General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

TV Licence

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:05 AM
JxBabe
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure it's something daft like if your TV CAN use the broadcast signal, you have to pay whether you use it or not. Don't quote me on that though...
Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JxBabe
I'm sure it's something daft like if your TV CAN use the broadcast signal, you have to pay whether you use it or not. Don't quote me on that though...
True.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:07 AM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

If you have the equipment to receive the signals then you should by rights have a licence.

Even if you do not have an aerial connected, they will say that you havce to prove that you have NEVER had one connected and this is where is gets tricky.

It is open to intrepretation but the courts usually go with the Licencing Agency and make the poor bloke cough up.

Its not the risk in my opinion.

Another thing to be careful of is if they do come round and you have a recording ot Top Gear or somehting that you have borrowed then they can make you pay as you are still watching one of their broadcasts, even though its only a recording.

It just shows how mad this country is.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:07 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

whats to stop us all from saying that then???

cough up
Old 07-11-2007, 11:46 AM
diamond white
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Default tv licence

Like whats been said the tv has the ability to recieve a tv signal for which you need a licence, so thats what they will do you on. The round the prob is that you need to have the telly looked at and have its nuts cut so it becomes a monitor, that way they cant do ya, but keep the recieipt as proof. But if want to go this route you just as well buy a monitor might be cheaper.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:17 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

even if the external aerial is broken, flapping about or non-existent they could say you are using an indoor aerial.

if you use a monitor with no TV tuner they wouldnt be able to make you buy a TV license. some LCD TV's on the market have no tuner in them so you could get something like that.

even if you satisfy them they will probably keep on trying to catch you out in future though in case you've gone and got a portable or whatever
Old 07-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

My neighbour got caught for not paying, but she had seen him knocking on other doors and guessed who it was.
God knows how she managed to blag it but unplugged the tv before he got in there and said its broke and has been for ages, but set up a direct debit there and then.

Just pay it, only about Ł11.37 a month
Old 07-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

FACTS then as i aint had a license for 4 years.

I just cancelled mine with no reason what so ever, legally you don't have to tell them shit.

Its not illegal to have a TV to watch streaming movies from any source. Games consoles etc....

If you have a TV and it has an aerial plugged in and you get caught with the tv then its illegal.....

If the ariel is not plugged in then its 100% legal.

Simple init...

They come round about 3-4 times at the start of you cancelling it then never bother again.....

They call you in 3 years after that and ask you to confirm your arrangements haven't changed.

As for TV vans Total Myth there is no such thing.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

O and for the record - if you get caught with no license by the bloke....

Simply ask him for one and he will have to sell you one by law and can't do you
Old 07-11-2007, 03:25 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

once i was round my cousins house when TV detector man knocked, he said they just moved in (they had lived there 2 months) and got away with signing up there and then.

but, a mate of mine didnt have a license for a year or so, got copped, fined a few hundred quid, didnt pay the fine and then got a night in the cells and was put up in court for non-payment.