwide demand for oil passed the ever decreasing pumping capacity of our natural oil reserves.

What will happen now, is that as the deficit in supply against demand grows ever bigger the price of crude oil will escalate to a never before seen level!

This means we now have hugely escalating fuel prices at the pump. Diesel is forecast to be Ł1.50 a litre in the next year.

Lastly to give you the real worrying reality, is that within 10 years our oil dependant lives will have to change dramatically as the demand to supply ratio will be critical! This means the way each and every one of us lives is going to change, like it or not!! You may be worrying about fuel prices now, but soon it will effect everything our lives are built around as EVERYTHING is based on the oil industry in one way or another. It is definately the end of our society as we know it and the dawn of a new era, which I have to say worries me hughly as I really have no idea what to expect.
My exact thoughts for a long time.

At best WW3,at worst armageddon,this is where the BIG BOYS will start flexing there

muscles as control over the last of the worlds oil becomes critical.

If you ever thought that iraq was anything to do with saddam,and not all to do with oil,

you were sadly mistaken,

puddy

ps. ever wish you hadn't brought kids in to this world ?
Old 21-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by bud-weis
I'm in the water supply industry....we're not toooo dependant on oil.

It's actually pretty scary when you REALLY think of how it could be in the next decade.

you are dependant on oil, you arent looking far enough.

I used to be in that industry, programming the big scada systems that control the distribution, i worked for three valleys water, thames water, and a few others, and trust me your infractstructure is VERY dependant on oil!
How do you get all the cleaning agents to the sewage farms, how do you lay water pipes, how do you pump from reservoirs? How do the people get to work at remote locations etc?

Its ALL about oil if you think about it mate!
Old 21-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by puddy
My exact thoughts for a long time.

At best WW3,at worst armageddon,this is where the BIG BOYS will start flexing there

muscles as control over the last of the worlds oil becomes critical.

If you ever thought that iraq was anything to do with saddam,and not all to do with oil,

you were sadly mistaken,

puddy

ps. ever wish you hadn't brought kids in to this world ?

Currently prices are high cause we are trying to fight against developing nations for oil supplies.

Wait till its america and germany we are trying to outbid on the world stage to get whats left of the oil!

This WILL happen in our lifetime I reckon!
Old 21-05-2008, 10:41 PM
CWA
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

ie - we are all screwed unless we pack up and create a new civilisation on mars.

sorry - i just thought all this talk about non-survival of the human race, (and even worse - the internal combustion engine) was rather depressing..
Old 21-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Exactly puddy, America's war on terrorism was actually their attempt to take control of more crude oil reserves.................
Old 21-05-2008, 10:42 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

you are dependant on oil, you arent looking far enough.

I used to be in that industry, programming the big scada systems that control the distribution, i worked for three valleys water, thames water, and a few others, and trust me your infractstructure is VERY dependant on oil!
How do you get all the cleaning agents to the sewage farms, how do you lay water pipes, how do you pump from reservoirs? How do the people get to work at remote locations etc?

I appreciate we do use oil for a lot of things, that's because we can....i'm sure they'll be thinking of different ways of doing things though.

I actually don't work for a water company as such, i work for a consultancy firm....we're always looking to do new things though, so who knows, i might be working on Mars in a few years time
Old 21-05-2008, 10:43 PM
rostill2007

bring on hydrogen fuel cells
Old 21-05-2008, 10:44 PM
puddy

Exactly puddy, America's war on terrorism was actually their attempt to take control of more crude oil reserves.................
At least we are allied to them,it may help again in the long run .

puddy
Old 21-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by puddy
At least we are allied to them,it may help again in the long run .

puddy
While it suits them we are, just bear in mind they have massive oil reserves of their own, and we do NOT.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

The problems go beyond lack of oil reserves, to general lack of energy worldwide to support our infrastructure. It is predicted that slowly but surely we will start to have black out's and eventually total power failure on an international scale. I suspect the government will push sustainable energy such as personal wind turbines on us in the next decade or two.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Chip

