Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Cool Runnings

Search this Thread

Old 21-02-2010, 05:19 PM
sponghead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cool Runnings

Unfortunately this is not about the Jamaican bobsled team but about my 2wd Saph Cossie.

It has been running cool now for some time and as a daily drive its not warming up enough (in the car that is) and gauge reading low, so I replaced the stat yesterday and found the rotten remains of the stat circlip holding the old one open. I set off this morning looking forward to the cosy drive in but, whilst it's a bit warmer it is still not warming up like my missus's Micra does only just getting mid "M" on the "NORM" and that’s in traffic.

It can't be a gauge issue as the air being blown out is lukewarm indicating that it is probably reading right.

The new stat is a QH one rated at 87°C the one I took out is 88°C.

Could I possibly have the stat the wrong way round? The manual only has a schematic for the 4x4 Cossie and it looks different to mine.

Mine is fitted with the top of the stat facing the Head i.e. the spring is in the elbow facing away from the engine. It is sat on a rubber seal being held in with a circlip.

Any help greatly appreciated.

PS Car is bog standard.
Old 22-02-2010, 06:39 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The spring part of the stat should be facing the engine, I had mental issues with QH and FORD stats, one QH at 2 days old broke, and then central pin became dislodged jamming the stat open, that was really cold and in winter too.
The bets stat by a million miles I found was the WAHLER, in 88C form, I think but not sure Matt Lewis does these now, well worth paying the extra for.
As regards jap car heaters most tend to be much better than sierra heaters!!
tabetha
Old 22-02-2010, 11:41 PM
sponghead

Thanks mate.

Tried it the other way round today and nice and toasty. It just looks wrong fitting it that way round. Although took it for a spin an oil is pissing out the breather into the air box now. Any ideas?

I hope its not loose rings it doesn't get much abuse, I drive it like a girl really well most of the time. I've had it 11 years, the car's completed 120k.

Last edited by sponghead; 22-02-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 23-02-2010, 06:23 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I would check all the breathers are free, as it's pressure pushing the oil.
Mine has done 180,000+ miles on bottom end, done top end, and gets ragged all the time, stop being a pussy!!
tabetha
Old 24-02-2010, 12:16 PM
sponghead

lmao.

Where are the breathers? I know there is one under the plenum are there others to check? And I'm a pussy cause it has to get me to london and back twice a week thats 200 miles round trip @ 25mpg it costs a bloody fortune. I'm not a Sunday cossie owner, Ive towed a caravan with it and everything, even beat a diesel astra estate off the line at the traffic light drag races with a 1 ton caravan on the back. The bloke was rocking back and forth in an attempt to make his car go faster I pissed myself.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Craig

Last edited by sponghead; 24-02-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 24-02-2010, 02:25 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

ha ha, no you're not a pussy doing the above, respekt dude!!!
I also have a tow bar for towing a caravan, but it only weighs 690kg.
The only breather on a std set up is the kidney box one you mention, this was a bit inadequate for std, let alone modded, was more to do with emissions than power, breather kits are defo a good idea.
tabetha
Old 24-02-2010, 04:25 PM
sponghead

Thanks for that. I'll give the kidney box a clean out tomorrow. The breather kits do look the nuts but my car is boggo even down to the tape player and amp so I would like to keep it standard, as long as I can still get parts!!!. I'll post results of clean out might be of some use to someone else.

Thanks for all your help
Craig

Last edited by sponghead; 24-02-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 25-02-2010, 09:16 PM
sponghead

ok Update on breather: Pipe going into the plenum chamber has a small metallic restrictor pushed into it just before it enters the plenum, Is this normal?

It was this restrictor that was blocked the pipe has an internal diameter of about 10mm but the restrictor restricts it to 1mm seems strange but may be it's supposed to be there.

Upshot is car is now warm and not pissing oil over my drive through the airbox. No bottom end rebuild yet for me woohoo!

Took it for a non girlie spin tonight and all is well. Thanks for your help and banter Tabetha.

Craig
Old 26-02-2010, 10:05 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

No bother matey, the "restrictor" that you mention is actually a one way valve it allows the inlet to suck crank pressure, but when on boost the valve shuts to stop the turbo pressure going down the pipe and blowing your sump off!!
The valve should still have a good useable size, make sure it's not caked up with old crud/oil on inlet side.
tabetha
Old 26-02-2010, 08:56 PM
sponghead

Oh Dear. I blew it out with an air line and now air flows both ways unrestricted but nothing metalic came out just loads of black crud should I look at replacing it now.

Although are you talking about the actual connector going into the plenum with the brown electrical connector on as a solinoid type electric switch.

What I am talking about is a little metal bullet type thing with a 1 mm hole through the middle of it that is actually pushed 1.5 inches into the rubber pipe, like a gas restrictor then the end of this pipe goes over the male of the switch I mention into the plenum. It's the one that comes off the bottom of the flapper valve attached between the injectors of the plenum.

Sorry to be a bore.

Craig

Last edited by sponghead; 26-02-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 27-02-2010, 10:47 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I think we are on about different things, there is nothing electrical about the pcv system, can you pm me a piccie, or post up.
tabetha
Old 27-02-2010, 01:19 PM
sponghead

My fault I was doing it from memory rather than looking at it ignore the last post. I'll send some pics. but the pipe I am on about fits directly below the brown connector mentioned above, and has no electrical workings.
Old 27-02-2010, 01:37 PM
sponghead

I will PM pics now given up trying to post them.

Last edited by sponghead; 27-02-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 27-02-2010, 01:47 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The pipe you mention comes from the kidney box block breather, the valve is a one way valve, if breathing through the block into the inlet anywhere after turbo it is needed, but better bet is to fit a decent breather system.
tabetha
Old 27-02-2010, 01:56 PM
sponghead

In fact try this link https://passionford.com/forum/album.php?albumid=2195 The pipe is off the valve Ive propped it up by the battery so I can show the restrictor I mean. Cheers mate

PS Ive included a pic of a standard engine bay just in case you forgot what they look like. lol

Last edited by sponghead; 27-02-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 27-02-2010, 04:00 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

That bit is 100% not meant to be there, but as the actual valve that screws into the inlet is still in place, the part with the HEX body below the air temps sensor it will be ok, there's no point that restrictor being there, all it does is cause extra crankcase pressure as it is not allowed it's freedom, get rid of it.
tabetha
Old 27-02-2010, 07:59 PM
sponghead

Cool I'll get rid then I thought it was strange! Why would anyone put that there? I had it setup by a very well known garage in spring last year.

Don't want to cast aspersions but I rang them up to ask about oil coming out of the breather and they said deffo bottom end rebuild never mentioned cleaning the breathers out. I've had the car 11 years and its never caused a problem before.

This company is very well known for rebuilding high power pinto based engines for all marques of ford.

Of course it may have been in there for the last 11 years so won't mention any names.

Thanks again for all your help. hopefully I'll have a few months of trouble free motoring.

If we ever meet at a show I'll buy you a pint.

Cheers
Craig
Old 28-02-2010, 12:53 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

No bother matey, it is always worth doing the free stuff first before ripping apart anyway.
They are very easy rebuild engines anyway for when it is needed.
tabetha