Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

help required, dangerous steering problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18-11-2010, 08:20 PM
mad4fords

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help required, dangerous steering problem!!!

2000 ford focus 2.0 zetec steering problem! one of many problems since getting the car! Basically when i am driving steering goes stiff, got to yank at steering wheel to go around a slight bend. It clicks when turning, or goes really stiff when I am driving in a straight line. It has been getting progressively worse, had both wishbones changed, not made any difference, possibly slightly worse in colder weather.. but it is quite worrying.. have visions of trying to turn it at a slight bend it not working and driving into a wall or something. Any ideas would be helpful.... and even better if not going to be too expensive!

Thanks
Old 18-11-2010, 08:37 PM
hogdog
Regular Contributor

Sounds like the power steering pump to me.
Old 18-11-2010, 08:39 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a 2l w reg aswell with a single click when manouvering in car parks which has been diagnosed as the valve in the rack being worn due to never having had a fluid change. new fluid now though and its improved.

have you definately got fluid in? with it suddenly going stiff i'd assume its the pump failing but with the clicks aswell i recon its your rack.

straight forward job to replace but requires dropping the subframe. can be done at home to save money and also i'd suggest getting a salvaged rack off a lower millage car.

most dont fail, just the odd few seem to in my experiance so a salvaged one with say 60 or 90 day warrenty should be fine as any faults will show up in that time.
Old 18-11-2010, 09:18 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

steering rack from the sounds of it