General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Quick Q regards ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Weevil
er, so you bid on a laptop and assumed that the seller would let you visit him at home to inspect it before deciding whether to pay? That's not how Ebay works. Your winning bid is a legal contract. Pay the man. If the laptop is fooked or nicked you will have to sue him.

If you are not content with the way Ebay works then you shouldn't have bid.
yer but karl is willing to pay obviously the quickest way for both buyer and seller

Old 03-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

yer but karl is willing to pay obviously the quickest way for both buyer and seller

That's not what Karl said in his first message - he wants to go around and check it so "that I can ensure it is a genuine sale and also check it is perfect as desribed." The time for checking and deciding whether it is genuine/perfect etc was before the auction ended. Karl won the auction. He has an obligation to pay. The seller didn't say that he DID accept callers so the deal is winning bid + postage.

Put the boot on the other foot. What if you'd paid to sell an item on Ebay and some guy won it (so you incurred the further Ebay costs) but the guy then said he wanted to come round and have a look before deciding whether to buy it. Would you not think that was out of order? I would.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:31 PM
alan rainbow
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

karl in a word NO dont even bother
Old 03-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weevil,

Sorry but you're talking bollox.

Yes I may have bid on a laptop based on a description, but I will only pay if the item matches the description. The only way I can ensure this is by viewing the item before money is exchanged.

Thats the way I use ebay, otherwise if you play it your way, you stand to lose money because there's a lot of twats out there who will rip you off selling products which are not as described!!

I'm not trusting enough to send money to somone I dont know, for a product I've never seen!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:48 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can see why the seller might be worried to meet you ( you could turn up with a group and nick the laptop) on the other hand i can say that i would want to see the laptop 1st before handing over any money.

maybe a phone call would persuade him that your genuine and that a nuetral meeting place is a good idea?
Old 03-09-2004, 11:59 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just call around mate. once your there and flash some cash he's not going to refuse you to look at it. chances are you'll find out the reason he doesn't want you to call around when you get there - i bet its fooked.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:00 AM
MK1Hippy
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

If the fella only live 15mins away why dont you just turn up on his door with the cash? if he looks dodgy just make up some bollock excuse like "is johny there?, johny who?, johny leggit" and quickly turn and do a runner lol

(that takes my back to my mis-spent youth lol)
Old 04-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

but I will only pay if the item matches the description. The only way I can ensure this is by viewing the item before money is exchanged

That makes perfect sense in the real world but by the very nature of the fact that Ebay is an auction, the idea is that you satisfy all your concerns before you bid, not after. As it stands at the moment you have won the auction for the laptop and you have a moral if not legal obligation to make the purchase. If the goods turn out to be not as described that is an issue for you, ebay, and if the seller aint playing, any court action you might be able to take.

Furthermore, from what you have said above the terms of the auction included that the item would be posted for a fee. Again, by the fact that you have bid you have agreed to those terms including the amount of postage. You shouldn't have assumed that the seller would be happy to meet you because you live fairly close to him. You should have checked with him before you bid.

If the terms also specified payment only by cheque, then by bidding you have also agreed to that as well.

If the guy selling the item wanted to make a complaint to Ebay about you then you wouldn't have a leg to stand on, though I fully understand why you want to see the item before you pay. You've just gone about things in the wrong order.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:09 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

weevil,

I'm affraid you are still in the wrong. EBAY is NOT an Auction. Repeat NOT an Auction.

Yes it has an auction style method in purchasing, but it is not run under Auction rules.............(An auction allows public viewing of items, which ebay can't offer)

"eBay is The World's Online Marketplace™. It is a community where individuals and merchants have equal opportunity to buy and sell new or used goods at fair prices"
Old 04-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

I'm affraid you are still in the wrong. EBAY is NOT an Auction. Repeat NOT an Auction.

Yes it has an auction style method in purchasing, but it is not run under Auction rules.............(An auction allows public viewing of items, which ebay can't offer)

"eBay is The World's Online Marketplace™. It is a community where individuals and merchants have equal opportunity to buy and sell new or used goods at fair prices"
Hmm - clearly Ebay aren't aware of this:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/education/tu...bidding_2.html
Old 04-09-2004, 12:16 AM
*Andy*
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Go elsewhere IMO.

I've just been ripped off myself and now wish I had used a proper shop.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:17 AM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

do you actually know where he lives yet or not though?

it looks very very dodgy.

ebay is a service to my understanding. with policies in place to protect people.

now it may be the issue that he cant be bothered with the hassle of arranging to meet you... if you dont know where he lives how do you know its 15 mins for example?
if it was straight forward enough to just pop something in the post and pay Ł10 that he hasnt got to foot the bill for then fair do's.
does the laptop have an OS installed? for you to check it? how far will you have to go to get it etc?

