Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

1.8 Endura Drain back, fitting valve.

Search this Thread

Old 21-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Stree
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8 Endura Drain back, fitting valve.

As per title, I intend to fit a non return valve in the fuel line because I suspect I am getting drainback overnight but I am unsure where to install it. Only indication I have seen of this suggests it should be on the line that feeds the filter head, so that would be the short line from the fuel pre-heater I assume?
The engine is a 1.8 D Endura Non turbo 1999.
Every other post on this has replies diversifying into related topics such as glow plugs, batteries, valve clearances, starter cables, solenoids and so on, but I am quite happy that all of these are either A: New, or B: functioning perfectly well.
Now I realise that drainback is a sign of air getting into the system or the filter head primer diaphragm failing, but the filet head holds a vacuum so I assume the diaphragm is good, any suspect fuel lines and connectors have been replaced, all unions are tight and dry, as are the injectors. But it still takes six or so turns to fire.......and I know it could be better.......So just as an experiment I want to try the non return valve and any help would be appreciated
Old 22-05-2010, 07:55 PM
cabriolet
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my experience of endura diesel engines is that they all do this have u turned the pump up i think u are in the right place for the one way valve
Old 23-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Stree
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks cabriolet.
Fitted the valve on the line in to the filter, at the same time I bypassed the black box heating element,Seems these only heat fuel whilst the engine is running. so not a lot of point to it really, and they have a reputation for letting air in.
Still took half a dozen turns this morning though! not really made a difference, apart from the idle which does seem a lot smoother. Not taken it for a run yet.
One thing I have noticed...........The primer ( original) never gets hard......... Never......... 50 pumps and its still possible to depress it halfway......so somethings out of order. But starts and runs well...
replacement filter head again next, tried an oem one and binned it...seen one on the bay that looks like a ford original , new stock going cheap.
Would be interested in what you can tell me about the pump though. its not the bosch one and appears to have no electrics to it.