General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

tyre question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:53 PM
GGR*TUNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tyre question

Dilema, ok i sold a pair of unused tyres on ebay stating they were new ,now the seller has emailed me to say he's not happy because he's checked them over and markings show they were manufactured in 03 and therefore not "new" ,his tyre fitter wont fit tyres over 2 years old because they have possibly degraded so risking safety issues?
so is what he's saying true? i never realised tyres had to be fresh from factory,
the tyres were michelin pilot 2's and were actually purchased from acs germany.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:04 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah they're old but as for not fitting tyres over 2 years old he's talking shit.

Majority of odd size tyres will be over 2-3 years old in the tyre house anyway and they will still sell them.
Tell him to jog on.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

I suppose he's got a point, but saying that if you buy an 03 plate car with original tyres on, would you change them cos they were old?

I know tyres do degrade over time but how do you quantify it?

It could be his tyre fitter just trying to sell him two new tyres dont you think?
Old 10-04-2008, 01:15 PM
GGR*TUNED

yeah i thought most tyre fitters would fit any thing as long as you payed them and the tyres were still legal, ie part worn,used etc, never heard of no 2yr policy?, still the buyer has me by the nuts so i will probably give refund in the end.

and surely it would need years ie 10 and need to have been left outside in all weathers for the rubber to degrade?
my ones looked like they have been stored in doors, you wouldnt know they were 03 or 08 if going by condition...imo.

Last edited by GGR*TUNED; 10-04-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Kamike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I didnt know tyres were date stamped?
Old 10-04-2008, 01:19 PM
nickscunny
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i think tyre fitters have to be wary about 10yr+ tyres if i remember rightly, something like that.....
Old 10-04-2008, 01:26 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by GGR*TUNED
still the buyer has me by the nuts
No he doesnt mate.

No tyre fitter on this planet will look for a production date before fitting.
5 years is NOT old for tyre's

He's probably been looking around them and saw it thought he'd try his luck.
As i said mate tell him to jog on.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:28 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by nickscunny
i think tyre fitters have to be wary about 10yr+ tyres if i remember rightly, something like that.....
Yup shelf life of 8-10 years not the life of the tyre.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:35 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just tell him to go to a different tyre fitter ?

Most people, when told a tyre is brand new would automatically assume the tyre has never been on a car, NOT the date it was made
Old 10-04-2008, 01:37 PM
nickscunny

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
Yup shelf life of 8-10 years not the life of the tyre.
thought it was....
Old 10-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as they have been stored correctly, then this is not an issue at all. I have some 2003 Dunlops that I am storing for my own car....
Old 10-04-2008, 01:57 PM
GGR*TUNED

oh s**t i now realise it's my own fault after checking the other pair in my garage, while i could not find a manufacture date on the side walls?[need to check properlyto confirm], it appears that aswell as the michelin stickers still on.. theres also a small schnitzer sticker on there with "20/03", could mean 20th march? lol, i should have ripped it off before i sent them out!!
Old 10-04-2008, 02:05 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

it'll mean the 20th week 03 but you could try they were made on the 20th of march 07
Old 10-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There will be a 4 digit code on the sidewall (cast into the rubber) first two digits are week number, second two are year.

EDIT: oops too slow!

Last edited by Billabong; 10-04-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:11 PM
GGR*TUNED

it'll mean the 20th week 03 but you could try they were made on the 20th of march 07

well the "20/03" is hand written on the sticker, so i could try my luck with some sort of excuse..............
Old 10-04-2008, 02:13 PM
GGR*TUNED

Originally Posted by Billabong
There will be a 4 digit code on the sidewall (cast into the rubber) first two digits are week number, second two are year.