I can kinda see his point, but personally if it was a legit sale on my part then id arrange a time to meet you to guarrantee the sale. and mean that I didnt have to readvertise and repay etc...

it just smells funny...
Old 04-09-2004, 12:17 AM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

And for the avoidance of doubt as to the legal position you are now in:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/education/tu...1/after_1.html

(foot of page)
Old 04-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Fuck me weevil, you're making this hard work.

The link you have posted simply tells us what we allready know, that it uses auction style bids and that we have a contractual tie to then buy within the ebay rules.

I totally agree with this, however what the issue here is that I want to ensure the seller is genuine before I part with the money. It is not a case of do I still want the laptop, it is a case of making sure it actually exists before I hand over money. The only way I can do this is by seeing the laptop with my own eyes at the time I hand over the money. The seller did not mention anything about not being able to collect. He simply put payment by cash, cheque or paypal!

Fuck me, I've worked it out, it's you whos selling the laptop is'nt it matey!
Old 04-09-2004, 12:30 AM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

contact ebay aswell for advice Karl as I think they have a claims procedure that guarrantees the goods aswell or they will resolve or refund the money themselves if not reasonable.

by ebay rules and how it is set-up then you are still effectively in the wrong as weevil is stating. but ebay should be used as a medium exactly the same as any other advertising method IMO.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Melv, are you saying then that ebay states you have to pay for goods without any proof they exist. All I'm asking to do is see the goods before I hand over cash. If this can't be done then ebay is a complete crock of dodgy shite and is nothing more than a crooks paradise!

no where else in the world are you restricted from viewing goods before you buy so I refuse to believe ebay is any different, else I'm going to start selling complete 600bhp cossie engines for a couple of grand, that dont actually exist, take money for said item and then do a runner! ROFLOL
Old 04-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

Blimey Karl, if you bought my laptop off me (which I bought off Ebay without seeing it) you'd probably kick my ass - its fooked. Was cheap though...

The thing is, if what you are saying now is that you just want to check that the laptop exists, then really that is something you should have thought about before bidding. Its not how Ebay works and the buyer/seller relationship is primarily based on trust. I took a chance on this laptop I have and luckily I could probably sell it on as parts and get my money back, but I would never go high value on anything on Ebay again. Too stressful waiting for the damn thing to arrive!

Why don't you pay him by PayPal? You get a degree of protection with that (can't remember how much ŁŁŁ though).

But if you do end up not buying the laptop you will no doubt be on the wrong end of some negative feedback and a complaint to Ebay.

Good luck anyway!
Old 04-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

weevil and you smoking the wacky backy! Im worried about being done over, and yet the very same thing actually happened to you and you're defending ebay rules.

Are you for real?

It's cases like yours im trying to avoid, so Im being bloody sensible by wanting to collect the goods in person, that way everyone gets what they want.

Fook sake I honestly am lost for words weevil, you're quite amazing!!!!

Sorry edited to add I think you're an idiot weevil I really do!
Old 04-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think weevil is right tho mate if u dont like how ebay works try trade it or somthing where it is based on u meeting up face to face.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:58 AM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

this is why i dont use ebay
Old 04-09-2004, 01:30 AM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Karl
Melv, are you saying then that ebay states you have to pay for goods without any proof they exist. All I'm asking to do is see the goods before I hand over cash. If this can't be done then ebay is a complete crock of dodgy shite and is nothing more than a crooks paradise!
alot of mail order type companys work this way.
you look at pictures etc and make a choice... will it come like that... yes no?

I bought an exhaust manifold once by mail order as id seen ones by the same company at motorshows etc... when I got it - it was the biggest crock of shit id ever seen... I wouldnt put it near my car with its baby primaries.... gave me a right mither to get them to take it back.
sometimes depending on price and local availability you have to take a gamble. this gamble looks dodgy though.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:44 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Originally Posted by Karl
All I'm asking to do is see the goods before I hand over cash. If this can't be done then ebay is a complete crock of dodgy shite and is nothing more than a crooks paradise
Karl, you hit the nail on the head there mate
Old 04-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so basically weevil your saying karl shoudl just pay up and get ripped off like you, qualitay advice

karl, sounds dodgy lad, leave well alone imo

i have a laptop (spec far outweighs your old knocker ) and could do with the cash more than the laptop so i may be tempted to let it go, give me a buzz if yer interested
Old 04-09-2004, 10:33 AM
AD-RS1600i
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a stolen laptop to me Why else you not want to meet some face to face to sort a transaction? either that or it is not as it is described either way he is hiding something. Unless of course it is actually IMA who is selling the laptop and by going round you may unveil his secret identity

I sold a RS1600i fog lamp with some guy off ebay, and we agreed that he could come round and pick it up. Saved all the hastle and possible risk of posting it.

