General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

gtr 33 skyline questions

Search this Thread

Old 31-08-2015, 10:34 PM
mgtkr1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

the different skirts really set if off, mine had a load of stuff on a makeshift panel in the glovebox, a/f guage, meter plus lap timer thingy and the controller for the defi guages.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:01 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

How you finding yours? I've driven mine a little more now, love the chassis feel and definitely has the uprated Cusco LSD in as it scrabbles round tighter corners more than I realised and it's surprisingly tail happy, which I really like!

It's faster than I realised as well, but still no where near enough quick enough to keep me happy. Uprated turbos will be first on the list of things to do.

I've started going through the crap wiring, as there was a load of loose/dodgy connections behind the dashboard for all kinds of electrical crap, most of which isn't there anymore!
Old 08-09-2015, 04:29 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Love these! If I sell my Cossie one of these will replace it.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:03 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by XRT_si
Spec is pretty decent, it used to be an ex-track car so suspension mods make it handle nicely. It apparently was 400bhp but boost has been turned down to 0.7 boost so it feels sloooooow! Lol

It does sit well though!

P1 Racing Wheels
Uprated brake pads
Aftermarket side skirts
Bride Bucket seat
Sabelt Safety belt harnesses
N1 Nismo Vents
Trust Large Intercooler
Blitz aluminium radiator
Blitz Twin Suction Air filters
HKS Roll cage
Carrozeria speakers + tweeters
N1 Nismo Bonnet Lip
Ikeya Control arms
Front Upper Rose Joints
Polybushed
Cusco Rear Upgraded DIFF LSD
Central locking with key fobs
Chequered Gtr Floor Mats
Trust Greddy Aluminium Gear knob
Momo Drifting Steering wheel with Boss
Apexi Touch Boost Gauge
Apexi Ex Temp Gauge
Mines 320KMH Speedo Tachometer
R34 Style Tachometer aluminium plate
Recaro Racing Passenger Seat
N1 Nismo Boot lip
Claysmith Cams Camshafts
Claysmith Cams Valve springs
Ported and Polished Race Head
New Rocker Cover Seals
OEM Wind deflectors
Cusco Aluminium Strut Brace
TEIN Race Adjustable Coilovers
Uprated Short Shifter
Headlight HID Xenons
NGK BKR8EIX Spark Plugs

very nice, to wake it up it ideally needs extended sump and pick up first of all, forged pistons and some -5 turbos should get you in the 550 hp range reliably, then a twin plate clutch to withstand it, my first r32 was at that spec and it was a quick car, had enough power to terminal 126 mph in the 1/4 mile and 0-100 in under 8 seconds

absolutely awesome cars, my last one was very basic just -7 turbos the small ones at 1.2 bar made 450 hp and it was lively enough and all easy useable power all on stock head and cams just forged pistons for reliability,

Last edited by scoooby slayer; 12-09-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 13-09-2015, 12:56 PM
mgtkr1

im loving it now the gearbox has been replaced and a new clutch fitted. im driving it fairly conservative until i get it set up. its my first time driving a car with an a/f guage but im getting a reading of 12.5 whitch then richens up to 11.8 ish although theres a second or two before it reaches the ideal ratio. i have an air leak between the inlet/plenum area which i will sort first, probably having an effect on the afr reading? mine is also on a map sensor, standalone management so i have the task of finding someone who can map hks vcon. i will be uprating the turbo's at some point unless i find there already rebuilt with steel internals
Old 13-09-2015, 02:22 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by mgtkr1
im loving it now the gearbox has been replaced and a new clutch fitted. im driving it fairly conservative until i get it set up. its my first time driving a car with an a/f guage but im getting a reading of 12.5 whitch then richens up to 11.8 ish although theres a second or two before it reaches the ideal ratio. i have an air leak between the inlet/plenum area which i will sort first, probably having an effect on the afr reading? mine is also on a map sensor, standalone management so i have the task of finding someone who can map hks vcon. i will be uprating the turbo's at some point unless i find there already rebuilt with steel internals

for the mapping my first choice would be ryan Griffiths at 2 bar tuneing if he would do it, if not then garth at mgt will 100% he did my r33 on fcon and that went like stink and cruised well
The following users liked this post:
mgtkr1 (13-09-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 05:08 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

How much was the 'box rebuild and where you have it done? I've noticed mine is noisy on over run and crunches a little doing a quick change into fourth.

