Fiesta RS1800/RS Turbo This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta RS Range of cars.

Frst cosworth managed wasted spark problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Fezzrs
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frst cosworth managed wasted spark problem

Having a problem converted my frst to wasted spark on cossie managennt what is happening the plugs am firing all over the place sonetines not firing at all we had it runnibg until it got warm then cut out this loom i had with the kit was wired wrong from msd just wonders if anyone has had problens with this kit because we are gettibg a bit pissed off with it now
Old 01-02-2014, 04:08 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

Mine used to stop firing 1 side of the coil when hot, the driver would get very hot.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Fezzrs

Its running on distribitor and another ecu
Old 01-02-2014, 05:49 PM
boy-racer-1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

5 times out of 10 when I have a look on passionford there's one of these threads now
Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Did you try stu@msd on here? I've heard their aftercare is awesome?
Worrying as I fancy this mod on my cos but if there's issues I'll give it a miss.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Fezzrs

Tried without wasted spark driver now its still doibg the same thing
Old 02-02-2014, 02:03 PM
luke19790_3

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boy-racer-1
5 times out of 10 when I have a look on passionford there's one of these threads now
Kits fine it's the people fitting them who don't know what there doing
Old 03-02-2014, 06:59 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by luke19790_3
Seems that way as theirs so many kits sold an a small handful of issues, remember ecus are old now so make sure that's 100% before you try fitting the board or let MSD check your ecu before they install the board, which is what I did and it's still going strong since 2008
Old 03-02-2014, 07:26 AM
Gadget
Spanner monkey

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by luke19790_3
I fitted it, and more than capable to read and solder a few wires
The first problem we had was it was popping and banging all over the place, after lots of head scratching, trial of other bits etc etc, We returned the ecu to MSD and the ecu was tried on a car and told that it started the car and run it!
It turned out that the wasted spark loom had the two outside wires on the coilpack plug pinned in the wrong place so basically firing the wrong cylinders.
Once that was corrected, When the car was cold, it started and run fine, i could rev it etc, all good, BUT when the car warmed up, the car dies. It would re start but only for a few seconds then die again.
We contacted James at MSD who said he'd have the ecu back again as the car he tried it on had all sorts of running issues ( wasn't told that by the lady on the phone when i called to see if it was ok )

In the mean time, i borrowed my mates ecu, coil, dizzy and leads. I made a jumper loom to convert it back to the old setup.
Plugged my mates ecu in and it runs!

I e mailed James with the findings and he said that maybe the driver board had been damaged as when they received the ecu the first time, it was wired incorrectly ( But i wasn't told this either, and it had started and run a car at MSD?? Now, i'm no nob and can follow wiring diagrams and solder as it's part of my job being a level 3 tech for Jaguar and Landrover but thats always going to be my word against theres! )

I removed the driver and returned the ecu back to original and it still just fires then dies so its obviously something not right in the ecu.

If it cant be repaired we are on the look out for an Ecu
Old 03-02-2014, 08:46 AM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems like a lot that convert their own seem to have issues, not suggesting you and other aren't capable but their seems to be pattern with DIY'ers having issues. You ask all those that had their ECU sorted by MSD and see how many issues have arisen then compare to DIY'ers.

These ECU's are old now and really the best thing for them is to be left alone, i know after i had W/S fitted my baby board failed but that was basically the band failing, nobody to blame just a 20 year old part failing through wear and tear.

And i'm sure the leads are outsourced so when the kit was put together by MSD they wouldn't have know of the issue
Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 AM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

Mine was checked at msd, gave up in the end, fitted new management.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 AM
boy-racer-1

Sorry Beamer but I think people need to realise 90% of these people did send the ecu in to have the soldering done by msd and it still didn't work as did I, the soldering isn't the problem......
Old 03-02-2014, 03:07 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

To be fair it may not have even been your ECU that i saw with incorrect wiring, i remember one coming in that had pins 20 and 21 incorrectly wired, but i see probably 2 or 3 ecus a day, and non of them are labelled "from Gadget on passionford" so i sometimes struggle to work out whos is whos and which one you are talking about.