Besides, posting a delicate high valve item through the post for only a Ł10 is risky enough anyway. If postman pat drops it, your pretty much screwed on getting it repaired for reasonable money without a warrenty (laptop screens alone are usually about Ł800 roughly to replace on boggo cheapo Dell Latitude).

I'd walk away I think.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Doh
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

agree with karl, according to ebay rules he has every right to refuse an item if it isn't as described, simple. IMO stolen and not working items fall under that catergory.

Karl, my advice is take his offer to end the auction mutualy as this is a key indication its dodgy, he knows he can resell (or ripoff) a more trusting buyer but doesn't want to scar his feedback without a sale. If you give him bad feedback, then he will no doubt retaliate screwing your feedback, although to be fair if you've only got 3 then you could just sign up again with a different user at 0.

Expecting someone to purchase a complicated piece of electrical equipment without viewing is stupid, i target these kinda items that are local to me so i can view them, a genuine seller will have no problem with this. I have experienced it before by its obviously to allow the seller to make a few bob on postage, but i'm only talking about things like CD's etc, obviously not much to go wrong or money to loose. I once bought a CD of a guy 4 miles away, he made up some bullshit why i couldn't collect charge me 2.50 for delivery and them hand delivered in though my door

One thing i've learned with ebay is that items will always come up again
Old 04-09-2004, 11:07 AM
morcheen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

or he could just be really ugly
Old 04-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

so basically weevil your saying karl shoudl just pay up and get ripped off like you, qualitay advice

Well he should pay-up - he is legally obliged to.

But to be more precise, what I am saying is that I should have made the appropriate enquiries BEFORE the auction ended and satisfied myself that the laptop existed and was as described, and that the seller was trustworthy etc etc. If you can bothered to read the tutorial on Ebay you will see that what I am saying is exactly how Ebay expect it to work. Once the auction has been won though, the time for asking questions is over. Pay-up.

The guy selling the laptop that Karl has won could be totally legit. If Karl refuses to buy because he has now decided that he was not happy with the terms of the auction (which will have been something like this is the laptop, is in good condition, if you win it it will be posted to you), the guy could theoretically sue Karl for breach of contract. In that instant the Court will not be interested in Karl wanting to make sure he is not getting ripped off. They will look at the terms of the auction, express and implied, and that Karl accepted those terms by placing a bid.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:52 AM
3doorPete
PassionFord Regular

Don't do it Karl - I have a guy coming to collect a wireless modem router at my house tomorrow morning. He looks ok with loads of good feedback - if not, I'd have just met him in a pub car park.

Not worth the risk. If he's happy not to give neg feedback, then you're laughing.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:52 AM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

I agree with karl here, if you buy something on ebay you have the right to check that the items are as described , if they are then you buy, thats the way i see it anyway.

If you bought a car on ebay and the floor number was dodgy would you buy it just because you won the auction, imo its also unpractical to go and view every auction that you bid on.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:59 AM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

weevil.. if karl refuses to pay because the goods arent as described then the guy couldnt do fook all...

I think basically all karl wants to do is check that it exists and he isnt being ripped off?

ok he should of asked all this before he bidded if it was ok to come look at it etc or if it was ok to pick up - but that time is now gone. and it 'appears' as though this guy is a rip off merchant as he is not willing to budge at all on it.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

I can see whats happening, but Im with Weevil.

You should have gone and looked BEFORE you bid. That way you wouldnt be wondering if its legit AFTER you've entered the contract to buy it.

eBay sucks.

Oh and as for the quote about it being a boot sale either fooked or nicked. Whatever do you mean?

20 Mobiles for sale

Why would you have 20 if you hadnt just ram raided Carphone Warehouse
Old 04-09-2004, 12:14 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

It's definately Weevil selling it

It is how he has been so quick to offer withdrawing and made sure to state with no negative feedback that says it's dodgy.

Get the addy he wants the cheque sent, and just pop round mate.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:32 PM
soulweavers
PassionFord Regular

I sell and buy items off ebay, I give option to collect and if local I will pickup items, that way it keeps everyone happy.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:46 PM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

Karl I think your in the wrong here and Weevil is talking complete sense (this is exactly how E-Bay works, it is diffenet to usual trading methods).

YOU BID TO BUY NOT TO VIEW!!! You should view the items before you bid!! Just like a normal auction.

If you want to buy the laptop but are worried about its condition / if it actually exists then you have to go and look before you bid and before the auction ends. Placing a winning bid on an item is a legal contract to buy that item.