The problems go beyond lack of oil reserves, to general lack of energy worldwide to support our infrastructure. It is predicted that slowly but surely we will start to have black out's and eventually total power failure on an international scale. I suspect the government will push sustainable energy such as personal wind turbines on us in the next decade or two.
Nuclear potentially holds the answer, the potential for energy there is MASSIVE, we are only scratching the surface at the moment.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:49 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Nuclear potentially holds the answer, the potential for energy there is MASSIVE, we are only scratching the surface at the moment.
We may have no other option.

people can complain and protest all they like, but we are getting to the point where we need to take risks!
Old 21-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Indeed I think you are right, I just cannot forsee how we can sustain our global energy requirements from nuclear power...................the consequences outweigh the short term energy solution.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Chip

Indeed I think you are right, I just cannot forsee how we can sustain our global energy requirements from nuclear power...................the consequences outweigh the short term energy solution.
Look at systems like on a nuclear submarine.

That would be very straightforward to have in a factory, and use it as a "prime mover" like we used to with water mills or sometimes do now with enormous diesel engines.

The potential dangers though of these sort of mini reactors being run to a cost not a standard, is fucking terrifying of course!
Old 21-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Would you buy a chinese mini reactor........................

Me neither!!
Old 21-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Chip

In the current price driven not quality driven market, I wouldnt, but a lot of people WOULD.

I suspect that nuclear will be our salvation and then our end TBH.

Then it really IS your madmax scenario.
Old 21-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Or how about the YTS/work experience spotty teen being given the shit job of looking after the nuclear reactor in the back of the factory unit, Chernobyl on every industrial estate!
Old 21-05-2008, 10:58 PM
rostill2007

no worries with a chinese one just dont get a russian one
Old 21-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by rostill2007
no worries with a chinese one just dont get a russian one
Chernobyl was built and run to a price/timescale not a standard.

Its the first of MANY of those accidents that will happen in our lifetime, and china or india will be where the next one is, and it will be FAR larger.
Old 21-05-2008, 11:00 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

i'd want it to be German.....lol
Old 21-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Still, maybe my salavation is I have family who run a farm in the cyprus hills and are self sufficient with their own crops, animals, power, etc...............I best go pack my bags before we have no fuel to fly there!
Old 21-05-2008, 11:02 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Still, maybe my salavation is I have family who run a farm in the cyprus hills and are self sufficient with their own crops, animals, power, etc...............I best go pack my bags before we have no fuel to fly there!

do it!!! i have Ł10k for your 3dr to help you on your way
Old 21-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Chip

Sadly Karl, as we both realise, when the shit hits the fan, who "owns" something on paper will have nothing to do with who owns it shortly afterwards, that will be whoever has the resources to dictate that they own it, through military might, so if you havent got a dozen family members with machine guns, someone who has will own your farm instead, except they wont run it, they will just run through it, ransack it like locusts, and move onto the next one, but I dont need to tell you that as you have seen madmax too, lol
Old 21-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Matt J
Oh the irony!

All the big supermarkets will be closed down when they cant get the goods to the stores, and the small town/village shop selling locally produced goods will replace it, shame that!!

and those shops selling local produce will all be owned by tescos, that IS the reality!
whatever happens, they will still rule the roost on the high street, at whatever scale it is.
Old 21-05-2008, 11:13 PM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i cant wait for the end to industrial revolution..

no more having to get out of bed to work,, fantastic.....
nothing has any value,,, everyone is technically equal,
and humans can then evolve, to the next revolution, its a bout time we as humans
stopped trying to make big wads of cash, and instead help each other to cure disease and the problems on our world,,, and then to explore other planets and space

theres a guy on youtube, who was exiled to america,, he invented a oil-less pump for
pumping water,, the kjb stole his plans and ideas, used them for themselves and sent him packing to another country..

