General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

who works for halfords?

Search this Thread

Old 24-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Nick b
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who works for halfords?

So who works for halfords? and where?
Seen quite a few threads were people say they work for the company

Nick
Old 24-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the question, people might own up then
Old 24-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Nick b

No question just curious.
I manage one fo the top 4 halfords stores and was curious which people out there work for them.
Halfords has changed massivley internally over the past 2 years, before anyone states how shit the company is

Nick
Old 24-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not me but I have Ł180 of Halfords vouchers and nothing to spend them on as i am car-less atm.

Anyone wanna buy them for Ł150???
Old 24-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

halfords has changed over the last 5 years, for the worst tbh, i used to work for them, xrt-si still does work there

one of the worst companys ive ever worked for, all stores ran practically independantly but following the companys guide lines

buts prices of parts up before bank holidays to claim there sales prices, no care about the staff who work there, rather have kids working cause they got no bills to pay so are cheeper to employ and are easier to take advantage of

theres a few staff on here, rob carden also works there ( who has gotta be the best member of staff halfords has ever produced, he actually knows what hes doing and not just guessing)
Old 24-03-2008, 03:05 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Coldo
Not me but I have Ł180 of Halfords vouchers and nothing to spend them on as i am car-less atm.

Anyone wanna buy them for Ł150???
100 cash waiting. haha.
Old 24-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Nick b

Well like i said they have changed, and with any company its the manager who you work for not nec the comapny.
Dont get the bit about working independantly from each other, all the stores on my area have same, goals, smart targets and area intiatives to work to.

I have worked for first sport, JD sports, littlewoods, currys, M&S and prefer halfords over all of them.

And all companys over inflate prices to lower them at bank holidays, but that is only on certain products.
The 150 piece socket set is always Ł150 and only comes down to Ł100 on specials

Nick

Last edited by Nick b; 24-03-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 24-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

that prob cause halfords run them like independant stores and so you have more input of how its laid out

i went to halfords to get internal promotion, seen that they dont train staff to become managment but rather employ from outside ( one branch manager was from fucking mcdonalds ffs ), ive worked for loads of companys and i would never return there

a company that claims stuff is half price when its only that cause they bumped the price up to more than its ever gonna be worth is a shite company IMO

the prices of most stuff is a fucking joke too, filters being sold for more than genuine parts

PS: i forgot to mention,,,,,, my company supply your company car parts too, ive got a few mates from halfords, the staff are good people tbh,,, but the actual ivory towers management i hate ( i know your not ivory towers ), oh and theres a good chance ive spoken to you on the phone at somepoint before yoiu changed your computer systems and now fax the parts ordered through
Old 24-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Nick b

And all companys over inflate prices to lower them at bank holidays, but that is only on certain products.
The 150 piece socket set is always Ł150 and only comes down to Ł100 on specials

Nick

not all companys, just dodgy companys who get away with it, they are always the same products too and have been for the last 8 years !!!

halfords has grown VERY VERY well over time has to be said, but they rip people off and over time it will catch up with them like every other company though ill admit halfords makes alot of money

just a shame they dont seem to give back to the staff who work for them !

i remember about 2 years ago you was offered to manage a halfords store, you seem to be doing very well with it too so congratulations
Old 24-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Nick b

Agree mate, ivory towers people believe they are un touchable.
Where do you work then ginge?

I enjoy the company, but agree with you certain area managers actively help internal promotion, but some just dont care.

I strongly believe we have a lot of good people coming through, and i work on that.
In the past year i have trained and promoted 4 people from key holders through to DM or store manager roles.

Nick
Old 24-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

nick youn know what most stores aint ran like that and theres alot of management who brown nose there way to the top/shit on others to get there

ive never been a fan of that shite tbh, glad you work hard to get the staff to go forward, very rare to see companys to promote people as the staff become too expensive to keep doing it that way,,,,, and halfords prefer the high turnover of staff from what i remember
Old 24-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Nick b

I was brought in from outside, and quite a few people thought i would fail running one of their flagship stores.
But big parts of the company has changed, and i for one manage my own certain way, which is def not like typical halfords style.
Maybe thats why i am still doing ok, and have good staff retention. Because i want MY staff to do well and be promoted. And i only try to bring new blood in if they are exceptional or Know one in store is ready

Nick
Old 24-03-2008, 03:41 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I went there the other day, asked a memeber of staff if they had any of the socket sets left, he told me to go to the parts counter as he worked the ice counter - that was fine

The, the same guy bods over to the parts counter and starts serving??? why not just answer my question in the first place?

Another chap served me and was spot on, couldn't knock the service.