Example:
If I sell an item on E-Bay and the seller wants to collect it and pay cash on collection when he turns up at the door he has to hand over the money before he sees the goods because he has already bought them, hes just collecting. If he then has issues with the goods it needs to be dealt with through the systems in place to combat this (through E-Bay).

I suggest in this case you simply take up his offer of cancelling the deal with no negative come backs and you re-read the rules of trading on E-Bay.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:51 PM
John Laverick
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by swerv
I agree with karl here, if you buy something on ebay you have the right to check that the items are as described , if they are then you buy, thats the way i see it anyway.

If you bought a car on ebay and the floor number was dodgy would you buy it just because you won the auction, imo its also unpractical to go and view every auction that you bid on.
Wrong,

You NEED to view the item before you bid if you are concerned!! If it is unpractical to view then you don't bid!!

This combats the following senario:

2 bidders bidding on a car for example Bidder 1 has viewed and is willing to pay Ł2000, Bidder 2 hasn't viewed but ASSUMES the car is worth Ł2500. Obviously Bidder 2 wins, he turns up to collect and decides the car is only worth Ł1800 to him so refuses to buy.

The seller is now out off pocket (Listing Fee and sale charge), he has a car he hasn't sold and Bidder 1 has also lost out on the car
Old 04-09-2004, 02:07 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

From the way I read it, Karl hasn't got a problem paying for it as he won the auction fair and square, the guy just dosn't seem to want to take cash and have the item collected.

Now if that wasn't in the sellers terms then it is the seller who is changing things.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok i had the sme dilema a few months ago, i won a pc monitor, asked the guy if i could collect, he refused i asked why he said i can collect after the cheques cleared in his account, his reason is he dont want me to rebid a price when i meet him hence the reason

i said bollocks, sounds iffy a i collect a few things as its easier for all

i said what happens when i come to collect and it aint as discribed, what happens when ya got me money but it dont work ???

he said its a auction ya bid to buy not to see, if it dont work ya still gotta pay thats why ya bid

i explained that he said its in full orking order and then he said it is buy he aint got a pc so i can test it ( how the fuck was i talking to him via emails i dont know )

he then sent a message to ebay saying im a non paying bidder, they got in contact i explained i wanted a working montor and he says that a tiny 17ins monitor needs a driver disk which he dont have ( and never stated on the auction either)

they cancelled the non paying bidder for me and told the guy to call it a day, all sorted

oh and i also got stung for a 56k modem for 6 quid on ebay, sent the money ( 6 quid ffs), waited nothing sent emails no reply, spoke to ebay, they was no fucking help, told me to attempt to resolve the issue by sending a letter to him incase he has pc issues

i took there advice though, but as he was in surrey i decided to deliver the letter personally with 2 mates of mine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, at 5am ( always wanted to be a posty)

anyway we sorted it and asked for the modem, he aint got it, he offered to give me 6 quid

me eagle eyed mate noticed he did have it, there was a modem in his pc

he then told the guy im not gonna take the ya pc apart and take ya modem, i aint like that matey

im gonna confiscate ya pc as i feel ya could attepmt to rip others off on ebay and ya dont deserve a pc

oh and took 50 quid call out fee to for petrol and our breakfast

now thats how ya do it

tooooo much fooking hassle though tbh, me mates got the pc though as i bought a modem inthe end and he needed one

we was gonna take his 19ins monitor aswell but have ya felt the weight of em so he kept that
Old 04-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Weevil
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by NUTS RuS
From the way I read it, Karl hasn't got a problem paying for it as he won the auction fair and square, the guy just dosn't seem to want to take cash and have the item collected.

Now if that wasn't in the sellers terms then it is the seller who is changing things.
That's not actually what Karl said in his first post. He also wants to check that the laptop is as described in the advert.

If the guy didn't specify that he would accept cash and allow the item to be collected, then he is entitled to refuse a cash payment and insist that the item be posted to the winning bidder.

And honestly, it really is not me selling the laptop! If it was, a pre-legal action letter would be winging its way to Karl as we speak.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:58 PM
RSCossieGaz
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Karl,maybe he dont want you to see the caravan hes shacked up in so won't let you collect.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Bloody hell all those of you who reckon I'm in the wrong!!!

The guy selling the laptop would not have allowed me to view the item beofre I bid you plums!! If he won't let me pick it up and pay him in person, he was hardly likely to let me view before I bid !!!!!!

Fuck sake people I simply want to make sure I get a laptop when I hand over my money, nothing more or less!! If the laptop exists and is exactly as he has described then I will 100% buy it!!!

I fookin wish I had'nt asked this site!!! Just goes to show that some of you are as arsey as the seller and thats why I'm in this situation!!

Fuck it now anyway, I'll buy matt's job done!!!

Quick Reply: Quick Q regards ebay?