General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

New law allowing DVLA to remove cars from private property?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M Brian
ginge,
Ive got an insurance policy document that says my company is insured for any car also! and it says under the control of which is apparently quite odd AS any car becomes under the control of once you sit in it! lol

ive stated my policy documents on here before...

NOwhere on any document of mine does it say it has to be insured by someone else. there is NO point to it.

you are the insured person - you are driving! nothing to do with the owners insurance policy.

hey i wasnt disagreeing

i know what the law is
Old 10-04-2006, 08:32 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this still going

Can I drive other people's cars under my own insurance?

No. The Driving Other Cars extension has historically allowed policyholders only to drive cars that do not belong to them and are not hired to them under a hire purchase agreement, subject to the owner's permission. The cover provided is Third Party only cover which does not cover damage to the car they are driving, but does cover liability for damage and injury to third parties. This cover operates only whilst the Policyholder is driving in a fully road legal vehicle with insurance and was designed to be used in emergency situations only.

Our experience has shown that many drivers do not fully understand the extent or purpose of this cover and that many are utilising it without fully understanding the true cover this extension provides. To support initiatives to reduce deliberate and inadvertent uninsured driving we have removed the extension from this insurance.

This means that you and any named drivers are only insured to drive vehicles clearly identified on either your Certificate of Motor Insurance or your Insurance Schedule, which should be kept with your Certificate.

If you want to add an additional temporary car or an additional driver to your insurance you can contact your insurance company and can arrange for a car or driver to be added to your insurance subject to normal restrictions. They will then send you an amended schedule showing the additional car or driver details.

If you need to be added to a family or friends vehicle in order to be able to drive it, they can contact their insurer who will be able to arrange this for them subject to normal restrictions.