General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Quick Q regards ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 05:14 PM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl
Bloody hell all those of you who reckon I'm in the wrong!!!
Cos you are

The guy selling the laptop would not have allowed me to view the item beofre I bid you plums!! If he won't let me pick it up and pay him in person, he was hardly likely to let me view before I bid !!!!!!
Then you shouldn't have entered into a legal contract to buy it then
Old 04-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Piss off John!
Old 04-09-2004, 05:19 PM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

Ha ha!!
Old 04-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

LOL, I simply want to make sure I don't get ripped off!
Old 04-09-2004, 05:30 PM
DuncanK
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Give Karl a break for gods sake!

I dont think anyone in their right mind would just throw away their hard earned cash if they felt something fishy was going on, i know i certainly wouldnt!

Fair enough the bloke doesnt want you round his gaff to collect the laptop but refusing to meet at a mutual location? That would make my alarm bells start ringing!
Old 04-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

LOL, I simply want to make sure I don't get ripped off!
dont buy mine then
Old 04-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Phil
Jeebus

I can see both sides of the argument here, but at the end of the day I would not put my money into something I was unsure of, and the fact he was so quick to offer a cancellation of the sale shows to me that there is more to it than meets the eye. It may be a simple case of the auction not making as much money as he had hoped, so he will be an arse to try and stop you buying it so that he can relist it and try and make more money on it.

I have sold/bought things off ebay (not a huge amount but more than Karl) and not once have I had a problem collecting items from peoples houses, meeting at random places, or people collecting things from myself.

At the end of the day it's a lot less work on my part if someone comes and collects the item!

Take his offer and walk away!
Old 04-09-2004, 05:55 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Weevil
And honestly, it really is not me selling the laptop! If it was, a pre-legal action letter would be winging its way to Karl as we speak.
What a cock
Old 04-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by gurnE
Originally Posted by Weevil
And honestly, it really is not me selling the laptop! If it was, a pre-legal action letter would be winging its way to Karl as we speak.
What a cock
A helpful addition to the discussion - well done.

If it was me that was selling the laptop then so far I would have had my time wasted by a non-paying bidder, and I would have incurred costs associated with the Ebay advert and the amount of the winning bid, and when I re-advertise the item due to having been messed around there's a risk the item will not sell for as much as the original winning bid that was not honoured. I would therefore be perfectly entitled to seek recovery of my costs from the non-paying bidder who breached his legal obligation to complete the sale.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:25 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've been messed around a few times on Ebay, I've also got 100% positve feedback.

I'd also have no problem with someone collecting goods from me or if I had my doubts meeting them in a public place as I have nothing to hide.

This bloke is clearly hiding something imo so your opinion is to simply pay him and wait to get ripped off????

I stand by my previous comment
Old 04-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

weevil,

Sorry but I think you're being pathetic and pedantic! LOL @ pre-legal letter, I'd tell you to come round in person and tell me that!!! LOL

It's people like you who are so arsey that make a genuine buyer like myself reluctant to use ebay.

Let me reiterate to you once more since you don't seem to be listening to me!!

I WANT TO PICK UP THE LAPTOP AND PAY THE GUY THERE AND THEN SO THAT I KNOW I'M GETTING A LAPTOP AND NOT GOING TO GET RIPPED OFF!

If you can't understand that then you're as stupid as your name implies!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:33 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not really a legal contract ffs, id like to see anyone actually take another person to court and see what it costs

oh and then id like to see the next case as id then visit the computer geek who did take me to court and get me money back after taking my own costs

be serious ffs, Karl has every right to be worried as soo many people have been stung on ebay, its always te honest people who get fucked

how many times have ya sold a car, held it for someone and then its not as its discribed

as switch about the mint 2wd saph cossie we went to see that was kicking out 250 bhp on a rebuilt engine

had a 2wd cooler, standard turbo and there was sooo much shite on the block it aint been rebuilt in a few years

didnt even have a breather as well

sorry but i never went oh i did ask ya to stay for me to get there as i was in traffic, its nothing like ya discribed but ill buy it anyway for what ya asked

no i explained im not sure, he repected it and we both parted like gentleman

infact i bidded for a cossie on ebay, if it turned out to be a bit of shite i would have payed his ebay fees and told him what to discribe the shed as

karl buy matts and then over charge him on the next few services for oil ect and get ya money back
Old 04-09-2004, 06:33 PM
RSrussell
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sheesh some people would argue that grass isn't green and the sky isn't blue
Old 04-09-2004, 06:38 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

oh and ya should see my feedback

the guy who sold me the modem and never sent it never gave me feed back, nor did i as i aint that sad

until the last day to leave feed back and he said total messer, dont use, no contact

i did have contact

tbh i dont give a shite about feed back, so easy to make various ebay accounts via all ya credit cards ect

how many of you have ahd a few mates bid up ya item to get more for ya money, i know ive done it for a few

was gonna do it on jims car but i didnt wanna risk jim giving me negative feedback , could ya imagine having bad feed back of jimbo
Old 04-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Mark_w
Advanced PassionFord User

