Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Petrol Smell

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 PM
chrisa3
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Petrol Smell

My 2wd cossie has been smelling of petrol lately. I have checked all the fuel lines on cant find anything. It did have a petrol leak from the pipe between the tank and pump a while back, buts its definately not leaking from there anymore.

Seems at its worst when going round bends. there is a tiny bit of petrol coming out of the breather pipe but given as this is at the rear and you can smell it when moving i cant see it being that. Ive heard people mention injector seals, but wouldnt they show as a leak...
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

I have a slight wiff at the moment as well (The car that is ) in between the reg and the rail there is a tiny piece of hose, this is a crazy design and is very dangerous, it's prone to splitting and if it sprays the fuel in the wrong direction you can imagine the results, so this should be checked as a precautionary measure at least!

Yes O rings should leak if perished, again important as a member on heres car went up in flames due to one going, it was a Westfield with a YB.

Escos/4x4 were revised and have a far better design where the reg is screwed to the rail.

Martin
Old 08-04-2011, 11:11 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by martysmartie
I have a slight wiff at the moment as well (The car that is ) in between the reg and the rail there is a tiny piece of hose, this is a crazy design and is very dangerous, it's prone to splitting and if it sprays the fuel in the wrong direction you can imagine the results, so this should be checked as a precautionary measure at least!

Yes O rings should leak if perished, again important as a member on heres car went up in flames due to one going, it was a Westfield with a YB.

Escos/4x4 were revised and have a far better design where the reg is screwed to the rail.

Martin
Yeh, I have changed that pipe and fitted new clamps and new regulator. My exhaust is blowing a little from the rear section, so im wondering if its related to that. Checked and double checked all the pipes and even the injectors are not showing any signs of leaking. Just gonna keep an eye on it.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 PM
cosy trav
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a split in my pipe , changed it to a 4x4 fuel rail as it was pissing petrol over the dizzy , how the hell it didnt go up in flames is beyond me . Very bad design on fords part .
Old 08-04-2011, 11:41 PM
chrisa3

Originally Posted by cosy trav
I had a split in my pipe , changed it to a 4x4 fuel rail as it was pissing petrol over the dizzy , how the hell it didnt go up in flames is beyond me . Very bad design on fords part .
Are the 4x4 rails a straight swap
Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by martysmartie
I have a slight wiff at the moment as well (The car that is ) in between the reg and the rail there is a tiny piece of hose, this is a crazy design and is very dangerous,

Martin

That little piece of pipe used to have a specific finis code - was really reinforced
Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pipe between the reg and rail on the 2wd can perish, like any pipe, and especially when 20+ years old, these can be replaced cheaply for well under Ł1 with some 8mm OPA, the original size was 7.92mm!!, but 8mm is fine.
I don't think the change to the 4wd type was anything to do with safety, but more likely aesthetics, and I would say the 4wd one is better, I know which one is easier to check the rail pressure on for the average diy'er, it may have been changed due to commonality of parts thing with other cars, if ford were on the ball they could easily have fitted a shrader valve so the pressure could have been check easy, but they didn't.
tabetha
Old 09-04-2011, 07:11 PM
cosy trav
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 4x4 plenum and changed it all over including the 4x4 rail and reg , it isnt a straight swap as the mounting lugs are in a different place but you can make little brackets if needed to mount them i suppose .