EDIT: oops too slow!

oh yeah just checked {2103},
Old 10-04-2008, 02:14 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

it'll still have a production date on the tyre somewhere.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
As long as they have been stored correctly, then this is not an issue at all. I have some 2003 Dunlops that I am storing for my own car....
Thats not what a recent car magazine test found.

tests showed the rubber starts to deteroiate as soon as its made really and even a few years age does significantly affect performance. I am sure it was EVO

I will dig it out to make sure I am not talking out of my harris!
Old 10-04-2008, 02:19 PM
GGR*TUNED

Originally Posted by Porkie

tests showed the rubber starts to deteroiate as soon as its made really and even a few years age does significantly affect performance. I am sure it was EVO

why did you have to post?:-P
Old 10-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My local tyre fitter won't sell tyres over 4 years old. He may perhaps fit them for someone if he didn't supply them, but would advise you on the age of the rubber, and would further advise caution depending on the vehicle they were being fitted to - but ultimately down to the punter.

I think, but may be wrong, that tyre shops consider tyres up to 2 years old from manufacture, as 'new'.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:28 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well yeah everything deteriorate's as soon as it's made/produced.
The compound of the tyre will go that way but the structural integrity of the tyre will only start to deteriorate if the tyre has been subjected to solvent's/oil for major period's of time.

As for car tyre's that have been stored correctly and are used on the road then the 10 year shelf is more than sufficent.

Also depend's on how the tyre was produced and what tyre compound was used ie: hard or soft.
The variable's are endless but as a general rule of thumb the above is correct.
How many e-type jag's do you see raging around track's on crossply's?
Old 10-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Cossiep
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Well yeah everything deteriorate's as soon as it's made/produced.
The compound of the tyre will go that way but the structural integrity of the tyre will only start to deteriorate if the tyre has been subjected to solvent's/oil for major period's of time.

As for car tyre's that have been stored correctly and are used on the road then the 10 year shelf is more than sufficent.

Also depend's on how the tyre was produced and what tyre compound was used ie: hard or soft.
The variable's are endless but as a general rule of thumb the above is correct.
How many e-type jag's do you see raging around track's on crossply's?

Not many...... probably overheated shortly after the first corner
Old 10-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is correct, but the SSRs are so far ahead of normal road tyres, that even with a slight deteriation, they are better than any normal tyre I have ever used, so am I bovvered?
Old 10-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

I always thought they had a protective 'film' on them from new, to stop them deteroiating when on the shelf.Im sure a tyre fitter mate told me that
Old 10-04-2008, 02:53 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Sunil_FiestaRS1800
I always thought they had a protective 'film' on them from new, to stop them deteroiating when on the shelf.Im sure a tyre fitter mate told me that
Also true. Which is why they cant be stored with oil/solvent's and it doesnt really work that well as most tyre place's roll or scuff when putting away which removes the protection that keep's the tyre from drying out and cracking.
Old 14-04-2008, 09:46 PM
GGR*TUNED

this buyer is now being a complete A**HOLE!!!, i had emailed him a few days ago about offering him a full refund and voiding the ebay transaction[mainly to get back my ebay selling fee],
i would then collect the tyres from him and we then both walk away happy-ish .
so i opened a dispute with ebay , the buyer was supposed to then select" the buyer and seller mutually agreed to not complete this transaction" option which would mean i get my fee back, But no! tonight i get a message from ebay stating the the buyer wishes to complete the transaction[he did this so stop me claiming back fee] and also the message below left in the dispute column on ebay, he hasnt actually emailed me directly in over 4 days.

"The seller must pay postage costs both ways Ł30 + Ł40 PLUS A REASONABLE amount for wasting my time
and risking my family with tyres advertised as BRAND NEW but which were in fact manufactured in the
20th week of 2003 i.e. were 5 years old. (Not disclosed on advert). Both KwikFit and HiQ refused to
fit these tyres as they were more than 2 years old. mytyres.co.uk state that any tyre more than 2
years old is classed by the tyre trade as NOT NEW. I accept a refund from the seller for Ł100"
Old 14-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what size are they
Old 14-04-2008, 09:53 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GGR*TUNED
this buyer is now being a complete A**HOLE!!!, i had emailed him a few days ago about offering him a full refund and voiding the ebay transaction[mainly to get back my ebay selling fee],
i would then collect the tyres from him and we then both walk away happy-ish .
so i opened a dispute with ebay , the buyer was supposed to then select" the buyer and seller mutually agreed to not complete this transaction" option which would mean i get my fee back, But no! tonight i get a message from ebay stating the the buyer wishes to complete the transaction[he did this so stop me claiming back fee] and also the message below left in the dispute column on ebay, he hasnt actually emailed me directly in over 4 days.