He started to make a oil-less engine,, which consisted of a sphere, design..

heres a link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU6C6...eature=related
Old 21-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Chip

Thats now how it will work, we wont collaborate, we will fight against each other
fucking GUARENTEED!
Old 21-05-2008, 11:16 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Im with you but im stuck on this bit

Originally Posted by tonyrally
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE
Is that for Diesel or Petrol please ?
Old 21-05-2008, 11:18 PM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

yer i know i totally agree with u,, unfortunately ur 100% right its a horrible feeling isnt it.,,,,

the funniest thing is ,, i have this vision where in the very very far future people look back at our history,,, (that is if humans still exist)).

and they look back at us and think haaaa suckers they had to work to live..
gutted
Old 21-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by cossieDavedree
yer i know i totally agree with u,, unfortunately ur 100% right its a horrible feeling isnt it.,,,,

the funniest thing is ,, i have this vision where in the very very far future people look back at our history,,, (that is if humans still exist)).

and they look back at us and think haaaa suckers they had to work to live..
gutted

Mankind will wipe itself out down to the last few members, then they will pull together finally and start again and survive and learn from this time, thats my most optimistic prediction, im not sure if they can do it on whats left of this planet after a nuclear war though!
Old 21-05-2008, 11:23 PM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

crime would go through the roof if no one worked

nothing would be made because no fuckers there to make anything

mad max it would be
Old 21-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

This folks is the problem, see how oil supply peaked and fell in 2005. However demand is increasing as supply decreases meaning an exponentially growing problem!!! The end is surely near!
Old 22-05-2008, 12:12 AM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

think its all a bit ott, at the end of the day the only reason we're not using alturnative fuels in the mainstream is down to one reason, money. production of oil and petrol engines etc are cheap because the infrastructure is in place to mass produce them cheaply, due to it being in demand for so long.

fact, we have the technology to build "green" engines but its not cost effective for industries to mass produce them due to the massive demand on oil dependant goods (bigger profits to be made).

if they was to say tomorrow "right, no more oil its all gone" it would be in the best interest of the TRILLION ŁŁŁ industires that create what we all use everyday, to switch to producing a product that uses a alternative source of energy,putting into place the infrastructure to build these "green" engines cheaply. as long as that pressures not there,their not going to lose billions and billions in switching over because lets face it, in business, since when did the greater good be anywhere near relevant priority.

yes theyre would be a HUGE economic change in the world but you've only got to look at how the world changed from steam to petrol power to see that it is possible for the world to switch to a better more economical source of fuel.
Old 22-05-2008, 12:30 AM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just one question... If all these higher petrol prices are because of lower resources. Why has the oil companies (BP and Shell iirc) currently running at record breaking profits??
Old 22-05-2008, 09:46 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The fuel/oil crisis is such a serious issue, that I do not see myself working in the automotive industry in 10 years time. Every year that goes by now, I keep thinking I will shut down business and change career. For sure it is going to happen in the near future, I just don't know the correct time to get out of the industry before it totally collapses.
i am sure that there will continue to be an automotive industry on the scale that we see now - it will just exist with alternative power sources. as you know, the technology is already there for fuel cell cars, small scale home nuclear generators etc. that is why i am hoping to work for an automotive manufacturer working with future technologies and light weight build principles

as for oil supply going down - there is plenty out there still. it just becomes more difficult (and hence costly) to get it. supply can match demand - at a high price.

we can't blame anyone else for it - it was us that started the industrial revolution

i'm going to buy a house with lots of land to become self sufficient.

as for not buying fuel from one company, it won't make a shit's worth of difference to them. their forecourt income is a very small proportion of their income, most of which comes from the actual 'getting of the oil out of the ground' (i'm sure there's a proper word for it) and selling it. if they had no forecourt or distribution business, they would continue to sell it to those that do.

Last edited by foreigneRS; 22-05-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 22-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Spammage
Regular Contributor

This makes for a depressing read!!! Oh well lets just enjoy the moment and cross that bridge when it comes to it!!!!
Old 22-05-2008, 02:41 PM
CWA
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by FletchCossie
Just one question... If all these higher petrol prices are because of lower resources. Why has the oil companies (BP and Shell iirc) currently running at record breaking profits??
..a damn good question

(?)

Quick Reply: fuel prices received this today