IMO halfords is more suited to the novice who doesn't really know much about cars, or to be used as a last resort by others, it is more like a department store.

By that i mean, my misses would be happy to go there and pick up some stuff for her car, but would not be as willing to go to a parts place as she would feel more intimidated with her lack of knowledge, Halfords feels more like a department store.

I do feel stuff is over priced, and could be much cheaper than it is, but then I have access to trade places, so could never bring myself to buy in halfords unless it was a good deal, or had no choice.

Having said that, I think it serves its purpose well, and has been going a long time, i dare say it is an essential place really, as I can't think of anything similar for the millions of people that use them.
Old 24-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

its only cause there open late/sundays/bank holidays and have a good stock of random parts on the shelf/accessible

nick glad to see you enjoy what you do, alot of management think all they need to know is spreadsheets, managing/deveploping staff is hard,,,,, not to mention getting staff to work who cant be bothered when your not there

ill never change my veiw on halfords though, the wages they pay there staff is insulting for the hours/days you have to work

i get paid 3 times as much as i did in halfords and i work monday to friday/twice as long holidays and a few hours every 3rd saturday,
Old 24-03-2008, 04:39 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It does vary, our local branh of halfords is very good, ( kidderminster), and the parts lad there always goes out of his way to help you out, and as I havea discount card the servicing stuff works out pretty good, and I am a big fan of the professional tools range, great bits of kit. Also can't knock the opening times, very convenient for doing weekend/ nightime repairs ...

However, go to the oldbury halfords and its awful, no one is interested, can't be arsed to help etc, and just get the impression people are there as a slave to the wage.

Having a good manager is reflected 10 times over in the staff, as happy staff will work hard and enjoy it, so it dosn't even feel like hard work, treat people like ginge seems to have been treated and all it does is piss people off and put backs up, which means grumpy unhelpful staff and unhappy customers. It is quite appaling how many supposed "managers" cannot manage thier breakfast, let alone a team of people....and tht applies everywhere, not just halfords.
Old 24-03-2008, 04:46 PM
mk3matt

i work part itme in halfords in winchester... avnt read the thread if its slating us LOL! but, 60% of the people i work with really do know there stuff, i'm not stupid either and often go outta my way to help people ( if there nice LOL)

pm me if you need anythn.
Old 24-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by mk3matt
i work part itme in halfords in winchester... avnt read the thread if its slating us LOL! but, 60% of the people i work with really do know there stuff, i'm not stupid either and often go outta my way to help people ( if there nice LOL)

pm me if you need anythn.
mate ive worked at halfords, the staff are good people,,, but tell me you would take your car into halfords and get them to do any work on it,or supply parts without you checking the info
Old 24-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I bought a TomTom720 online at Ł175.00 with an Halfords code to collect at my local store - goes to pick it up instore it was Ł279.99 - i had no paperwork etc presuming the store would be expecting me to collect etc...the lass looked online and said "oh yea its on offer but Ł200 not Ł175" - she said the offer code which was HalTT720 was not there code but i could have it for Ł200 - i couldn't be arsed to argue the toss so paid up.
Old 24-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Rodge.
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to work in the garage servicing at Straiton in Edinburgh (about 10 years ago now though)

Some of the guys in the parts were a little iffy to say the least. Went in a couple of years ago to get a throttle cable for my Sierra Cosworth and the guy asked if it had fuel injection!

Also asked if it had a turbo and how many valves despite having the microfiche thing in front of him - I thought he was taking the pish!
Old 24-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Rodge.
I used to work in the garage servicing at Straiton in Edinburgh (about 10 years ago now though)

Some of the guys in the parts were a little iffy to say the least. Went in a couple of years ago to get a throttle cable for my Sierra Cosworth and the guy asked if it had fuel injection!

Also asked if it had a turbo and how many valves despite having the microfiche thing in front of him - I thought he was taking the pish!

try to take into account that when you work with all brands of cars its hard to know EVERYTHING about EVERY car, and cossies are not that comon for most parts places !!!

you tend to get into a habit to double check the customer knows what they actually got also,,,,,,,,,, you know how many people dont know what car they actually got or even give there reg of there OLD car or give ANY registration as they dont think you need to know it anyway !
Old 24-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

CASH WAITING FOR ANYONE WHO CAN GET AN IPOD COMPATABLE ALPINE HEAD UNIT OUT OF THE BACK DOOR

pm me when you got one

Cheers
Old 24-03-2008, 07:08 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Westy
CASH WAITING FOR ANYONE WHO CAN GET AN IPOD COMPATABLE ALPINE HEAD UNIT OUT OF THE BACK DOOR

pm me when you got one

Cheers
Pikey
Old 24-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

no pikey is getting a second hand one....

and PM replied to RWD cossie wil..

thanks for the offer, but I dont want your standard Ford heat unit for a tenner you little gypo lol

Old 24-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

pm me when you got one

Cheers

I could probably get an Ipod Alpine Head Unit out my back door, But its putting it up there in the first place thats the worrying part
Old 24-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I used to manage a Halfords branch some years ago - hated the way the company was, the regional manager was a tosser, most of the staff were fuckwits (my lot were okay, good to have a laugh with and at least 2 of em actually knew their stuff ) Difference was I guess mine was a little high street store as opposed to a retail park superstore, so less to worry about, and a closer "knit" team.

