General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Audi 1.8T help neede?????

Search this Thread

Old 17-12-2006, 03:59 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 1.8T help neede?????

my friends got one and its got a big cap missing on the air box so not running how it should, turbo feels non existant.

he's been told he cant fit a cone filter on it cause its got an air flow meter somewhere after the air box???? is this true?

i THOUGHT most cars if not all have air flow meters in the same place and they get replaced with cone filters. NO?
Old 17-12-2006, 04:04 PM
radiant red
Advanced PassionFord User

i had the same engine in my ibiza,i fit a cone filter plus many other mods like nos etc.whats missing off the airbox???dump valve?
Old 17-12-2006, 04:11 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by radiant red
i had the same engine in my ibiza,i fit a cone filter plus many other mods like nos etc.whats missing off the airbox???dump valve?

theres like a big peiece missing on the front of the air box but u have to lift it a bit to see it. looks like a cap of some sort has been removed.

as for the dump valve apparently 1.8t audis are supossed to have recirc dump.V. and his makes a very slight hiss or whoosh when releasing the throttle.

is the dump vavle issue anything you've heard off?
Old 17-12-2006, 04:23 PM
radiant red

if its missing yeah lol,they are quite a good reliable bosch valve on a standard car,it should be on the inlet pipe.Just so happens i have my old uprated alluminium dump valve for sale,about 2k old.
Old 17-12-2006, 04:28 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by radiant red
if its missing yeah lol,they are quite a good reliable bosch valve on a standard car,it should be on the inlet pipe.Just so happens i have my old uprated alluminium dump valve for sale,about 2k old.
so they do run recircs on standard???? cause it is hissing which it shouldn't if a recirculating d.v.

and can he put a cone filter on without fucking the air flow meter up?? is it justa matter of taking the air box of and replacing it with cone filter?
Old 17-12-2006, 04:41 PM
jammy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

The problem with the cone filter is that the K&N one uses oil, which can spoil the MAF. There are a few filters that can be used though.

Sounds to me like its DV is gone. The one to buy is the Forge007 (I think), or of course at least a stock replacement, but not if your running anything but stock boost levels. They do run recirc, as it leads to higher overall efficency.

The NJ72 (i think its called) Valve should also be checked, this fails often too.

I dont think there is anything up with his air box, I cant see why this would cause turbo issues.

Head on over to www.seatcupra.net and all his questions will already have been answered, so just use the SEARCH function.
Old 17-12-2006, 04:47 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by jammy86
Hey,

The problem with the cone filter is that the K&N one uses oil, which can spoil the MAF. There are a few filters that can be used though.

Sounds to me like its DV is gone. The one to buy is the Forge007 (I think), or of course at least a stock replacement, but not if your running anything but stock boost levels. They do run recirc, as it leads to higher overall efficency.

The NJ72 (i think its called) Valve should also be checked, this fails often too.

I dont think there is anything up with his air box, I cant see why this would cause turbo issues.

Head on over to www.seatcupra.net and all his questions will already have been answered, so just use the SEARCH function.

wicked mate

the only thing that made me think the airbox could cause the problem is cause when u rev the car and put your hand near that hole on the air box you can feel a lot of air on your hand like theres a fan blowing out air

Trending Topics

Old 17-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

The hole at the front you can see must be were the cold air feed to the box once sat............ As that all i can think is missing.

Also the shite response may be down to a dirty MAF sensor, take it out and clean it with Isopronyl (just dont touch it with anything as they snap really easy!).

Bet its had a cone filter once upon a time!

We've got a metal cone filter & carbon box on our TS, and as i say the ONLY time she runs shite is when the MAF gets dirty!

PS tell your mate to get it chipped ASAP!
REVO
AMD
JABBASPORT.

Also a well handy website is www.audi-sport.net
Old 17-12-2006, 05:39 PM
radiant red

yep seatcupra.net is a fountain of knowlage for these engines.

as mentioned get it mapped
Old 17-12-2006, 05:48 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Franco
The hole at the front you can see must be were the cold air feed to the box once sat............ As that all i can think is missing.

Also the shite response may be down to a dirty MAF sensor, take it out and clean it with Isopronyl (just dont touch it with anything as they snap really easy!).

Bet its had a cone filter once upon a time!

We've got a metal cone filter & carbon box on our TS, and as i say the ONLY time she runs shite is when the MAF gets dirty!

PS tell your mate to get it chipped ASAP!
REVO
AMD
JABBASPORT.

Also a well handy website is www.audi-sport.net
lovely mate i will let him know asap.

for the time being will it be worth getting the cold air feed part back on?? as work will be done after christmas
Old 17-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

Mate i've got our old airbox at my house somewhere in the garage.

Give me a PM tomorrow and i'll pop out to see if i think it is the airfeed (but i'm pretty sure it is).

Won't hurt putting it back on mate, but i think it'll be a right bitch to fit. ours was a right pain to take off!
Old 17-12-2006, 05:54 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got the custom-code on mine
Old 17-12-2006, 05:55 PM
radiant red

Reeeeeeeeeevooooo
Old 17-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by danneth
i got the custom-code on mine
A what??
Old 17-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

AMD did ours
Old 17-12-2006, 06:16 PM
cheeky dog
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Franco
Mate i've got our old airbox at my house somewhere in the garage.

Give me a PM tomorrow and i'll pop out to see if i think it is the airfeed (but i'm pretty sure it is).

Won't hurt putting it back on mate, but i think it'll be a right bitch to fit. ours was a right pain to take off!

will do mate. let me just talk to him and i'll pm you. cheers for the help lads
Old 17-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Rs1

iirc the A4 and A6's dont have the same air box setup as say a s3 or any 1.8t golf/seat. They have a large grommet that fix's into the side of the airbox which i think holds a sensor.....possible MAF, i can remember seeing one but didnt pay much attention, a picture of the said hole in the airbox would be good to clear things up
As for the K&N issue with oil and MAFs its a load of bollox, K&N have proved this and will dispute the issue with any garage that claims you K&N has fucked the MAF. Apparently there getting right into complaints/claims about there products, even contacting main dealers and such about it. There a short vid about it on streetfire, they even honour there 1 million mile warranty aswell, they have only had 1 customer hit a million miles though