General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Polish workers

Search this Thread

Old 28-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Phil
Jeebus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is a good thing for England. If we didn't have Polish workers then the jobs wouldn't stay in England anyway - most of the English people are far too lazy and have a really crap attitude towards work. It is the same here in Bangalore for the call centres, the guys here actually want to work. They are always really interested in their jobs and want to learn new skills.

In England all 90% of people do is whinge about their jobs and want money given to them on a plate. These people deserve to be put out of a job by a harder working foreign immigrant if you ask me.
Old 28-03-2007, 01:46 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

Originally Posted by Stavros
Originally Posted by cabrio zo
I probably could survive on less money, but for the lifestyle I enjoy need a decent salary.
Thing is, thats just tough shit isnt it

The lifestyle id LIKE to enjoy id need money more like Donald Trump, but i dont, and its tough shit, i dont blame people who are better at it (and less lazy and stupid ) than me at the jobs that pay better for me not having their money, its not their fault im on shit money is it

Not many people in the world make all they money theyd like to, and nobodys to blame apart from possibly themselves.
Neither do I blame anyone, just that I could survive on a lower salary but luckily I don't have to, I'm comfortable and happy with my lifestlye and salary, it my choice that I spend out on a mortgage for a 3 bed semi and help run 3 cars etc etc - yes of course I'd like to be earning triple figures and living the high life, just because I'm not I'm not bitter about anyone who is.
Doesn't bother or affect me that their are Poles working in the factory for minimum wage.

I thought if you were born in a Country you take on that Countries nationality? If you were born in Poland your Polish, but if you were born in Britain your British? (Nationality wise)

Z
Old 28-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cabrio zo
I thought if you were born in a Country you take on that Countries nationality? If you were born in Poland your Polish, but if you were born in England your English?
Whassat got to do with anything?

Tho I think your right, yeah.
Old 28-03-2007, 01:51 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just Rick said his parents are Polish but his mother was born here, just wondered if that made her British of nationality rather than Polish.

If you go on holiday and give birth in Spain that makes your baby Spanish? Or only if you register the birth there? Just that Brits are typically white etc then when other nationalities settle here and give birth, for instance a Chinese family the offspring is British even though does look like the typical English person (like saying a duck was born in a stable so its a horse?!) obviously thats why some British are referred to 'of Asian origin' etc, going a bit off topic... what in my tea today!

Z
Old 28-03-2007, 02:21 PM
jasonp
Advanced PassionFord User

Ive just taken on a hungarian lad here and hes probably the hardest working guy i have ever met in 15 years. He never wants to stop for lunch and if he has nothing to do he finds something elsewhere in the factory. He also is first here and last out. And i did employee an english guy doing his job and he was earning 3 times the wage and wasnt half as good.After a month the hungarian lad has had a payrise and ive never done that

I can see the down sides but if they work as hard as this guy i can see why so many are taking "our" jobs and living here
Old 28-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
The point is my family fought very hard for this country, and managed to make something of themselves from nothing. With me being polish, people don't differentiate from my family and those that have just arrived purely to make money. However, you have to commend anyone who wishes to better themselves and takes action to do so.
I do think it is wrong that people can come here with no grasp of the English language, that makes things difficult for everyone.
i have to agree.. my father worked hard to get his job and was very good at it.. he settled here after the war and after fighting with the british army for 3 years to rid the then nazi terrors can you blame him. most poles have stories about the war that we can only have nightmares over..
i meet alot of polish workers in my travels and was chatting to one who was a prison guard back in poland .. he earns more in 1 week than he used to in a month over here and he is an assistant manager in a retail unit..
if i could move and goto another country and get such a pay increase to be honest i would...
as said already most of the money is sent back to families or relatives, i remember my father sending medicines and money to his mother so not much has changed in that sense.
Old 28-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Matt J
This is a good post so far, not been ruined by the PF Nazi front, yet
I reckon it wouldve just from that thing about the foriegn banks, it seemed to be worded in a way to invite kickoff, but i quickly jumped in with a reality check before anyone had a chance to sound like a spacca.

