Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

zetec turbo Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 07:18 PM
FingerZ!
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zetec turbo Q's...

Wondering if anyone can help

been thinkin bout turboing me g/f's 1800 xr2i.....

I know that 2litre or 2.1 is the way to go if its going to be done, but we are thinkin that the 1800 we already have and is low milage for the conversion hence using the 1800!

now i know the basics that need doing to the block - low comp pistons, block front breather, make another breather at the back, oil return in sump, oil feed to turbo apparently taken off the oil pressure sender with a T-piece <not sure how good that would be>, etc etc

however, management is my problem - i have read somewhere that its possible to use OFAB fiesta turbo ECU and the engine part of the loom because the OFAB is compatible with 3 bar map sensors for decent boost apparently.....

However, most people who have done the conversion i have read about use either cosworth management or DTA or something. I know that tony_pastie fella was in performance ford for doing a zetec turbo in his series 1 and he used cossie management, but saying that, he has to grind lumps off flywheel cos there were too many for the management, and also grind the lobe off the inlet camshaft, then drill a hole through it and 'peg' it so that he had 2 lumps or pegs instead of 1 to work with the cosworth system....

sorry to write an essay - these are a few of the things i have picked up so far - probably soooooo much more to it than this - any help much appreciated! I am a mechanic and would like to get into this sort of thing eventually.

cheers!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:08 AM
FingerZ!
PassionFord Regular

another thing i was wondering - i have read that its an idea to have the head modified to take cossie plugs....

anyone???
Old 11-05-2004, 10:19 AM
AustenW
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Modify your head to use cossy plugs.

As for management you are best off getting an aftermarket system as the costs will only be marginally more in the long term.

If you go MBE I can send you a map that will work to start off with.

If you are using a 1800 alloy inlet this uses side fed injectors which are a bit hard to come by in larger flows. I belive Moto Guzzi ones are good for 300 bhp ish however it would be worth while looking ar a few of the USA websites to find the right ones.

Go for around 400cc / minute which should be good for about 300bhp.

Alternatively speak to Ian Howell at Fiesta Frenzzy as he will advise you what needs to be done. www.zetecturbo.com

A Focus RS turbo manifold will also do the trick and will avoid the need to drill the head to mount an RST manifold.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:34 PM
FingerZ!
PassionFord Regular

thanks very much for your information

much appreciated

its all talk at the moment until we decide how much we are gonna spend on the car

i am a mechanic and if i continue in teh trade i really want to get into conversions and learn enough to build engines and map ECU's etc.....but thats a long way off

thanks