Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Cant get my RS Focus into gear!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 PM
DannyO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get my RS Focus into gear!!

I was on a long distance drive today and after a coffee break, I got back in my car and got going then I couldnt get it into gear.. It took several atempts and alot of force.. I dont think its a clucth problem as its not slipping and its only done 26k carefull miles!I got it to a main dealer and they thought maybe presure plate but they couldnt be sure untill they took down the gear box..I`ve got it booked into my local main dealer for next Tuesday morning..Has anyone any ideas?
Old 18-04-2006, 09:54 PM
rhysRS
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I had this and it was the slave cylinder.
Old 18-04-2006, 11:01 PM
DannyO

Excuse my ignorance but what is the slave cylinder? My car is now back driving as normal without doing anything to it..wierd or what, but I`m glad it didnt have to be taken apart!
Old 19-04-2006, 07:30 PM
THEDMAN
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

The FRS has an hydraulic clutch!
Old 21-04-2006, 12:36 AM
DannyO

I know my frs has a hydraulic clucth but maybe you could explain yourself a bit better.....I drive cars,I`m not in the trade so I`m awaiting your adavice...keep it real!!!
Old 21-04-2006, 05:27 PM
THEDMAN
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by DannyO
I know my frs has a hydraulic clucth but maybe you could explain yourself a bit better.....I drive cars,I`m not in the trade so I`m awaiting your adavice...keep it real!!!
Is this real enough?

From the FRS TIS.........................

Name:  clutch1.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  clutch2.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  82.6 KB

The Focus is fitted with a hydraulic clutch mechanism similar to the one installed in the '97 Mondeo. The brake fluid reservoir with separate chamber is used to supply the system.

When the clutch pedal is depressed, pressure builds up in the clutch master cylinder and the integral release bearing in the clutch slave cylinder is actuated.

The advantages of the hydraulic clutch are as follows:

— Automatic readjustment

— Low actuation force required

— Low-wearing

The following aspects have been modified in relation to the '97 Mondeo:

— Bleed and pressure connections on the clutch slave cylinder

— Connections on the clutch master cylinder

— Omission of the pre-pressure valve in favor of a spring which creates the preload

— It is no longer possible to adjust the clutch pedal travel

Reservoir

The brake fluid reservoir supplies brake fluid to the hydraulic clutch system and the brake system.

The hydraulic clutch system and brake system are arranged separately inside the brake fluid reservoir. If leaks occur in the hydraulic clutch system, the brake system continues to operate unrestrictedly.

Clutch master cylinder

The clutch master cylinder generates the system pressure required to actuate the clutch.

If the clutch pedal is depressed, the piston rod moves the clutch master cylinder piston. The hydraulic fluid in the clutch master cylinder is forced through the high-pressure line to the clutch slave cylinder.

Clutch slave cylinder

The central clutch slave cylinder with integral thrust bearing is fixed to the clutch housing by three bolts. The thrust bearing is interference fitted to the clutch slave cylinder.

The hydraulic fluid forced from the piston in the clutch master cylinder moves the piston in the clutch slave cylinder which, in turn, moves the release bearing in an axial direction. The release bearing inner ring presses onto the diaphragm spring tongues. The non-positive connection between the clutch disc and the flywheel is interrupted.

Once the clutch pedal is released, the diaphragm spring pushes the piston in the clutch slave cylinder back to its initial position. The non-positive connection between the clutch disc and the flywheel is re-established.
Old 22-04-2006, 11:17 PM
DannyO

Default Now thats an answer!!

Thanks alot for that, my car is still driving as normal. Did your car start to give signs of this problem or was it all of a sudden? Just thinking that mine could give trouble again..

Trending Topics

Old 23-04-2006, 08:48 AM
filthyrichie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

clutch luid pipe O ring leaks and you lose fluid pressure new pipe will cure it i charge about 45 quid inc vat and parts as a ball park figure
#

do loads of em