About the "make money and go home" well, with all the racist morons in this country, can you blame em?

My old man came over here from Cyprus when he was I dunno, late teens, early 20s, he came over to visit an uncle in london who owned a barber shop, couldnt speak or read a word of english, and somehow got totally lost before he got to him.
No way to contact his uncle, no way of nothing really as he couldnt speak english, he spent a few month (3 or 6, i forget, maybe it was more) living on the London Underground till just by chance someone his uncle knew found him.
He taught him to cut hair, worked with him, then he moved down this way and started his own barbers, met my old dear, and the rest is history.
Worked on his own flat out 6 days a week for 25years or whatever.
Bet (tho ive never asked) hes has loadsa racism in the past, fuck, i had loads when i was young (10 or less, primary school) from people too thick to realise i wasnt whatever nationality they was saying i was.

And yeah, the above is pretty much why I see things in reality and not some blinkered bollocks like most do.
Old 28-03-2007, 03:40 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Whats nice is when you have a dentist all your life and mess it up by stupidly forgetting to re-book the next checkup on your way out due to other things on your mind and then lose your place as you ring up to book another after too many months that they allow. You then get advised to ring every so often to see if they can take you on.

After calling every month for a couple of months and being told theres no places you then get told they won't be taking anyone on for some time now as they just got forced to take a load of polish people on and they are totally full.

Perfect.
Old 28-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Personally i dont think its the polish who are the problem, MOST of them work for a living and are generally nice people, dont cause too much trouble from what i've experienced, and dont plan to take over the country!
Old 28-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Miss Fiesta Turbo
Personally i dont think its the polish who are the problem, MOST of them work for a living and are generally nice people, dont cause too much trouble from what i've experienced, and dont plan to take over the country!
So who IS then, as you clearly insinuating something here....

Those terrible dark skinned folk eh?
Old 28-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I didnt mention anyone else
Old 28-03-2007, 03:52 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stavros loves these topics, always on a mission.
Old 28-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

I didnt mention anyone else
Oh right, just...

i dont think its the polish who are the problem
Sounds like you saying someone else is.

dont cause too much trouble from what i've experienced, and dont plan to take over the country!
And whoever them problem people are you think cause loads of trouble and try to take over the world.

Sorry, maybe im imagining what your trying to say.

Originally Posted by skeg
Stavros loves these topics, always on a mission.
I just find em funny
Old 28-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Adam Ash
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I don't have a problem with Polish people working at our company, there are about 5 of them and ones a stunning Blonde bird

BUT what I do have a problem with is COLGATE PALMOLIVE the company I work for, Making everybody redundant and closing our factory down and moving it to fucking POLAND all in the name of cheap labour.

Talk about being sold down the fucking river..
Old 28-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Katie

A lot of the jobs polish people do are the jobs the lazy british people sat on benefits enjoying their plasma screen tv's and holidays in spain wouldn't dream of doing. There isn't a great demand for jobs working at 4am packing boxes or the like which the polish workers will happily do.

I couldn't care less where somebody comes from if they intend to get a job or do something useful...maybe we should do a one for one scheme..if we get a foreign person coming here...we send back one of our bone idle bastards in return.
Old 28-03-2007, 04:18 PM
ivorbiggun
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Quite ironic really to see TB et al wringing their hands about our 'evil slavery past' lately.

Give it another 200 hundred years and they'll all be 'how terrible it was to exploit the poor Chinese with slave wages back in the 21st Century".

It all amounts to the same thing really keeping 'the masses' (ie most
of us) down.
Old 28-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Got a few Polaks at our place,
On less money than the Ingleeeesh which IMO is wrong, but they aint shy and grab the overtime where the Ingleeeesh fuck off home,
Oh and some of the birds would get a right royal roasting And a couple have
Old 28-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, the birds are rather stunning....
Old 28-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

polish imo are great.

