Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Correct flywheel for Mt 75 with 2l Zetec

Search this Thread

Old 30-09-2017, 03:39 PM
axle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Correct flywheel for Mt 75 with 2l Zetec

Hi All
I am planning to fit Zetec to my kit car I have the MT75 gearbox at the moment with the DOHC 8V but what fly wheel do I need as this need to match the starter motor as well. I am hoping I can use my present clutch kit , can anyone shed some light over this please?

Regards Axle
Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 AM
big_wasa
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 126 Likes on 123 Posts

You need the Zetec 1.8 or 2.0 flywheel.

You can use either the 220mm or the 240mm flywheel. The 2.0 always has the 1" 23 spline clutch. The 220mm could have two differant sizes for the first motion shaft.

You then need either a spacer for the thrust bearing like Westfield or an extended clutch pivot like Gbs.

Starter is from the dohc.

In a 7 with a shorter sump the bottom of the bell housing is going to be around 30mm below the sump. I trimmed mine down.

The 1.8 fly is lighter than the 2.0 but the 2.0 clutch is easier and cheaper to find.

Last edited by big_wasa; 01-10-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:55 AM
axle

Thanks a lot this is very kind of you.

Kind Regards AXLE
Old 02-10-2017, 08:53 PM
The Black Count
PassionFord Regular

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi, Forget using fwd clutches and adaptors they do not work very well, either get a 1.8 flywheel re drilled for a pinto clutch or just buy the one from retro-ford. I went with the longer pin to start with and was not happy with it and I understand extended release bearings have a habit of breaking.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:30 AM
axle

Thumbs up

Hi
Thanks for your reply, how about using a spacer for the thrust bearing like Westfield, if the extended one do have a habit of breaking ?

Regards Axle
Old 03-10-2017, 10:57 AM
big_wasa

As they say there is more than one way to skin a cat. The only wrong way is the one that doesn't work for you.

To say the fwd clutch does not work, well do a search. It works for plenty of people. That's not to say that the rwd isn't better and gives lots of choice for upgrading.

I've never had a problem with the tried and tested fwd clutch. Just play with the clutch pedals pivot points until it feels right.

If you go for 're drilling the fly for a rwd clutch then you will need to play with the thrust bearing as the Westfield bearing and Gbs pivot will be to long and the mt75 bearing will be to short.

The Westfield bearing is a standard mt75 bearing with a 20mm steel spacer glued on. It's not the best engineering practice but neither have i heard of them failing either ?

Any posts on the above ?
Old 03-10-2017, 01:25 PM
axle

Smile

Excellant I have learnet something new.

Cheers

Originally Posted by big_wasa
As they say there is more than one way to skin a cat. The only wrong way is the one that doesn't work for you.

To say the fwd clutch does not work, well do a search. It works for plenty of people. That's not to say that the rwd isn't better and gives lots of choice for upgrading.

I've never had a problem with the tried and tested fwd clutch. Just play with the clutch pedals pivot points until it feels right.

If you go for 're drilling the fly for a rwd clutch then you will need to play with the thrust bearing as the Westfield bearing and Gbs pivot will be to long and the mt75 bearing will be to short.

The Westfield bearing is a standard mt75 bearing with a 20mm steel spacer glued on. It's not the best engineering practice but neither have i heard of them failing either ?

Any posts on the above ?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:01 PM
The Black Count
PassionFord Regular

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by big_wasa

Any posts on the above ?
Hello, you are correct apart from one thing I did not say that using a fwd clutch etc. does not work as of course it does.
I may be wrong but does the 2.0 flywheel and clutch fit inside the mt75 gearbox? I thought it was only the 1.8 silvertop flywheel that fitted so that is probably the answer to the original question.
Depending on which clutch is chosen, going fwd then buy a used one rwd buy a new one from retro-ford
As for the release bearing would you trust something glued on? the westfield ones may not fail but are very expensive, trying to do it yourself risky I would say.

for safety as well as cost my view is a new flywheel, pinto clutch and capri ct133 bearing, I hope this works as I have removed the fwd clutch arrangement and extended pin and am waiting for some arp flywheel bolts before fitting.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:07 PM
big_wasa

To be fair you said " they do not work very well".

The fly in the pic above is a Scholar engines lightened 240mm Mondeo / Rs1800 and fits fine in the mt75.

I am happy to be wrong but I didn't think the ct133 fitted the mt75 ?

I agree the Westfield bearing doesn't inspire confidence but I've not come across any failures.