Cars for Sale Register for a Gold Membership to sell your car here!

Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 24v V6 Lusso

Search this Thread

Old 18-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 24v V6 Lusso

I'm looking at selling my Alfa as I need to slim down my car collection a tad.

It's a 1998 "S" Reg Alfa Romeo GTV (916) 3.0 24v Lusso finished in Titanium Grigio (Grey) Metallic with full black leather interior, including standard fit MOMO sports seats.

It's a very early Phase 2 car, which is a pretty rare thing, meaning it has all the Phase 2 upgrades, such as the vastly improved interior, silver dashboard with more stylish vents, the better MOMO seats, but it also has the stronger 5-Speed gearbox, which is also faster through the gears.

I've owned the car for a year and it has covered 112,900 miles. The history file is jam packed and lots of stamps in the service book, and the car has been very well cared-for throughout its life. It drives like a dream and feels lovely and tight on the road. If not cared for they can feel very sloppy even at low mileage, especially at the rear end, but this one is a peach. Previous owner was a wealthy classic car auctioneer who had an impressive collection of vehicles including a genuine C-Type Jag. He used the Alfa as daily transport for work valuing cars up and down the country. He covered around 40,000 miles in two and a half years in it, so mostly motorway miles and spent a lot of money keeping it in fine fettle, as the recipts show.

It's had three cambelt changes during its life, including a recent one. The water pump was also changed at the same time. It's also had a recent oil and filter service.

Only subtle changes from standard spec are a performance exhaust and Carbon Fibre ended Simota cold air intake. This has to be one of the nicest sounding engines ever and this is one of the nicest examples I've heard. The noise on its own turns heads and in a tunnel it's unreal. Oh and a nice new stereo with Aux port etc.

It's had a recent clutch and the gearbox is lovely, really "snicks" into gear.

Comes as standard with big four-pot Brembo brakes, which have been fully rebuilt (an expensive job) and it stops on a sixpence.

A few months back I had the whole electrical system checked over after fitting a new wiper motor and wiper ECU which had blown and had every last wire checked and tested and given a clean bill of health as this is where many of these suffer if neglected.

Body-wise it's in excellent condition. Only tiny little blemishes and some stone chips to the low front end which always happens on these, but as all the panels from the windscreen forward are made from a special composite plastic there's never going to be anything more than chipped paint. If you wanted to go to the length of getting the front end sprayed the car would be virtually show condition.

Seats are virtually unmarked. The leather is of the highest quality and still smells like it did when it was new.

I've just this week fitted a brand new Bosch MAF sensor. The battery is also recent.

It has four barely worn-in Avon tyres and comes with a full 12 month MOT which it flew through. Comes with all original handbooks, the all-important Bordeaux master key, a proper dealer service manual on disc and a set of leads and diagnostic software to use on any laptop. Currently SORN, but still gets exercised on private land. Always kept indoors when not in use. I can tax at buyers expense or I can deliver the car for a very reasonable price.

All in all, a fantastic example of a great car, which if kept in this kind of condition will only ultimately increase in value as more and more shoddy ones get broken for spares. It certainly won't go down.

I will get some more photos of the car when I get a chance and if anyone is interested.

A great car for £2000

Last edited by Mike C; 18-10-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 18-10-2012, 11:51 AM
PhilCook
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any more pics, interior etc?

Looks a nice motor
Old 18-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Mike C
The Special One

I was going to get a full set of pics together after a good thorough clean and valet, but I've just snapped these few of the interior just now. The bit of loose trim you can see is a broken plastic clip, which I'll have replaced before any sale takes place...

And a couple more shots...

and yes it's a fantastic car. 0-60 in 6.5secs, 150mph+, sharp handling, great brakes, pin sharp steering, and feels so repsonsive from standstill.

Last edited by Mike C; 18-10-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 18-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Fury RS
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Looks nice that. Always liked these...
Old 18-10-2012, 08:26 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Smart car.
These are silly cheap now,worth a punt really as even a major failiure is inexpensive as there's millions being broken plus it shares loads of parts with the other Alfa models.
Mate had a 156 which aside from crappy trim bits never really went wrong at all,only needed a fag pack sized plate plus handbrake adjustment for 2 mots.
Old 22-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Engine etc on these is bulletproof.

The clever rear suspension and electrical gremlins are the usual issues on these.

Car feels tight as anything on the road and I had a complete check over and freshen up of the entire electrical system when I had the wiper issue fixed a couple of months back.
Old 24-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Any interest?

Think I forgot to add it was given a full and thorough service less than 1000 miles ago. And not long before that it had new discs and pads as well as the new tyres, Brembo caliper rebuild, cambelt change, new water pump, new radiator etc etc etc. It's been impeccably maintained.
Old 30-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Mike C
The Special One

BUMP!

Going to get some better pics and start advertising it in the usual places next week if nothing occurs in the meantime.

Just as a taster, not mine but the same model with a fruity exhaust (but with cats still in place):

Sounds far better when pulling hard in 2nd and 3rd though, especially in a tunnel!

Last edited by Mike C; 30-10-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 31-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I used to work on these years ago.They went very well.The back suspension bushes uses to go all the time.We used to change the rear arms which werent cheap.I would have one.
Old 31-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Mike C
The Special One

The 3.0 has an impressive rose jointed rear suspension set-up, which can go very "floppy". This one is spot on though, feels as planted as anything.

Other things that can go wrong is the cambelt, which needs changing on time or preferably early as a precaution. It's been changed three times on this car.

Other thing is the cooling system needs looking after. This car had a new water pump, new radiator and all new coolant hoses at the same time as the cambelt as a precaution.

The clutch can get heavy too as it's worked pretty hard, but this one has been changed recently and is as light as anything.

Also it has a proper brake set-up. Four-Pot Brembos up front, which as they got older will need a rebuild. The calipers have been recently rebuilt, all new seals etc. New genuine Brembo discs and pads all round.

Service stamps and recipts add up to thousands! It's a good one this!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:50 PM
nealo
Focus WRC

Just picked myself up a TS, fantastic motors these GTV's handle and go well...
Old 07-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Mike C
The Special One

They handle very nicely. The V6 is in a totally different league though! Having owned three TS's (inc. one Spider).

The V6 is a proper baby supercar.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

People used to slate Alfas but i dont think they are that bad.