All i can say is as far as i remember, the ecu driver was refitted as it was untidy and the wiring on the hairbrush end was wrong, ( you may be able to see the solder on the pins internally, where it was connected to the wrong pin if it is the ECU im thinking of)
It did start the car i had in, but the car itself had problems, so i tried to make our sales team aware that the ecu was, as far as i could tell, working, but i would ideally like the ecu a little longer if you wanted a definate test done.
You had been calling every day so we all assumed you were in a big rush for it, so decided that you should be given the option of trying it yourself in the hope it had been fixed.
I can only appoligise if this message didnt get through to you.

All i can do is offer a further test,as it seems it does indeed start and run your car but only for a short time. i will look into the driver if needs be, we do carry most of the parts. and i have already offered this service for free.

As i said to you on the phone, it is very hard to diagnose issues once you have changed so much, doing a conversion from one car to another and end up with running issues. And you seemed happy to try and work it out with our help if needed. Again, i cant do much more as i dont have the car to test, or evaluate myself. But you can be sure we will do all we can to help.

Last edited by James @ M Developments.; 03-02-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Fezzrs

So you James are saying you have mixed my ecu up with soneobe rlses
Old 03-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Fezzrs

There's another ecu on facebook forsake but a complete kit 400 and i dont know if i any to take tge risk whats fff best to do i dobt know maybe can the dcu be repaired james
Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

No ive not mixed them up as in sent one out to the wrong person, but i dont do the postage, all i get is an ecu on my desk, i do what i need to do to it, then give it back so it can be invoiced and posted. Its hard for me to tell whos is whos as i dont really get involved in that side so much, and its also hard to guess who is whos by user names on a forum.

Come the end of a week my mind is usually a boggle and one ecu becomes another, you know what its like i think im getting old

I might see an ecu from Mr smith needing XYZ work, but its then hard for me to relate that into users on the forums.
I have just made some new documentation which we will use internally when testing ECUs to have us a bettter chance of following them up

Send it in, lets have another look over it, my own car is up and running again now so i can test it quite well on that for you and run diagnostics on it.
I wouldnt dive in spending any cash yet.

Last edited by James @ M Developments.; 03-02-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Fezzrs

Default Can u repair ecus

Can urs pair ecu
Old 03-02-2014, 04:13 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

To a point we can, depending on what is needed.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Just fitted a s/h kit to my saff purely because it was working on another car and cheap , the board was fitted by a royal air force electrician and i had my mate who makes giro's and and boards for missile guidance systems for the AWE fit that and a secs monitor over kill maybe but i wanted to make sure it was spot on .Now i have read loads of issues with this kit but I will say it has improved the cars idle and feels nicer on boost but got the rev counter issue which I knew i would do lol but credit where credit James has helped me as much as he could even though its a s/h kit !! If you are thinking about this kit I would seriously think about going to msd to get it all fitted then if theres a issue then its there issue not yours
Old 03-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Fezzrs

Default Faukt

Will u be able to diagnose the fault
Old 03-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Just to add the AWE engineer thought the L8 ecu looked like a 1980's radio inside
Old 03-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Fezzrs

l send the ecu back to u mate ur gonna have to refit tge driver because we wanted to try without it but i want ecu tried tested
Old 03-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Fezzrs

Are you on facebook James
Old 03-02-2014, 05:38 PM
timster

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've also installed this kit recently and had an auto sparky do the wiring and she runs spot on. Like Jay says it idles better and it smoother on boost, grwat conversion imho
Old 03-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Fezzrs

Gadget knows whats hes doing hes just unlucky that this ecu is at faukt all his wiring is bang on just hope now the ecu can get sorted and hope its not serious
Old 03-02-2014, 07:32 PM
gup
Advanced PassionFord User

Can Jano not help dude
Old 03-02-2014, 08:04 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay,
Just to add the AWE engineer thought the L8 ecu looked like a 1980's radio inside

it is

But as I said on another thread you have to make sure your crank signal and phase signal are correct and in phase. or it will not work.