Bloody hell all those of you who reckon I'm in the wrong!!!
you are wrong karl....i would be pissed off and do everything i could to get the money from you if i was the seller....you bid to buy,not to look or to ask to pick up,he stated the postage costs,so that means he posts it....i wouldnt want someone i didnt know picking up an item at my house and i have good feedback.....he has good feedback so pay the guy ffs

mark
Old 04-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ok but mark waht happens if he gets screwed, the mint conditon laptop has mising pixels in the screen that the seller never told him about

would that just be another thing to put down as life and then buy another laptop like a lemming on ebay

sorry but Karl is in the right ,( for once )
Old 04-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Mark_w

simple...if you have that attitude you shouldnt use ebay,and buy from your local store
Old 04-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

no bolocks id rather use ebay like all the honest people who use it and then its would be more of a sucess rather than people who pray on trusting people to make easy money

id rather cut the fuckers dick of than have someone rip a member of my family or friend off

just cause people can rob ya house to make money ya gonna leave ya door open so they dont smash a window
Old 04-09-2004, 07:14 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I look forward to the day Markrs and wevil get ripped of on ebay.

See if their opinion changes then
Old 04-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

yeah whats there ebay id's

ill sell em a strap-on and fuck em with it
Old 04-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Mark_w

that nice....i have a feedback of 172 and you have to trust people that have good feedback(its a good system) ...in 2 years i havent had a problem as i buy from someone who has good feedback and dont ask questions after the auction,asking any questions before end of auction...simple really

mark
Old 04-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Mark_w

Originally Posted by b19bal
yeah whats there ebay id's

ill sell em a strap-on and fuck em with it
keep your strap on for your boyfriend mate
Old 04-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Phil
Jeebus

Maybe this eBayer is going to get a visit from the NMS internet mafia
Old 04-09-2004, 07:51 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

yeah matt and tiff will sit on him as karl remaps his mind
Old 04-09-2004, 07:57 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mark rs

that nice....i have a feedback of 172 and you have to trust people that have good feedback(its a good system) ...in 2 years i havent had a problem as i buy from someone who has good feedback and dont ask questions after the auction,asking any questions before end of auction...simple really

mark
I have 100% positive feedback

I feel this is because I am easy to deal with.

I have had ebay'ers collect things from my house, I have also collected things from other people.

Now if someone has built up good feedback by buying things worth about Ł1 and then offers a high priced piece of electrical equipment for sale.

Nothing to wrong with that but if the same person refuses to allow collections or even meet in a mutually agreed public place then unless you are pretty fookin thick alarm bells should be ringing.

The world is full of wankers looking to rip you off.

I envy you if up to this point in your life you have not discovered this.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:17 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

in my opinion you shud have gone round to view b4 bidding

i am happy for ppl to collect from my gaf but i sold a roof on ebay (esc cab) and had 20+ pics in a link to a online albumn
bloke turns up and says "i got another to look at ill get back to you"
i said get back to me if you like but you bought this 1 !!
ill give you a hand to you car

he paid and off he went
but hes not come round to look at it or anything
it was what it was so its his

but...
i see your point so if i were you i would just turn up at his house and have a look. if he says bugger off, you done your best, tell him you will neg his FB
least you only have a few FB so its not a wrench to get a new user and start again (if you care about your rating)

i have 100% pos and 100 fb
Old 04-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Ah Fook it do whatever you like.

Why do people on here ask questions then not like the answers. Id hate to be one of the tuners that gets this sort of grief when they answer questions

Ask him where to send the cheque, then go round with the cash. If its not as described tell him there and then, otherwise exchange cash for goods and fook off home.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:31 AM
MAD ANDY
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I can see both sides of the argument but unfortunately Karl, in the eyes of ebay, your in the wrong, even though morally your right. However those 'tems and conditions' when signing up that no one ever reads will mention how ebay works which you agreed to.