I've found a few other smaller issues, such as air leaks but the car is 24 years old. I love driving it, so just going to crack through with it. Really want to change the exhaust (too loud), soften the suspension (too hard) and remove the side skirts now (too chavvy!).
Old 04-10-2015, 05:10 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
for the mapping my first choice would be ryan Griffiths at 2 bar tuneing if he would do it, if not then garth at mgt will 100% he did my r33 on fcon and that went like stink and cruised well
Yes, I know Ryan, he moved to Syvecs but is currently in Dubai for a year or something I hear!

I'm still deciding how much more power I want really!
Old 08-10-2015, 12:02 AM
mgtkr1

how are you enjoying skyline ownership si? just a bit of a heads up, i had a sleepless night recently. the std oil pressure gauge was giving so worrying readings. a bit of research revealed that 9 times out of 10 its the sender unit. in this case i was lucky and a day later all was well again. makes you sweat a bit though until you get a new sender unit fitted. an aftermarket stack gauge will be fitted in the near future
Old 08-10-2015, 08:46 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

how are you enjoying skyline ownership si? just a bit of a heads up, i had a sleepless night recently. the std oil pressure gauge was giving so worrying readings. a bit of research revealed that 9 times out of 10 its the sender unit. in this case i was lucky and a day later all was well again. makes you sweat a bit though until you get a new sender unit fitted. an aftermarket stack gauge will be fitted in the near future
Ha! Funny you say that, when I first took the car on long drive I made of note of oil pressure using the standard gauge. All seemed good, 2 bar on hot idle. I Googled RB26 oil pressure anyway and read that the standard gauge loves to go haywire, so keep an eye on it. Sure enough, I've noticed it shows less than 1 bar at 3000rpm every now and again, before returning to normal.

I'll get it sorted, been added to the list of things to do. Fairly sure I'm going to go for 500bhp and convert it to single turbo now.

Where did you get the new sender?

Last edited by XRT_si; 08-10-2015 at 09:42 AM.
mgtkr1 (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 01:07 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

my mate has a R33 GTST, tommy kiara badges on it and slightly different body kit, coil overs etc.
i got a couple of track passes for japfest combe when i worked for FF mag years ago, he let me drive first..

done 5 or 6 laps and had cooked the std brakes so was doing a cool down lap and went back into the pits, where it started smoking badly and wouldnt restart

we took the head off and stripped the block to find 4 out of 6 pistons had cracked the ring lands...

but what he had failed to tell me before letting me loose behind the wheel was that he had fitted a stage 2 turbo and a welding tip in the actuator line to increase boost.
but done nothing with regards to fueling or a remap etc!

we rebuilt it with wiseco pistons, head skim etc and i made him get it mapped.

no idea what power its making but it was pretty quick for such a large car.

its been sat in his garage for a number of years and barely sees the light of day due to family etc. i have offered to buy it off him but he wont sell it...
mgtkr1 (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 01:13 PM
mgtkr1

Ha! Funny you say that, when I first took the car on long drive I made of note of oil pressure using the standard gauge. All seemed good, 2 bar on hot idle. I Googled RB26 oil pressure anyway and read that the standard gauge loves to go haywire, so keep an eye on it. Sure enough, I've noticed it shows less than 1 bar at 3000rpm every now and again, before returning to normal.

I'll get it sorted, been added to the list of things to do. Fairly sure I'm going to go for 500bhp and convert it to single turbo now.

