Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Hot Running 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 05:59 PM
JAMIE9999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Running 4x4

Hi all. As a newbie to PassionFord I would like a little bit of advice, regarding a possible heating problem with my 4x4 Saph Cosworth. Last year the head gasket decided that enough was enough at exactly 100k, so i took the opportunity to have a 'freshen up' of the engine. While not wanting to seriously mod the car I decided to add a few bits and pieces, such as a new turbo, Mongoose 3" exhaust and a newly reconditioned head, as mine was quite worn. At the same time I had the cams repro'd by Pipercams to what I believe is BP270H(BD10) Spec, as well as having the Cometic Group A headgasket set. Naturally the car ran like a pig when I got it back so it was rechipped as well by Julian Godfrey. Everything was ok for a little while until I noticed that the car ran extremely hot if stuck in traffic for even five or so mins and also goes through coolant at a rate of knots with no visible leakage? Also the oil consumption is a fair bit higher, which I sort of expected.

Now my dilemma is this, I was advised at the last service to revert back to a Std Headgasket as they felt that the Cometic GRP A item was the root cause of the excess heat/higher oil consumption. So before I decide to rip the head off again I was wondering if anyone else had any similar experiences as I know that lots of people run with the GRP A gaskets on everyday cars and don't seem to have the same problem.
Is there anything else that someone may think of which may have any effect and if so is there a less painless cure than putting on a new headgasket? Any advice is more than gratefully received.