Wouldn't work for em again tho!
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

I work there, have done for quite some time and TOTALLY agree with Nick.
The company was not nice to work for when you did Ginge, but I see now that was imo virtually totally down to the shite managment. The guy that runs the store now (which I get on very well with) runs the store so much better its opened my eyes.

He has properly sorted me out/rewarded me and in return I have upped my game. Makes life easier fro everyone involved, and he's kept to his work and given me a pay rise to a decent standard.

I honestly quite enjoy working there now, and (imo) of the store's employees 80-90% are very clued up and good at their jobs.

Saying that retail is not what I want to do for the rest of my life but pay and conditions are genuinely good now

Nick - what store you from?
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the halford's near me is fucking shite!

If they havnt got the stock in they WONT order it in. I asked once why to be told "sorry mate not worth my time to order it in" wtf!?!?

Been stood there for half an hour waiting to get some socket's from the glass case with staff wandering about and trying to fob you off on another spotty oike, who doesnt know shit unless it's about a pushbike.
Oh and the classic one when i needed a battery for my bike, he looked at me like i asked him for a 3 foot double ended dildo and said "sorry mate dont do bike battery's"
Well what the fuck are them on the shelf then twatface? All i wanted was the book to see which one i needed

I would rather go to motorworld at least they want your money and will try to get what you want.
Old 24-03-2008, 07:20 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

pm me when you got one

Cheers
Old 24-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by XRT_si

Saying that retail is not what I want to do for the rest of my life but pay and conditions are genuinely good now
so simon you think you are earning better now for the hours you have to put in ??

what sort of morgage could ypu apply for on the wages, what sort of holiday do you lot get these days ?

would you be able to bring up a family on your wages ???

how many times are you hitting targets that are laied out for you and what sort of bonus for hitting these targets are you getting,,, and what rough percentage is that in comparison ?

halfords aint gonna change, its always gonna be the same, you get a manager whos intersted and you will be happy,,,, the actual COMPANY aint changed

come on what sort of company offers there staff a 10% discount on parts that they make over 50% GP on ?
Old 24-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ps: si i actually need a Ipod compatible headuint for my scoobie as im fed up of cd's skipping due to the back breaking suspention,,,,, its only gonna get worse when the coilovers get fitted pmsl

no need for back door though, id prefer it all done proper
Old 24-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

ginge if you get one can you get 2 ?

let me know and I'll have one.. cheers
Old 24-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

im gonna get 2 anyway as i run 2 cars,,,,,, or is that not what you mean

i need to look at serious options though if anyones got info
Old 24-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

basically if anyone gets discount or can get hold of one let me know..

Preferbly an Alpine one which I can connect my Ipod into..
Old 24-03-2008, 07:48 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

no pikey is getting a second hand one....

and PM replied to RWD cossie wil..

thanks for the offer, but I dont want your standard Ford heat unit for a tenner you little gypo lol

Not my fault you want a tape player, not a CD unit ..
Old 24-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

i have a halfords trade card and i have to say things like oil ,filters service items are cheaper than my local motorfactors
Old 24-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

jay theres a cheaper place to get em too remember
Old 24-03-2008, 08:53 PM
carfixz

Originally Posted by Rodge.

:
funnily enough so did i , they were owned by Boots then and were not too bad a company to work for.

And it was 1993 i worked there
Old 24-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Rodge.
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carfixz
funnily enough so did i , they were owned by Boots then and were not too bad a company to work for.

And it was 1993 i worked there
1996 I started there, was still owned by Boots then I think!

Small world
Old 24-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Nick b

Nick - what store you from?[/QUOTE]

Hi mate,
I run the guildford store

Ginge,
Yopu would be suprised what they pay now!!!
Discount has gone up, trade is very good, and ALL pay bands have gone up at least 4 times in last year

Nick
Old 24-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

whats the discount then ??

one of the things that used to piss me off is when trade card holders got MORE discount then the actual staff,,,,, that tells you what a company think about you !!!

Quick Reply: who works for halfords?