On our estate we have a block of apartments as per all new estates now. A lot of the apartments have young polish in them. They are quiet and respectfull.....i know for sure if it was full of young english there would be problems...
My mate owns a shed company and employs a few and they are grafters
Old 28-03-2007, 08:52 PM
simhopper
PassionFord Regular

nearly all poles come over to the uk claiming to be builders plasterers and plumbers saying there have built there own house

most of the fookers couldnt make a house from lego

there think there millionaires over here as there average wage is 60p per hour

but in the long run it will fook up all us

good thing now is i follow a few poles around fixing there work! there make pounds i make hundereds!
Old 28-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

If the polish can work and live in the UK on that wage, so can we.

They not taking anyones jobs apart from the people who are that stupid and lazy that someone who can barely speak english is STILL better than them.

Reminds me of that episode of southpark where the people from the future come to the past to get jobs.

They took our jobs!
Dey tuk our jerbs!
DEYTUKURJURRRBS!

Funny as fook episode

"They tuk er jeeerrrbbssss"
Old 28-03-2007, 09:51 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i know a couple of lads with car sales pitchs and they sell loads of
cars to the "sausage rolls" now they advertise in POLISH
ok you cant understand them properly but you get the gist.
they seem like a alright lot to me
Old 28-03-2007, 10:57 PM
PAUL V
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I reckon it wouldve just from that thing about the foriegn banks, it seemed to be worded in a way to invite kickoff, but i quickly jumped in with a reality check before anyone had a chance to sound like a spacca.

About the "make money and go home" well, with all the racist morons in this country, can you blame em?

My old man came over here from Cyprus when he was I dunno, late teens, early 20s, he came over to visit an uncle in london who owned a barber shop, couldnt speak or read a word of english, and somehow got totally lost before he got to him.
No way to contact his uncle, no way of nothing really as he couldnt speak english, he spent a few month (3 or 6, i forget, maybe it was more) living on the London Underground till just by chance someone his uncle knew found him.
He taught him to cut hair, worked with him, then he moved down this way and started his own barbers, met my old dear, and the rest is history.
Worked on his own flat out 6 days a week for 25years or whatever.
Bet (tho ive never asked) hes has loadsa racism in the past, fuck, i had loads when i was young (10 or less, primary school) from people too thick to realise i wasnt whatever nationality they was saying i was.

And yeah, the above is pretty much why I see things in reality and not some blinkered bollocks like most do.
Nail on head very well put.

My old man came from farm in Italy when he was 17 and worked in a factory grinding castings for 5 years ( it was a 5 year contract) he then got a job a Goodyear bulding tyres, he worked very very hard on piece work and i know i got stick from the english fo working to fast, he worked ther for 15 years +, my mother saw a fish and chip shop for sale and convinced my old man that they could make a go of it so they brought it.

Cut a long story short they both worked very very hard, my old man is now 66 and still does a full days work, he was working for me today and was still with me at work untill 8 to night, I think it is just a difrent working meantalty to what we have in the UK.

But i also think the youth of today get and expect so much and don't have to work for it like my mom and dad did, My old man used to walk 5 miles a day to work he could not afford a car or a bike.

Rant over
Old 28-03-2007, 11:17 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If there working hard for a bloody wage whats the problem man

Everyone needs money and to many lazy fookers out there , worked with many a polish guy on site and there always polite , hard working , and generous guys , must be hard for them over here , all they get is taking our jobs etc etc and shity attitude from everyone IMO , the fact is half of us fookers dont want to work and want this and that moan moan moan , we would do well to take a leaf out of the polish guys book !
Old 29-03-2007, 12:22 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Its a very stereotypical view to sugest all/most English are lazy or all Polish are great workers. Just as it is to say all muslims are bombers.

But for those polish that do work their socks of its because they have next to nothing at home whereas we live in a rich country. Some of you might have have work mates or mates from school who have rich parents and get free cars etc. SAME thing, they have no concept or a lesser concept of money. Therefore piss about.

In 3rd world countries you have 70 year old men digging the ground all day long for scraps to sell for a days food. Here they're retired and have their feet up.

