Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Saph Cossie wiring/dash problem

Search this Thread

Old 14-06-2010, 09:00 PM
kev8728
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saph Cossie wiring/dash problem

Hi guys,hoping that somebody may be able to help me here,got a problem with my saph cosworth,and i need to fix it urgently as im away with it on sat

Its been off the road for 2 years,got it motd last week,and after a few miles the temp gauge gave up.Before i got on to that problem the ignition lights stopped working,along with my rev counter,charging light and brake warning light

The dash lights up with sidelights,and the other lights on the dash are ok,ie indicators,main beam etc,its just this others that wont work. Have had the alternator checked and its fine.

Have found a similar post on google but there was no answer posted

ANY help will be much appreciated,hopefully somebody will be able to point me in the right direction here.

Cheers
Old 14-06-2010, 09:03 PM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

have you tried looking at the fuse contacts, i got a saph weeks back and loads of things stopped working or didnt work, and it was the fuses having bad contacts to the terminals...

hope that helps. maybe, maybe not
Old 14-06-2010, 09:11 PM
kev8728

Do you mean to clean or check where the fuse goes into the box?? Have had the fuses out many times but maybe they aint clean enough??
Old 14-06-2010, 09:17 PM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

yes on mine the fuses were almost loose in the crimp terminals, had to renew the lot of em...

also could it be a dodgy ignition switch?
Old 15-06-2010, 10:49 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check fuse 22, as said make sure all the fuses are clean contact wise, go overt them with some emery, DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE GLASSPAPER to clean them.
tabetha
Old 16-06-2010, 09:39 PM
kev8728

Thanks for the advice guys - fuse 22 was the culprit!

Had checked it and it was ok,but it only made a connection half way out,when it was fully in it wasnt,so thats where i went wrong!

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

HOWEVER,whilst replacing my heater matrix i noticed a burnt wire,so traced it back and replaced it through the loom,but it had melted into a few other wires.Its a yellow wire that goes to the abs ecu,and since getting it all back together i have found that the abs aint working right,typical!

Thinking about replacing the loom as i think its hanging on for dear life,and the wiring obviously aint right now for the abs - my question is what like a job is it changing the complete loom on these?? I think im gonna have to bite the bullet and just do it.

Again,any help appreciated!
Old 16-06-2010, 11:09 PM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kev8728
what like a job is it changing the complete loom on these?
Try to avoid having to do this if at all possible if you value your hair.

The ABS is a completely seperate loom, bar 2 wires (the yellow, which goes to the ABS pump motor relay, and a red (IIRC), which goes to the ABS ECU) which join behind the dash. What isn't working/doing what it should ?

Trending Topics

Old 17-06-2010, 10:22 AM
kev8728

The abs aint working at all just now,it was the yellow wire that had melted.Pump aint running and the light aint on! If the abs loom is seperate then i will willingly just replace that,meantime!
Old 17-06-2010, 12:03 PM
jon@work
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Start off by having a look at the wiring that goes onto the brake components under the bonnet for damage - it's easy to melt wiring if the car has been running without a turbo heat shield. Also, unplug the connectors and pull their rubber boots back to look for corrosion or terminals that have been unseated.

The yellow wire feeds 12V from the ignition switch to the pump motor relay terminal 86 (purple relay behind the glove box). A brown/black wire runs from relay terminal 85 to the pressure switch under the bonnet (5 pin connector). When the pressure switch reads low system pressure, it connects the brown/black wire to earth (the brown wire in the 5 pin connector), energising the pump motor relay. If you have a multimeter, you should have continuity between the ignition switch yellow wire and the brown/black in the pressure switch connector. If you unplug the pressure switch connector, then the yellow wire should not connect to earth.

Also, to test the ABS warning light, there should be continuity between the ignition switch black/yellow wire and ABS ECU terminal 27 (remove the ECU connector, the screw in the end of the connector, and slide off the cover to reveal the terminal numbers). If there is continuity, also check that you've got 12V at terminal 30 of the ABS ECU relay (green 5 pin next to the purple pump motor relay).

Let us know how you get on.