Where did you get the new sender?
i was very fortunate enough to source one locally of another skyline owner. cost a tenner. it was just to put my mind at rest as its a worrying thing to see lol. there about 100 quid new so probably worth fitting a good quality aftermarket gauge. having big hands doesnt help when swapping the sender but i managed it. a stubby 17mm spanner (open ended) is the only tool required. i got my lad to pull the rubber cover back on the connect when hooking it back up. thats a fiddly job but half hour really if you have everything to hand
Old 27-11-2015, 08:50 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Still loving the Skyline, but got bored of the power, so bought these:
Name:  12304086_10156405988075713_3499127772930361813_o_zpspiswixsi.jpg
Views: 3741
Size:  91.5 KB

Plan is to see 500bhp, without TOO much effort!
Old 28-11-2015, 08:36 PM
tkracing
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have a wee semi for r32's
Drove a 460 brake one, it was good.... But I felt my 360 escos was livelier.....
So agree to wind up the boost,
Will own another one of these soon.....
Old 29-11-2015, 10:38 AM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Think if I ever get healthy a skyline will be on the top of my priorities list.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:26 PM
mgtkr1

are they n1 turbo's si? i have the earlier ones rated to 600ps. i still need to get the mapping done, im going to use garth at mgt. the n1 turbos will do 500hp fairly comfortably. but dont go more than 1.3 bar unless you know it has the thiscker head gasket. mgt fitted yet another gearbox for me, twin plate clutch, belts/water pump and did it on the day i took it!!!! gave me an astra so i could nip into town while they got on with the job, excellent service and know there way around these cars. my gearbox is just a second hand one they had but it was much better than the one i had. are you fitting the turbos yourself si? its a bit of a pig but do able. to make the job easier id invest in some braided lines for oil/water feeds although i managed with a bit of sweraing to reteain the oe hardpipes. the n1 turbos really wake it up, there a good cheaper alternative to -5's.
Old 13-06-2016, 08:35 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

are they n1 turbo's si? i have the earlier ones rated to 600ps. i still need to get the mapping done, im going to use garth at mgt. the n1 turbos will do 500hp fairly comfortably. but dont go more than 1.3 bar unless you know it has the thiscker head gasket. mgt fitted yet another gearbox for me, twin plate clutch, belts/water pump and did it on the day i took it!!!! gave me an astra so i could nip into town while they got on with the job, excellent service and know there way around these cars. my gearbox is just a second hand one they had but it was much better than the one i had. are you fitting the turbos yourself si? its a bit of a pig but do able. to make the job easier id invest in some braided lines for oil/water feeds although i managed with a bit of sweraing to reteain the oe hardpipes. the n1 turbos really wake it up, there a good cheaper alternative to -5's.
Mine are -5s. I've also got a Link ECU sitting here ready go on as well, as wanted to lose the MAF sensors, but just bought a house so haven't done much with the car lately.

I've heard good things about MGT, but was going to take mine to either Abbey Motorsport or Richard Bell.

How much was the pump and belts roughly, out of interest? My mate is fitting the turbos and getting him to do the cambelt at the same time.

I was wondering whether to just bite the bullet and forge it, go for a 6Boost manifold and single turbo, but decided against it now.
Old 13-06-2016, 11:35 PM
mgtkr1

belt, waetr pump ect and labour was around 600 notes if i remember rightly. genuine nissan stuff though. you wont go far wrong with abbey, mgt or rb based on what i hear. -5's will be good for an easy 500-550hp. the difference with a bit more boost combined with them turbos will be drastic. mine is a different animal with n1 turbos and a touch over 1.1 bar already. its rich at the minute and shoots a big fuck off flame on overun if ive been given it some stick. once the mapping is done i should be close to 500 at the fly hopefully. lights up all for wheels if its wet quite easily. just keep the boost to a sensible limit (i think 1.3 bar is deemed the safe number) depending on the map. im guessing you know that or if you use one of the mappers mentioned they will know. unless its had a uprated headgasket.
Old 14-06-2016, 06:59 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's not too bad at all.

A solid 500bhp would be nice, I like the sound of spinning all four and making it feel a bit livelier! It's lovely to drive and still fun but slow as fuck really! Lol

Going to fit the ECU, turbos, upgrade the fuel pump and injectors at the same time and hope the clutch holds out a bit!