If you went to a car auction and bid on a car and won then asked to hear it running afterwards, should you then say you dont want it its tough - you should have looked at the car beforehand as you were able to. Even if yo had and won, then took it out on the road and all the gears were knackared, you couldnt refuse payment then as again they would say "thats the risk you take in buying at auction". In an ebay auction for a car the same thing applies hence why sellers state "you are bidding to buy NOT to view" ie if you want to view do so before bidding. In this instance, the seller did not state you could view before bidding, therefore you shouldnt have bid Its tough I know, I got stung similar, however they are the rules we signed up to when using ebay. I bought an in-car power converter for Ł19 from a guy who lived a few streets away and so rather than pay the Ł8 special delivery I said I would pick it up, however he refused. Through loads of arguing we eventually mutually agreed not to move forward with the sale, but something as simple to us as picking something up can mean something totally different to someone else. This bloke you bought from for instance may have another 20,000 laptops stacked up in a room and doesnt want you to see them. His house may be a mansion in the middle of nowhere that he doesnt want people to assess how to break in etc. He may have some shit hot cars outside that he doesnt want people to see. He may have allowed collectors in the past and had a bad experience with one and thus blankly now refuses any more collectors etc. There is also the other side which could be someone who has hacked into a genuine ebay account and wants your money for something they are never going to deliver (a mate had this recently with some Madonna tickets he wanted for his family costing Ł300, ebay eventually confirmed the account had been hacked!) and so for these reasons I would definitely advise that you DONT move forward with the deal, but in the eyes of ebay you have still done wrong by "assuming" you can do certain things such as view -after- the auction and visit the seller at his home when the rules state that winning an auction is a legally binding contract as agreed in the terms and conditions and the sellers requirements on the page you bid on. Anything you are unsure of such as whether you can see the laptop working or pay on collection ebay would say would either be mentioned in the ad or should be found out via "ask seller a question" -before- the auction end, once ended though all they will say is that you are bound to pay the seller and should the items not be described, action to be taken afterwards. As said, I've been in the same position only for something of far less value, and its taught me that should I be interested in doing the same thing I'll either find these out before bidding, or will pay extra from a local shop with the security that comes with it. Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:01 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Hang on a minute..................

1. Karl can't view the item before, as the guy has expressed no face to face contact.

2. Yes, on Ebay, you bid to pay, not to view.

3. However, NOTHING overrules your statutory rights.

It might be unfortunate, but certainly not legally wrong. Karl cannot be found guilty of owing any money, as he has offered a solution to the situation that should satisfy both parties, and not inconvenience anybody.

The only way I can see this not being the case is if the seller clearly specified that he would only accept postal order payment and specified that he wanted no contact.

A few years back, I got ripped off the same way.

Guy nice on the phone. Couldn't pick the items up for some reason......... Postal orders sent................. Phone number no longer exists. Typical scam.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:05 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by MAD ANDY
If you went to a car auction and bid on a car and won then asked to hear it running afterwards, should you then say you dont want it its tough - you should have looked at the car beforehand as you were able to. Even if yo had and won, then took it out on the road and all the gears were knackared, you couldnt refuse payment then as again they would say "thats the risk you take in buying at auction".
That's no true at all.

My Dad worked at ADT car auction for twenty years, and the same rules always apply.

There are two ways of buying - sold as seen or customer indemnity. Bear in mind the contract to purchase the vehicle is with the seller, and not the auction house.

Sold as seen is as described - if it's fucked, tuff shit.

Customer idemnity will actually give you the opportunity to return the vehicle if faulty.
Old 05-09-2004, 10:18 AM
MAD ANDY
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Rich, my point was if it was a "sold as seen" auction hence like you say "tuff shit", as the customer is not offering a warranty with the laptop hence thats "sold as seen" also

Also
It might be unfortunate, but certainly not legally wrong. Karl cannot be found guilty of owing any money, as he has offered a solution to the situation that should satisfy both parties, and not inconvenience anybody
unfortunately it doesnt "satisfy both parties" (as the seller said no) and may "inconvenience" the seller hence the solution is not satisfactory.

The only way I can see this not being the case is if the seller clearly specified that he would only accept postal order payment and specified that he wanted no contact.
at the bottom of the auction it states the sellers requirements where he can choose to state "COD" cash on delivery, the seller appears not to have done this and it sounds as if the only options he has clearly stated are "postage". As said i totally agree on a moral point, however from ebay's point if there is ANYTHING you are unsure about you ask BEFORE bidding, once the bidding ends with you as a winner you are legally obliged to pay up whether you like it or not. Its the nature of the beast unfortunately. I won a set of BMW trims recently and only after I won did I find out they are titanium in colour and not matt chrome which I was after (didnt realise they did titanium). If I asked to go and see them and decided they were not the correct colour that I was after and the sellers "silver" was misinterpreted, thats tough shit, I should have asked this before winning and so I had to pay such is life, I agreed to these terms and will follow them through hence why I have 100% fb with 179 total.

The point I mentioned in the other post about the Ł8 postage cost I tried to catch the seller out by looking at this page

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policie...-shipping.html

however as it clearly states

"The seller is responsible for determining the shipping and handling charges on listings, and eBay encourages sellers to clearly describe the item and terms of shipping and delivery in their listings to avoid possible confusion. Before bidding on an auction or buying in a fixed-price listing, bidders/buyers should contact the seller about any questions they might still have that are not directly answered in the item's description."

It sounds in karls auction the seller did clearly state he would ONLY accept postage (as COD was not an option) and karl did -not- contact the seller to ask this before bidding as encouraged above

it also states

"When a bid is placed, the bidder is entering into an agreement with the seller to purchase the item, which most often means incurring shipping charges that may also include handling fees."

says it all unfortunatly. I dont think Karl should pay up though as it sounds a little dodgy, merely pointing out that the rules say he should.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

so, karl, what did you do?

ive got 52 positives now