General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

2stroke - mini moto help

Search this Thread

Old 25-04-2006, 03:29 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2stroke - mini moto help

Alright ladies n gents, me and a mate aquiered a mini moto, we know nothing about it anyway, with no previous experience with 2 stroke or 2 stroke engines (despite knowing how they work) we cannot get it to start plug was black. .so cleaned it up, wire was hanging off, comes out from beside the HT lead, so pushed it back on to where it looks like it goes (earths onto the crank case?) fuel tap was played about with, deffo getting fuel, however ive got a feeling it's just plain petrol with no 2stroke oil mixed in, any idea how to find out if it's got 2 stroke in it? will need to check if it sparks aswell actually

cheers.
Old 25-04-2006, 03:48 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

easyest way to check if it sparks mate is to pull out the plug and connect the ht lead bk onto it , put the threaded and onto a bare bolt or the frame ( so it earths ) and kick , or pull the cord ( depending on what u got ) u should see it spark across the gap it its got one . (p.s hold it by the ht cap )

as far a checking if its got two stroke , its a tough one unless the used a coloured oil ,

imo best thing to do is empty the tank , go get some fresh petrol and add the 2 stroke urself ,

least that way u know its got some in fella ?

hope this helps

beef
Old 25-04-2006, 03:50 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

cheers beefy, i'll give the plug a go later on.

any idea how much 2 stroke oil is? i was thinking of emptying the tank, would probably be the sensible thing to do.
Old 25-04-2006, 04:04 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dirt cheap mate ,

most garages stock it on there shelves ,

my local morrisions do a 500 ml bottle for something like Ł1.29 mate .

and thats plenty , will last u ages ,

follow directions on back for mixing but i think its like 1:25 or something like that

pm if u get any probs fella , ill be bk online laters

beef
Old 25-04-2006, 04:14 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Nice, didnt realise it was so cheep

cheers mate, Let's hope it's not been run on just petrol

it sais "super dirt" down the forks

Name:  Snap003.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  48.4 KB

cant find them online tho
Old 25-04-2006, 05:14 PM
The Rapid 1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty much like my boys bike tbh, maybe slightly nwer mayber slightly older, but either way cheap Chineese thing

Name:  PICT0001.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  378.7 KB

Anyway the bit you want to know, why wont it start

Two things, my boys was running fine then just got harder to start untill eventually wouldnt at all

Went through everything and turned out was hust the petrol had gone stale , (he didnt use it much lol) where it had just stood.

Just drained it all out and filled with new fuel and was fine (was always relitivly easy to start, BUT be carefull with the pull cord as they have a habit of breaking apparently, done one on mine and now start it "correctly", ie pull the cord slowly untill resistance felt then sharp pull up, but not to big a pull the cord aint that long and will damege mrchanism if pulled too far)

AND now the IMPORTANT reason why it may not be starting, I think that wire of yours comes up with the HT lead, mine got a cover on so cant see exactly where it goes (and to take that off means taking all the starter off as well and dont really want to go there tonight ) BUT if it is this wire from the coilish area, it is the engine KILL SWITCH WIRE ie once the bike running u GROUND this wire to STOP the engine, so if u have it grounded dont think u are gonna have a lot of luck

If u was to post a pic of the wire would be helpfull

Steve
Old 25-04-2006, 09:00 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

The Usual Suspect,

My feet are fine, it's my knee's knockin on the bars pmsl!

Sounds like a safe bet to get some fresh oil/petrol in it, will do this at the weekend!

The Rapid 1, Aye that looks very simmilar! mine smissing the mudguards etc, looks like they been broke off Missing a rear caliper and air filter

The wire:
Name:  Snap001.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  51.4 KB
You can see it on the side of the coil thingy, thats with the pull start removed.

Is the fuel tap in the right position? seems to piss petrol out of an overflow? after a few pulls

I came in earlier whilst trying to get it going again and noticed your post, so undone the wire and it was still the same - no go
I took the pull start off and the wire is spade connected onto the coil/power pack? the other end is like a rounded spade connecter? I took the HT lead off the plug, and noticed it might be a bit dodgy, so pulled the rubber off from around it and tried to fix the coil that plugs onto the plug back on, seemed to just push into holes on the HT lead end? couldnt get it to spark either so I think that may be the prob.

Thanks for your help
Old 26-04-2006, 10:56 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Any more ideas?
Old 27-04-2006, 02:50 AM
CraigJ
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuck all the pissing about and go to your local bike shop and get a new plug. This will more than likely be the problem i get it all the time with my crosser so keep a spare wi me when i go out on it. also put in freash petrol and 2 stroke. as for checking the most commom colour for 2 stroke is red or blue.

Check the commpression take the plug out n put ur thumb over the top and pull the cord it should force ur thumb off.
Old 27-04-2006, 11:38 AM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

cheers i'll give it a go
Old 27-04-2006, 01:33 PM
MONSTER
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

If the petrol's gone sour it will probably have snotted the inside of the carb up, take the float bowl off and give it a clean, usually works for my minimoto
Old 27-04-2006, 01:36 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

The petrol looks like. . well normal unleaded, will need to change it, will give the carb thing a check too