You can bet any money though that in a few years time those Polish that do stay will be just the same as everyone else and be making demands once they become accustomed. Salaries, holiday pay, sickies, and skiving. Its not just accents and local slang you pick up after time.
Old 29-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Default Re: Polish workers

Originally Posted by T28 RST
One of them said they were getting Ł35 a month over there(cant confirm the truth in it) no wonder there over here for the money
Its all relative..... the houses over there don't cost around 300 - 500k either though do they.
The cost of living is simply cheaper
Old 29-03-2007, 08:46 AM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

How weird, was having a conversation about this with my dad and sister last night.

My sisters view was... the polish seem to be taking alot of our jobs

My Dad's view (He's a manager and hires ppl) .. the polish he has hired have always worked alot harder and like he said when you are running a buisness you want a more reliable/hard worker .. not branding all polish as hard workers and britains as lazy.. its just what he's come across.

What does my head in, is when ppl from other countries, come over to live and they all talk in their ow language (ok maybe its my paranoia thinking they are talking about me ) or when your at a pub/restuarant/shop and ask for something they cant understand you
Old 29-03-2007, 08:47 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by neilm
Originally Posted by smudgerz
As for wages, they are on the same as me BUT pay no tax or national insurance for 2 years.
Is this true?
If they are working here on a visa and arent registered as living in the UK then yes I'm pretty sure it is.. because their home is in Poland.

But the visa is 2 years... which is why the place gets flooded out with fookin Aussies working in bars and earning the english pound for 2 years.. I wouldnt mind if we could go and do that over there for 2 years but we cant its only a year.

And as for moving to other countries... I'd go to Oz in a shot if my personal circumstances were different, but unless you've got a skill they need or a big wad of cash they dont want to know... 'Names Not Down You Aint Coming in'

Which is right... we should do that, bring something to the country, not try and find something for yourself once you are here.
Not quite true Neil. Two years can be obtained here which was changed back in 2004 I believe. 1 year as an ordinary backpacker meeting the 3 month maximum in any one job and a second year as something to do with agricultural I think. I did the research for my brother a couple of years back but meeting the second year requirements is harder. Was a lot of outcry over the years about the 2 year in the UK and 1 year here.

I have read in numerous places about the Poles being harder workers and as said by others, there are so many lazy Brits (well anywhere but we are talking about Britain). I used to work in warehouses during uni and would pick and pack stuff for half a shift while the others stood around chatting at the back in the racking.

Only Pole I knew was on my course at uni and was the laziest fooker I had ever come accross and with his mate, I reckon turned up to a combined total of 1 semester over 4 years!
Old 29-03-2007, 09:10 AM
gaz s1

i wonder how tolerant you all will be when a uninsured polish driver smashes into your pride and joy
Old 29-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gaz s1
i wonder how tolerant you all will be when a uninsured polish driver smashes into your pride and joy
true... but there are probably a damn sight more uninsured and untaxed cars with british drivers than polish! and imo the british drivers are more likely to drive like a cock!

just my opinion though!
Old 29-03-2007, 09:19 AM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i hope you all note that the house prices have not dropped even though they are being built at a fraction of the cost by poles who have never served any sort of apprenticeship in the uk.

when you move in to your nice new kit house it will all be good for a while but i can tell you rite now the standard that they are being built to is not "british"standard and you will find this out in a decades time or so when its falling down around you or laden down with damp.

as for the hard working arguement ,dont confuse hard working with long hours as this is what the poles are about.if i was working away from home i would do all the hours i could but if i'm not then i have a family friends and a life outside fuckin work!

now uk workers its your turn
"MADE IN BRITIAN"used to mean you had bought an unrivaled in quality product, more effort to take pride in your work is required.(it was quality that got britian its name not quantity).
Old 29-03-2007, 09:27 AM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I reckon it wouldve just from that thing about the foriegn banks, it seemed to be worded in a way to invite kickoff
To be fair it was a genuine question but looking back I can see it could be construed that way

Z
Old 29-03-2007, 10:45 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
i share Steve's views, altho not quite so strongly.