The wasted spark kit is very good but it needs to be fitted by someone who understands and is able to work out problems. if not get someone who can.

This is not a dig but as your fiesta is very modified it may just pay to have it sorted by a pro to save you pulling your hair out. Hope you get it sorted either way.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Versus_Creations
Ask me a question!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gup
Can Jano not help dude
Yes of course.

I offered Gadget a space in my workshop to finish it off with help from me.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Gadget
Spanner monkey

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Versus_Creations
Yes of course.

I offered Gadget a space in my workshop to finish it off with help from me.
Much appreciated

That was my port of call after the ecu had been tried, Dave was coming to visit anyway so i got him to bring some bits as i suspected the ecu because everything else was reading correct.
If i was at my old house, i would've been down weeks earlier but the 200 mile round trip with my trailer was putting me off
The ecu is being sent in today in the hope of a repair.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Fezzrs

The ecu is

Last edited by Fezzrs; 18-02-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 18-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Fezzrs

Confirmed the ecu is shot i thought it was had another chip put in doibg the same thing new chip ecu is had it and i can only think wasted spark has burned the board out
Old 18-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So you have put your ecu on another car with the correct chip to run said car and it dont run?
Or you have put another chip for your exact spec in your ecu?
Old 18-02-2014, 10:02 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Originally Posted by Fezzrs
Confirmed the ecu is shot i thought it was had another chip put in doibg the same thing new chip ecu is had it and i can only think wasted spark has burned the board out
I don't know what sort of testing you are doing but I can assure you, you are wrong.

Your ecu works just fine, with my chip in it,

I started a car, and even drove it around our industrial estate using your ecu mate

I'm not going to continue arguing over the same issue, but whatever you are doing, you are doing wrong.

Again, here are the videos. Click and watch.

Your ecu on your chip with pectel L600 board.

Your ecu on my base chip

So when you send me an ecu in for testing or repair, and I find it runs fine in a car I have in, what do you want me to do to it?

Last edited by James @ M Developments.; 19-02-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 18-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fill it with 1k's worth of software foc?
Old 25-02-2014, 08:00 AM
Fezzrs

Originally Posted by Miller 3
Fill it with 1k's worth of software foc?
You say the ecu was running James on your chip well i have had it confirmed by grove garage that tge ecu is the problem and somethibg has caused it because tge lad i had the ecu off said it was runnibg fine until this wasted spark driver that loom wired at the coil pack wired wrong a brand new item that was suppose to be plug and play no maybe have caused it to burn my ecu out and has cost me tge ecu
Old 25-02-2014, 08:06 AM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

So watch the video mate, i dont need to "say" it was running....it was and everyone can see it was. Lucky for me i had seen your previous posting habits and also knew you had issues, so was clever enough to take videos

What happens to the ecu once its left here is not my problem.

You still havent told me what was wrong with the loom, sent it back, or given me any information about why or how it was wired incorrectly, so im still guessing about that one.

Im guessing between the lines it was the coil trigger wires that were wiried backwards, (which is what i spoke to gadget about swapping) then that wont cause any ECU problems,
but it has to be said that there are some coil packs out there that are wired backwards internally, so our wiring loom doesnt work on those unless the two outer wires are swapped over (which again is what i spoke to gadget about)
Maybe you had one of those coils as you didnt buy the whole kit from us did you? only parts of it?

Last edited by James @ M Developments.; 25-02-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 25-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I had that problem when I went from silver top to black top on my cousins fiesta, I bought a new coil pack and it was firing backwards so I had to swap the coil trigger wires round...