General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Speed camera question *NOW A DEBATE*... are they needed?

Search this Thread

Old 16-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed camera question *NOW A DEBATE*... are they needed?

How the fook do you get the council to put a speed camera on your road? These some right fookin saxo/nove/corsa & BMW driving twats around here & their always caning their cars up & down the road weve had about 10 accidents on this road in about the last 5 years & it's a busy road with kids playing & all that Drives me fookin mad to see them putting speed cameras up where they aint needed & not bothering where they are needed!
Old 16-09-2004, 10:44 AM
cossiecrew
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cameras are a problem
Old 16-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

I know but imo they are needed on certain roads mate where speeding cars can be dangerous because of kids etc
Old 16-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Hofajoab
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

video evidence of them whoring around the streets at xxxmph?! would be more effective if you caught them doing it when the kids were playing there too. Just gather together as much evidence as you can on video and send it off with a letter expressing your feelings towards the safety of the local kids etc and that you want to see some sort of speed calming action taken.

I think they'd probably put in speed bumps before they put a camera up though, unless it's a main road.
Old 16-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Hofajoab

oh and maybe a petition of some sort from the neighbours too? i dunno!
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

That aint a bad idea mate, it's a main road & is VERY busy so i doubt they would put in speed bumps which is all good
Hofajoab

Speed camera it is then! where do i sign?
Old 16-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

LOL! I'll have a word with the council & see what exactly i need to do get it sorted
Old 16-09-2004, 10:59 AM
phil4x4saph
Advanced PassionFord User

Fuck's sake!!! We want coppers - not fucking cameras!!!!

Do you want the chav's to get Ł60 and 3 points?
Or busted and banned for no insurance,wankerlight washer jets,stupid number plates,bald tyres,due care and attention,drunk/drugged driving,posession etc.etc?

Plus a copper might stop your house getting robbed or stop nonces hanging round the school!

Speed cameras! Thought you lot would know better!
Old 16-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

More coppers? Surely your having a laugh! Obviously we'd like to see more coppers on patrol but we all know that aint gonna happen cos there all too busy chasing the people who they know are legit as it's less paperwork for the coonts And plus you cant have the coppers on your road 24/7 can you whereas the speed camera would be a detterent to these speeding chavs! I am against speed cameras to an extent but only when there just put up to blatently catch innocent people out to up revenue!
Old 16-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Little Joe
Advanced PassionFord User

Go to your local council website and look for the Road Safty Depo.

There should be a number to call and request one.

They will proberly say something like there hasnt been enough speed related accidents on that road so it doesnt meet the criteria for one. But we will look into it.
Old 16-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Cheers lil Joe
Old 16-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Ok let's have a debate on whether you think they are needed or not! I know there's alot of 'camera haters' out there but me personally i dont totally hate them as in some places they are genuinely needed. Discuss.....................
Old 16-09-2004, 11:27 AM
kay2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i fully understand where AJ is coming from, I live on the A470 in N wales, where i live is a 30 but most of the road is 60, this means they all just carry on doing 60 through the village, try reversing in or out of your drive with inconsiderate wankers accelerating towards you (which they do, rather than slowing down or waiting for two minutes) i think peoples attitude in general when driving on a main road sucks they have absolutely no consideration for the people that have to try and live there, i can wait up to 20 minutes sometimes for a space to even get in or out, then when one appaers some idiot trys to close it up by speeding up just incase thay have to wait for 20 seconds, then the hammer the horn and start swearing at you (this i dont mind as i just get out of the car and promptly watch them shit themselves) but when they do it to my 70 year old gran it really upsets her, food for thought guys next time your on a busy road watching someone trying to get in or out of there drive, just stop flash them out and everyone is on their way......rant over
Old 16-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

come to islington and take a few of ours, theres now 13 when i go to work , every fooking road has one and 1 road ( fooking 4 lanes wide down hill ) has 2 200 metres apart, im not gonna miss em, grap ya grinder and take as many as ya like

speed cameras are a good idea just like the parking regulations that when in place they exploit to gain money off people like highway robbery and dont actually give a shit if they work good aslong as they catch speeders, if speed cameras actually worked then why do so many people now have points ??????

