General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

law with untaxed/insured cars on unadopted roads

Search this Thread

Old 13-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Cawood
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default law with untaxed/insured cars on unadopted roads

i live on an unadopted road and thinking of getting another motor, but wont be insuring it until i sell the cossie,

am i ok leaving it untaxed and uninsured on an unadopted road?

i know its risky if it gets nicked but what about the police? will i get any trouble off them?
Old 13-04-2008, 08:36 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the road a bridleway or a public foot path or anything else that determines it as the public highway ?

Or is it a Private Road.

If its a Private Road then you are fine, if its something like a bridle way then its classed as the Public Highway and as such you could be in bother, although if the vehicle is taxed then I doubt anyone would question the insurance status unless it caused or was involved in an accident in some way.
Old 13-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Cawood
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers neil

no its a normal road, its just a cobbled road/side street off an normal road, it has about 10 terraced houses on each side, it is unadopted by the council, think they means they have no control over it unless they start looking after it

but dont know what rules apply to it with the police
Old 13-04-2008, 08:47 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It has to be SORN if it's not taxed. If it's SORD'd it has to be off the public highway. Best best would be to check with the council. If they say it's 'private' then you're fine. If they say it's theirs, then tell to them to get the fuck round and stick some tarmac down!!

As for insurance, if it's not being driven you're ok.
Old 13-04-2008, 08:50 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

The DVLA says:

Using or keeping a vehicle on a public road:
A public road is a road maintained at the public expense, including grass verges and ground adjoining the road. Contact your local authority if you have any doubt about an area where you want to park your vehicle.

So if it's cobbled you're safe to say it's not being maintained!
Old 13-04-2008, 08:55 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Unadopted doesn't mean it's Privately owned.
All it says about the road is that it was never constructed to the standard required by the local council when it was originally built. And since that time the current owners have not paid to get it to that standard so the council will adopt it for maintenance.

If it was a Private road it would most likely have a gate capable of being locked at one end, if leading to a dead end, or in the middle if access is possible from both ends.
This is to restrict access as you would over your garden.

Private roads are private property.
Unadopted roads don't restrict public access, therefore normal laws apply.

Old 13-04-2008, 09:00 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Fair point but it doesn't have to parked on a 'Private road' just a road that's not "maintained at the public expense". I'd ring the council and ask them if they maintain it. Would be surprised if they said "yes".
Old 13-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

If it is an un adopted road they can't do you forr the tax but they can do you for no insurance as it is classed as a place with public access.
Old 13-04-2008, 09:18 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Garage19
If it is an un adopted road they can't do you forr the tax but they can do you for no insurance as it is classed as a place with public access.
IIRK not if it's immobilised. So take a wheel off!

Might be a good idea to call the DVLA and ask them (if you can get through to an actual person that is)
Old 13-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

The driven wheels have to be a certain height off the ground. Learn't this as a youth when the local copper caught us pushing our crunches down the road over to the heathland.

The next time he caught us the crunch was in a wheel barrow! We thought we were a right bunch of smart arses!
Old 14-04-2008, 06:24 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever heard of the ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, ANYWHERE the public can access, through not being restricted by PHYSICAL BARRIERS is classed for the purposes of insurance/mot/tax etc as a NORMAL ROAD, even MOD land that is not GATED off for at least 24hours continuously each year.
I went through this hassle as the mod were trying to kick me off thier land, and do me for trespass(don't ask).
So unless thier is a barrier of some sort for 24 hours minmum a year road traffic act applies, whilst on a a road.
tabetha
Old 14-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Cawood
PassionFord Post Whore!!

bugger sounding like the old plod could still do me then, cheers for all advice everyone

will double check with DVLA/council to make sure
Old 14-04-2008, 10:34 AM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

you'll probably find you'll be alright, as we have an ally that runs down the back of the houses which comes out to the roads either end, (even has a tarmacked side turn up to the point you enter the ally) a car was burnt out there once, and the cancil wouldnt touch it as they said its a private road so nothing to do with them.