"The seller must pay postage costs both ways Ł30 + Ł40 PLUS A REASONABLE amount for wasting my time
and risking my family with tyres advertised as BRAND NEW but which were in fact manufactured in the
20th week of 2003 i.e. were 5 years old. (Not disclosed on advert). Both KwikFit and HiQ refused to
fit these tyres as they were more than 2 years old. mytyres.co.uk state that any tyre more than 2
years old is classed by the tyre trade as NOT NEW. I accept a refund from the seller for Ł100"
I'd just tell him to get fucked, they've never been fitted so as far as most normal people are concerned they are new. Tell him to stop being so anal and just fit the bloody things.

Edit, as for the 'reasonable amount for wasting my time...' tell him where to go mate
Old 14-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

our new 02 plate 106 had something like 2yr old tyres on when purchased Im sure, I wouldnt worry about them if they are stored fine and in good order- not breaking down etc tho
Having said that I have a pair of 5yr old 225s on the sapphire that offered Zero grip on boost so the surface is past their best, may get better as I use them but not brilliant LOL
Old 14-04-2008, 10:08 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

blatently trying it on, I would wager there are a fair few people running cars on tyres WELL over 5 years old, if not 10..... He is obviously a scammer, either full refund and return of goods, or he keeps them, tell him to get fucked.... Personally I would take a few mates and go and pay him a little visit
Old 14-04-2008, 10:29 PM
GGR*TUNED

i'm just pissed he's gone about it this way, he should have been happy with my offer of a full refund, i was still going to lose out a bit on postage costs, he also went and stopped ebay from refunding the seller fee , and is now wants an extra Ł70 on top as compensation!

he also states he's not happy that i didnt disclose the age of tyres in my ebay ad, i'll be honest i'didnt know they put down the manufacture date on tyres and i explained this to him in my last email, furthermore i looked at other tyre companies on ebay and 90% of them did not list a date on their adverts so how the f**k was i supposed to know? i'm not a tyre expert. Oh yeah he could have asked me how old they were before he bid? but he didnt.

as for risking his family!???!! WTF! it's not like i fitted them on his car and then he spun off the motorway, all he had to do was tape them back up for me so i could send courier to collect.

they may not be 08 but they hardly look dangerous?
Old 14-04-2008, 10:30 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

have you given him his ŁŁŁ back yet?
Old 14-04-2008, 10:35 PM
GGR*TUNED

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
have you given him his ŁŁŁ back yet?

no, i offered a refund but did not hear back from him ...untill tonight.
now he's playing games i dont trust him to return them to me or to let my courier collect from him.
Old 14-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what size are they
Old 14-04-2008, 10:43 PM
GGR*TUNED

Angry

Originally Posted by Jasesapphy
what size are they

255 35 20"s, priced at Ł287 each from mytyres, do you know what i let them go for?
Ł280 delivered for the pair! and he still not f**kin happy!
Old 14-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

tell him to Jog on mate, you are been more than fair, tossers some of them i tell you
Old 14-04-2008, 10:54 PM
GGR*TUNED

Originally Posted by Jasesapphy
tell him to Jog on mate, you are been more than fair, tossers some of them i tell you

i'm stuck.... he paid by paypal, he hasnt opened a paypal dispute yet but can bet that'll happen soon, and here's me thinking i'm supposed to get the tyres back before issuing a refund ?
he could keep the tyres and still get his money back from paypal
Old 14-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

they always favour the buyer, arrange a courier and refund him the purchase amount upon receipt.

Report your side to ebay for what its worth
Old 14-04-2008, 11:09 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what a tugger! I'd tell him to fuck off.
He is taking you for a cunt.
Cant you just cancell the dispute and tell him sorry but you own them now.
Old 14-04-2008, 11:26 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

take the money out of your paypal account, full refund on reciept of tyres in the same condition they left you, or keep them ... sounds like a right cunt

Quick Reply: tyre question