its cause they dont work they gain revenue of people

sorry but i was a traffic warden and i knopw exactly what they do and how much they exploit the law and then when you appeal all they do is cancel the fine, now exactly winning as you wouldnt have to pay the fine anyway

dvla are the same with the fine for non sorning a car, i wrote a appeal even though i forgot to fill in a sorn and requested to go to court as the cars been off the road for 1 month before the tax ran out then sent a letter back in 48 hours canceling the fine , imagiune if i done the right thing and fucking payed it

60 quid for nothing
Old 16-09-2004, 11:37 AM
cossiecrew
PassionFord Post Whore!!

phil 4x4 saph whats all this about stupid number plates if i have a small plate it makes me a chav your a nonse
Old 16-09-2004, 11:43 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by b19bal
Speed cameras are a good idea just like the parking regulations that when in place they exploit to gain money off people like highway robbery and dont actually give a shit if they work good aslong as they catch speeders, if speed cameras actually worked then why do so many people now have points ??????

If people get caught on a camera, the camera failed to do its job IMO, there should be clearly visible signs (like on the road in fluorescent paint you can miss), not a little sign post three miles beforehand. The whole point should be to get EVERYONE to slow down to reduce accidents in hot spots, not just the ones that happen to have some sort of road awareness.

Cameras behind road signs, hidden in hedges or behind trees are just a money making scheme that achieves nothing for road safety.

Rant over.
Old 16-09-2004, 11:50 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I think that fixed cameras, that are not hidden, and take a pic of the back of your vehicle, are fine.

If you are not awake enough to see that fcuking great yellow box, then you probably won't be awake enough to spot real hazards either.

If they are in any way hidden, or will catch you from the front (not giving you any chance to slow down) then I think they are wrong.
Old 16-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by St3V3_C
I think that fixed cameras, that are not hidden, and take a pic of the back of your vehicle, are fine.

If you are not awake enough to see that fcuking great yellow box, then you probably won't be awake enough to spot real hazards either.

If they are in any way hidden, or will catch you from the front (not giving you any chance to slow down) then I think they are wrong.
My thought's exactly! Well done that man
Old 16-09-2004, 11:55 AM
McPikie
Banned

AJ............... what the fuck are the kids doing in the middle of the road?? Surely they know better than to get in the way of a high speed (50mph max) drag race between the F&F Nova and the rotting away so its lighter than a feather 205

Old 16-09-2004, 11:56 AM
K3V HA
PassionFord Post Troll

I agree with AJ, i live off a mian road and every fookin night, at around midnight, we get fookin chavs racing past at silly mph, i just liek to listen to the exhaust, and then listen out for a loud fookin bang! Thatd teach em.

Now, wheres my flourescent yellow jacket and hairdryer, im going to scare some chavs!!
Old 16-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

yeah but if you spend all your time looking at trees and hedges you are more risk of running a small child over as you aint looking at the road as you are looking for cameras

oh and when you see a camera i think the braking is also dangerous for other road users, most people slow down to 20mph for em too

oh and road angels are fucking dangerous aswell, when they have a false alarm when you are doing 120 and the call out "LASER LASER, CHECK SPEED"

fook me i got worried on the m6 tolls yesterday
cossiecrew
PassionFord Post Whore!!

aj just get ya self a police issue stinger then after youve used it a few times thell soon stop racing down your street
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Mate you cant stop kids running in the road for example if they kick a ball into the middle of it they tend to just run out & i know it's not the drivers fault if they hit that kid cos he/she's just run out infront of them but if the drivers sticking to the speed limits i.e 30 mph then there's more chance of them stopping in time.
Old 16-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by cossiecrew
aj just get ya self a police issue stinger then after youve used it a few times thell soon stop racing down your street
Or a fookin baseball bat
Old 16-09-2004, 12:00 PM
steve211
Regular Contributor

i do hate cameras ......but if used in areas of known accident spots or outside schools then i'm all for them
but a lot are used just to make revenue's like cameras put up on open straight roads.....whats the point in that other than to make money
Old 16-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

AJ dont take offence but if you ever have speeded in your life then your talking bollocks

how can you say dont speed opn the road as its dangerous, if you stick to 30 all will be good

what happens if yopu have a blowout at 120+, you aint gonna have fun when the vovlo with 5 kids hits ya and the flips and everyone dies, except you as it knocked you off the road

speed is dangerous, no doubt about it and cameras dont do fuck all about it except make money

if you want people to slow doen buy a micra and set a example to ervyone and then peopl will listen

not haveing a dig just thinking out loud, sell the cossie and evo cheep and buy a micra, infact im sure jim will swop ya his mums micra for the evo if yab put a bit of cash his way

oh and no kids should be playing near a road, thats why cul de sacs are invented
Old 16-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

I have speeded mate but i've since grown up & now i dont speed in built up areas.
Old 16-09-2004, 12:10 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Theres a speed camera on the A5 in Warwickshire near Nuneaton. This actually has boards counting down how far away from it you are. if you get caught, you're an idiot!