What internals are you on by the way? Standard? I have been hearing that the standard pistons tend to crack past 500bhp? Mark at Abbey told me it's best to cap it at 460-480bhp or so on an older RB26. The oil pump is also a worry, as found mine seems to rev to 8500rpm, which tends to shatter pumps over time apparently! When the Link gets fitted I'll have it lowered, but thinking of changing pump to be on the safe side.
Old 14-06-2016, 07:00 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh yeah, something really cool; I tracked down the last owner of my car in Japan who owned it for years! He's been really helpful telling me what was done and when. I was hoping he would say it was forged but no such luck! lol
Old 15-06-2016, 11:01 PM
mgtkr1

as far as i know the engine is standard in mine internally, its definitly got stock cams, chances are the rest will be. the oil pumps let go at higher revs i think si, theres a few good upgrades available though. keep the revs down and the pump should be ok. ive heard of 600hp on std internalls on later models but 500 is a safe ish limit. it depends a lot on how its been mapped i think si, if mapped conservatively i think 500bhp will be ok. 450 plus is a good figure though, should wake the old girl up a bit.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:18 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I didn't exactly mean to, but ended up having mine fully restored and resprayed at the minute. Being done by The GTR Shop up north, doing a good job, too!

Should be near new when it's done. All new rubbers etc... and undersealed properly too.

Name:  IMG_1174_zpsh96103yw.png
Views: 3153
Size:  398.8 KB
Old 07-10-2016, 02:07 PM
DAN400

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

absolutely love these cars and constantly on the gtr forum looking at whats for sale
id have to sell the cosworth to get one ,so this is the only thing holding me back
and scared of regretting it
Old 07-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How random this post should pop up

Just bought a R32 GTR myself

Metallic black, 600+bhp 2.8, -5 turbos, Tein coilovers, 1.5 way rear diff etc etc
Just waiting on it to be registered so I can collect it from Ron at RK

Looking forward to a new project and seeing how it goes on track
DAN400 (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 06:48 PM
DAN400

Originally Posted by Gav Diamond
How random this post should pop up

Just bought a R32 GTR myself

Metallic black, 600+bhp 2.8, -5 turbos, Tein coilovers, 1.5 way rear diff etc etc
Just waiting on it to be registered so I can collect it from Ron at RK

Looking forward to a new project and seeing how it goes on track
pics needed
was it the iom car you got?

Last edited by DAN400; 07-10-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DAN400
pics needed
was it the iom car you got?
Yes mate, I bought Mike Savino's car
Needs some tidying up but mechanically it's perfect, engine is a recent Ł12k RK build and has just been remapped with closed loop etc so know that side is done
Body is tidy but has a few scratches and chips in paint but interior is scruffy but got a great deal on the car so couldn't turn it down

Pics will be posted once I get time to collect it as only got a few but it was filthy and in poor lighting
Work is mega busy at the moment though so will be about a month or so but Ron said its ok to stay at his until I get time and it's all registered etc

Last edited by Gav Diamond; 07-10-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:17 PM
DAN400

Needs some tidying up but mechanically it's perfect, engine is a recent Ł12k RK build and has just been remapped with closed loop etc so know that side is done
Body is tidy but has a few scratches and chips in paint but interior is scruffy but got a great deal on the car so couldn't turn it down

Pics will be posted once I get time to collect it as only got a few but it was filthy and in poor lighting
Work is mega busy at the moment though so will be about a month or so but Ron said its ok to stay at his until I get time and it's all registered etc
unreal looking car , and what a spec too
best of luck with it mate
keeps us posted on how its pleasing you
Gav Diamond (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 09:20 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

I didn't exactly mean to, but ended up having mine fully restored and resprayed at the minute. Being done by The GTR Shop up north, doing a good job, too!

Should be near new when it's done. All new rubbers etc... and undersealed properly too.

