Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Steering Wheel Juddering, Fiesta 1996

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 PM
LondonLadyL
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Steering Wheel Juddering, Fiesta 1996

My steering wheel is juddering when I drive at any speed.

I have known for some time that my CV joints or is it bushes are wearing
because it clunks at full lock.

I went for a 500mile round trip and just as I was getting home it started. It is also pulling to the left.

I have recently had a new rim on the front, but was all fine for the the journey. I have also topped up my steering wheel fluid to see if that helped, but no joy.

CV joints maybe? Or other suggestions please!! And is it costly to fix?

Thx
Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Steve_RS
Part of the Furniture

The juddering :

If it judders constantly then it could be wheel balancing on the new rim. Tracking could have gone out. Ball joint on the wishbone may be worn and loose. Wheel may have worked itself loose. Wheel bearing may have worn away. A number of things on these fiestas...

Things to check: Jack up each front wheel in the air. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try to rock it. It should feel tight and solid. If it feels like theres a tiny bit of play then more than likely wheel bearing is worn/loose, or ball joint is no good. Also look behind the wheel at the shafts in the centre. There will be some rubber gaitors with metal clips either side. Check to see if these have split. If they have, then the grease has probably leaked out and your CV joint has worn out.

If it judders as you steer. Well as you've got power steering, then you should have a pump that pumps the power steering fluid as you steer. Usually driven by a rubber belt. (I'm not sure on a zetec 1.25) If that belt starts to slip, it can cause juddering as you steer. I had this problem on an astra with power steering. All it required was the rubber belt tightening up. But I splashed out 4 quid on a new belt shortly afterwards as well. Cured it a soon as I adjusted the belt, but I bought a new belt for peace of mind.

If this confuses you at all, then take it to a garage or mechanic-friend and ask them to check it over.

Nothing is overly expensive on these fiestas so long as you know what you're doing or know someone who will do the jobs for you.

Prices vary from shop to shop - rough guide:

CV Joint 10-25quid
Wishbone & Balljoint 15-30quid
Power Steering belt 3-10quid

Hope this is of some help.
Steve.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:27 PM
LondonLadyL
Virgin

Thank you very much steve for such a comprehensive reply ... So your 1st answer was pretty much it!

Went back to the tyre place, and when the guy looked, it was totally warped and bursting at the seams!

Was lucky I had done a long drive other wise it could have taken months to get like that and then they wouldn't of done it for free!

Both front tyres are bigger on the front, but they say that's fine!

Thanks agian, car all sorted which is a relief in Jan!