Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Ford Ka 1.3 revving probs

Search this Thread

Old 18-11-2010, 03:19 PM
yesnikki
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Ka 1.3 revving probs

I have a 1998 Ford Ka that has over revving problems.

I have recently replaced the Idle control valve which was suggested by lots of sites and this did not fix the problem.

I see now that I need to replace the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) but it has been suggested that I could just disconnect it and this will sort out the problem. Is this correct? Will this cause other problems??

It has also be suggested that I disconnect the battery for half an hour to reset the engine management system???

I am a brit living in Spain and and it is a well known fact that we get ripped off when we dont speak the language very well so if I do have to have the TPS replaced could you give me an approximate idea on how much I would be charged for the labour in the UK. I would prefer to get the parts myself so would be grateful if you could advise on the exact parts I need. Is it just the TPS or do I need a wires too?? Or, better still instructions on how to do this myself..

Another problem, is that there is a clicking noise that you can hear and feel when turning the steering wheel. It is irregular and never happens at the same place twice. It can happen when turning left or right and sometimes on slight movements and sometimes on using full lock. Any ideas??

Thanks
Nikki
Old 19-11-2010, 10:07 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

No it won't be the ISCV as something is telling it to do that, you are right it could be caused by a bad TPS calibration, does it do it all the time?

You can't unplug it permanently otherwise it won't run right as the ECU needs this info hence it being there in the first place.

It probably just needs adjusting but worst case scenario it will need a replacement which won't be expensive just requires fitting and plugging in.

Re the steering problem it could well be the 'Clock Springs' that are causing the problem.

Martin