That evolved quickly! Keep us updated.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:55 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by DAN400
absolutely love these cars and constantly on the gtr forum looking at whats for sale
id have to sell the cosworth to get one ,so this is the only thing holding me back
and scared of regretting it
I had 5 cosworth over a few years, got in an r32 gtr and never looked back, for making power and getting it to the ground there is no comparison ime, I have run 580 hp on standard diffs and gearbox and ran at pod several times without any failures, 0-100 mph in under 8 seconds on standard drive train is seriously impressive imo
DAN400 (13-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
I had 5 cosworth over a few years, got in an r32 gtr and never looked back, for making power and getting it to the ground there is no comparison ime, I have run 580 hp on standard diffs and gearbox and ran at pod several times without any failures, 0-100 mph in under 8 seconds on standard drive train is seriously impressive imo
What sort of times and terminals were you pulling mate and what's the best way to launch these cars?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:04 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

What sort of times and terminals were you pulling mate and what's the best way to launch these cars?
My times were shit but that's my fault not the cars lol, I could never get the launch right always over 2 seconds 60 ft, but terminal was consistent 123 mph, would have been more had I got it right I practised on my tarmac road and got it spot on but at pod it was totally different
Old 15-10-2016, 09:32 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think I know that car, looked a good spec!
Old 15-10-2016, 09:35 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gjh
That evolved quickly! Keep us updated.
Just need to pick it up, but now been treated to a full resto and respray, under sealed with cavity wax and originals side skirts back on at last. It's looking good!

Name:  6658F294-D6D7-4044-907B-289EB7F3FD27_zpsw8uws9u6.jpg
Views: 3176
Size:  114.1 KB

Name:  F28D4DF2-4C70-4651-9CEF-80FD50002BA2_zpscpoh390u.jpg
Views: 3529
Size:  110.4 KB

Name:  520440C7-9616-44D1-A808-E4C58DD22E37_zpsdve9grhb.jpg
Views: 3509
Size:  89.0 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by XRT_si:
Gav Diamond (16-10-2016), mgtkr1 (22-10-2016)
Old 15-10-2016, 09:43 AM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Looks like they've done a top job! Looks great.
Old 15-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Gav Diamond
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think I know that car, looked a good spec!
My first GTR so wanted a nice spec to work from

Straight line speed it didn't feel as fast as the Sierra but was only a short test drive as was on trade plates and not much fuel

Everything is sorted regards registering, just waiting on DVLA now, once the papers turn up Ron is going to get the plates made up and drop the ride height for me as sat high due to the poor roads in the IOM

Bottom end is all sorted for much more power but the head is stock and don't think the -5 turbos can give much more anyway but will be plenty for me to play with for now

Your car is looking very well, mine is KH2 originally and may swap it back at later date as that was the colour is was after
Old 16-10-2016, 10:05 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As others have said in this thread, they don't feel particularly quick as they're quite refined, but they are nippy and they feel quite alive when you throw them around a bit. I enjoy driving mine as it is but taking it to 500bhp soon.

And yeah, KH2 is the best IMO. I very nearly bought a silver one but glad I didn't now!
Gav Diamond (16-10-2016)
Old 16-10-2016, 12:02 PM
RobbieBambino
Part of the Furniture

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks great! I was so close to getting 1 of these and getting rid of the focus rs, this thread is painfull and bringing back the want. Looks stunning now looks like they have done a great job
Old 17-10-2016, 01:49 PM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

look forward to future updates on all these new projects
Old 22-10-2016, 10:07 PM
mgtkr1

Just need to pick it up, but now been treated to a full resto and respray, under sealed with cavity wax and originals side skirts back on at last. It's looking good!

thats awesome si. have a twin plate in mine and if you drive steady the plates glae so you have to launch them to clean them up. it just so happens i have a logger that measures 0-60 ect. i managed a 4.97 in the wet on shagged tyres. . i thought that was reasonable for an ametuer
Old 24-10-2016, 08:37 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not bad at all! What sort of power is yours at now to do those times? I still haven't done the turbos or ECU yet! The respray took priority.

Quick Reply: gtr 33 skyline questions