I think speed cameras are great if they're outside schools or accident black spots that have accidents proven to be caused by speed.

Residential areas... if its a choice between a speed camera or a loads of speed bumps, i'll take the camera every day of the week!
Old 16-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

well in islington in london we got fucking both, all side streets ( ie built up) have speed bump and all main roads have fucking cameras

i can do 5mph in the 20mph zones

some i cant even go down
Old 16-09-2004, 12:24 PM
McPikie
Banned

Originally Posted by AJ
I have speeded mate.
If you're gonna live here then learn our fucking language you illiterate coont. Its "Sped".

NB: Note to all Politically correct arsewipes.............. AJ knows the above comment is a joke
Old 16-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

glad ya never tried to correct mine, that would take you a week
Old 16-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

PMSL @ Mr. McPikie the english teacher Sorry sir
Old 16-09-2004, 01:01 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

If ALL camera's were for safety and not blatent revenue generating then I'm sure no-one would have a problem with any of them.

However there are none by the schools by my house but some on the open well lit stretch of dual carriagway that has no crossings, turnings or houses along it.

they're a fucking joke
Old 16-09-2004, 01:08 PM
cossymad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There never gonna put camera's on you road if you can see them.
They've used their quota putting them on roads where there is no chance of stopping an accident, only causing them. Or roads they are guarentee'd to catch speeders on.
Think of it like this;
If the government wanted to, they could impose that ALL cars had speed limiters or trackers so that a car could not exceed 70mph or if gps tracked could be shut down.
They don't, because they only want the money. Simple.
How many skid marks or tyre marks do you see approaching Traffic light camera's for example. They are actually causing More accidents than they prevent.
Old 16-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

@ chris

so fucking true
Old 16-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Speed camera's are absolutely no good at all. They have no use other than to make cash for our good friend Tony Blair.

The way to overcome the problem in this instance is to engineer out the ability to speed by the introduction of pinch points and/or speed tables.

I'm all for having a blast in the right place. Built up areas are not the right place however.
Old 16-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

AJ

I live near the A452 Collector road which runs parrell with the M6 past Castle brom and Chelmsley wood in Brum. It was a nat speed limit dual track road about 4 miles long.

In April 2001 I was envolved in a rather large accident- road closed, rolled car 4 times, hospital blah blah blah.
2 weeks later 2 chaps died at the same junction on this road in a sierra
3 weeks later a woman went into the grass central res and hit a lamp post- dead
4 weeks later and a delivery driver went into the back of an Artic pulling out of a layby. The never found all of him

Now 3 years later they have JUST put up the following.
3 speed cameras
Red tarmac at braking zones
Big count down signs to junctions
Lowered the speed limit to 50
crash barriers in the central res
And some signs that say

In the last 3 years
4 deaths
18 serious injuries
55 minor accidents

I went on a Speed awareness workshop with Warwks police on weds. My accident is only a minor bump because there were no life changing injuries.

MY prob with all this- IT TOOK 3 years to sort it. 3 fuckin years.. How many of those accidents could have been changed.

I am all for camera's in the right places and it pisses me off when people winge about getting caught.. I regularly speed.. I take the risk if I get caught i will do the time for it.
Not try and worm out of it or owt..

Anyway rant over

J
Old 16-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Well put shings
Old 16-09-2004, 01:52 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MattRS1600i
but some on the open well lit stretch of dual carriagway that has no crossings, turnings or houses along it.

they're a fucking joke
As long as they are not hidden, I disagree - they are going to eventually take the twats who are not paying attention off the road. This has to be a good thing surely?

It's a bit of an inconvenience to have to stick to the limit for that 30 seconds of your life but hey, what ya gonna do?

HOWEVER, I agree with your point that it might have been better to place them in real danger spots first though.

Quick Reply: Speed camera question *NOW A DEBATE*... are they needed?