if someone can do your job for less money, then is that their fault, or yours?

the unseen (by many) benefits of cheap labour mean that the economy benefits, which means you create more better paid, higher skilled jobs.

if you dont like your job being taken by a pole, get a better job.

if you dont have any skills and can't get a better job, well, you should have listened to the people that told you to stay in school
It's ok for us Jim. They need English speaking folk in IT jobs, as the users we serve are often that stupid they have trouble understanding what we say to them as it is, let alone a foreigner with a language barrier!
Old 29-03-2007, 10:51 AM
phil4x4saph

There is a polish couple living next door to me - they are perfect neighbours!
A couple of years ago there was an english woman living there - what a pain in the arse! - Parties every weekend, people coming and going all day and night - fuck knows what she was up to!
Polski's every time!!

A mate got engaged to his polish girlfriend last year, I remember the party right up till someone shouted "Home made polish lemon vodka!"

It was all blurry after that!!

We get loads of Polish customers at work, most of them speak a reasonable amount of english and are usually freindly.

The Latvians and Lithuanians are the grumpy ignorant ones in my experience.
Old 29-03-2007, 11:40 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well this has turned into a sensible debate for a change....

Couple of things that some people perhaps need reminding of.

We, as a nation went to war to liberate the likes of Poland and as a result of winning the war we (The Allies) had to pay War Duties to Germany to help them rebuild their country, as a result we had rationing in this country for a further 10 years after the war. So to have money to give to other countries wasnt really a happening deal. We also took many many refugees both during and after the war.

Its like the Bosnian Crisis and the war in Iraq, we are there to help free people from oppression so they can live freely in their countries and their countries can grow and prosper. We're not their so they can all come running over here, if that was the case, forget sending troops just send cruise liners and bring them over by the boat load and save all the blood shed.

I am glad that people are finding the Polish hard working and respectful after all, many of our grand parents gave their lives so that these young people are able to come here. BUT What I really hate are these immigrants who think because they have a right to be here they can treat people in this country badly, with no respect and they walk round like they own the place, they have no manners and are rude. (mainly other eastern europeans and particularly africans)

Back in the 50's and 60's we were a growing country with nowhere near the population we have now and imigrants like Stavros's dad were welcomed as a way of filling gaps in the labour market, but we are no longer a growing nation we are full to the brim, we are a nation in crisis, our health service is at absolute breaking point, our police force is stretched to the limits, Prisons are full, we havent the council houses available to people like we did back in the 60's where a hard working family could get a council house, we are closing small schools and children with special needs are being dumped back into the mainstream, our road network needs upgrading and repairing, we need to sort our railways out......

I'm not saying these people are causing these problems but for a country to grow it needs money in its economy, I just feel we are being milked, taken for everything we have to offer and thats not just by Polish migrant workers its for any immigrant coming here looking for a better life.

We didnt all run away to another country for a better life, we just invaded them, remember the sun never used to set on the British Empire
Old 29-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dovboy
"MADE IN BRITIAN"used to mean you had bought an unrivaled in quality product, more effort to take pride in your work is required.(it was quality that got britian its name not quantity).
how long ago do you mean ???
i have worked on the so called british quality machinery ..and the build quality was absolutly wank.. you get a seal kit .. and in the kit is a big tube of sillicone sealant.. needed to make the gaskets seal
the same type of stuff from america .. everything fits like it should do even the italians and spanish dont build that bad a coffee machine anymore
Old 29-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

neilm
Old 29-03-2007, 12:49 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh and the other thing...

People say its a benefit to the economy all this cheap labour..

But what is going to happen to the 'Pollard Generation', the 'Yeah But No Buts' of this world who have no qualifications and are generally thick as fcuk, traditionally they would end up in a lot of the low paid, unskilled jobs the Poles and others are taking now.

This means... the underclass of thick fcuks will have no opportunities in a modern labour market and will have to be supported on benefit by the likes of you and me....

There is no short term gain wihout long term pain...
Old 29-03-2007, 12:50 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

neilm

Quick Reply: Polish workers