Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

1.8 CVH exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 20-09-2011, 10:33 AM
canis
Tinkerer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8 CVH exhaust manifold

Hi there. Having spent days tidying up, cleaning and painting the engine on my beloved (if humble) Sierra, i find i'm stumped by a stupidly simple thing.

The problem i'm having is re-fitting the exhaust manifold. There's a pipe connecting the exhaust manifold to the inlet manifold, via some sort of valve system. The Haynes manual says this is to reduce combustion temperature - well, it would, wouldn't it? Since putting exhaust gases back in again surely means burning less fuel (and producing less power).

Anyway, I'm struggling to re-attach it to the manifold, because it's an enormous nut in a very tight space at the far end of the engine bay, and am wondering if any PassionForders can tell me how it's done? I just can't get a tool in there!

Or might i just be better to remove this pipe altogether, and stop the exhaust being recirculated in this way? Never had nuffink like this on my old cortinas, stupid new-fangled engines, mutter, grumble...

Help please! There must be some way of doing this.
Old 20-09-2011, 11:42 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

What year is it? You may have the R2A engine, this was the revised CVH, from, say 1990 onwards. So far as I am aware the original CVH does not have this.

As you say it sounds like a form of EGR, as used on all modern cars, as you say it reduces power, but improves emissions, hence why some choose to bypass it.

Can't help with the actual fitting unfortunately.

Martin
Old 21-09-2011, 03:57 PM
canis
Tinkerer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've now read-up about EGR, and fitted the pipe and it's related components correctly. Oddly, my engine seems to be something of a 'Heinz 57', in that some parts are definately R2A and others are R6A.

Now I have a new problem, which i'll put in another thread. Thanks for your help.