Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Help needed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 19-08-2005, 10:27 AM
biggy_j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed!!!!

Hi guys,

I brought a 1988 rs cabriolet about 10 months ago. I walked into it tottaly blind and brought a shitter. Anyway it failed its mot months ago and my mechanic seems to know fook all! I have spent so much money trying to get this back on the road and it seems like it is only small problems that are letting me down. Anyway my aim is now to get it back up and running with a full respray and some tuning of the almost standard engine by next spring. The problem is that i know nothing about mechanics and am sick to death of getting mugged! So my question is is there anyone out there who is willing to help out a fellow rs lover and help me get my baby back on the road by next spring? Obviously i am willing to pay someone who truly knows what they are doing. So there we have it a bit of a strange one but if there is someone out there who has got too much time on their hands and would like to help let me know!

Cheers guys

Jonny
Old 19-08-2005, 02:43 PM
mart.rs
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

well ive had fords all my life mate mainly cvh ones,xr2s,xr3is,orion 16is,and 3 rs turbos so in the last ten years you could pretty much say ive got ford stamped on the brain!,what seems to be the main problem then?
Old 19-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Al Bags
Advanced PassionFord User

... and I'm your mate at Ford Motor Co, if you need one!
I run a Mk4 van, so I know quite a bit about them ... Bloody welded every inch, I think lol.
Trouble with corrosion .. or mechanics, or electrics?
Old 20-08-2005, 05:03 PM
biggy_j

thanks for the replys guys, sorry i didnt get back sooner.

Here goes,

1) the rear brakes have failed as one side is not reading high enough on the rollers (mechanic told me he fixed it charged me £200 then it failed again?)

2) The back lights do disco effects, they all come on all over the place? (mechanic told me that it was because the rear bulb holders were corroded, replaced them and still does it)

3) The wheels were rubbing the arches (had a set of 17" on it when i got it so i just went down the scrappy and picked up a stardard set of 14" cabriolet alloys with new tires for £40.) Obviously i would prefer to have the 17s on her so maybe rolling the arches or something?

4) The seals are on the borderline (the mot tester didnt fail it on this though

Apart from the seals the car seems to be pretty solid. I have got history that says that the engine has only done 65k and it runs pretty sweet but apart from a dump valve, a k&n and a bleed valve it is tottaly standard.

The bodywork is also a mess, i think it has had a blowover at somepoint and it is all peeling off around the edges (maybe it wasnt rubbed down proper?)

So there we have it, im sure its not all that bad and there are alot worse out there but with my lack of knowledge and my mechanic taking me for a mug, she is still sat on the drive waiting to get that magical mot!

I have spent so much cash on her already that i just want to get her up and running and then i can get her sprayed and start getting her to shows and things

Anyways if anyone out there can lend me a hand it would be sweet but also if you think that i am underestimating the problems and it should just go to ford heaven let me know!

Cheers again!

Jonny
Old 20-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Al Bags

1. Prob needs Rear Cylinder(s) and shoes .. and a bleed.
2. Will just be the Rear Earth point or the contact strips in the connector (when the rear light do weird things, it's because the earth is failing, so it finds a a way through somewhere else. That is usually one or two other bulbs, so the come on dimly)
3. Maybe wrong offset, or too wide tyres - 205 is the max without further mods.
4. Sills? Best to cut off the whole lot, incl the flanges and do properly. Not an easy, quick job, but if you are keeping it .. well worth doing! I always cut out ALL the old stuff .. never plate over

Structural and mechanical first, mate .. worry about the actual looks later
Old 21-08-2005, 07:10 AM
biggy_j

thanks mate, the rear shoes have been changed but not the cyclinders. I think that they do prob need a bleed.

Where abouts is the rear earth?

Thanks for the help!
Old 21-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Al Bags

Hi ...

On the Cabrio, I am not sure .. but it will ne near the lamps somewhere, I think. Probably two or three brown wires. Rear no plate lamp is maybe earthed at the same place.

Rear Cylinder is suspect, tho .. If you can, see if it is leaking inside/under the sealing grommet by the end of the shoe.
Old 21-08-2005, 11:06 AM
biggy_j

ok just looked at the cylinders and i cannot see any leaks from there at all?
Old 21-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Al Bags

If you got the rear drums off ... GENTLY press the pedal to check for movement on the bad side. You looked INSIDE the grommet (by lifting the rubber with a screwdriver) did you?

Check bleed that side. Make sure the resevoir is full, and give it a few rapid presses, then bleed normally.

Do you have limiting valve assy under the bonnet in the brake lines?

Back later .. sorry gotta be out.
Old 21-08-2005, 01:20 PM
biggy_j

now u have lost me lmao!!!