Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Focus TDDI non starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 PM
geordiesteve
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus TDDI non starter

Hi, I am a new poster to the forum.

I'm having trouble starting my Focus 1.8 TDDI, since changing the glowplugs last week.

In order to gain access to the plugs, I had to unscrew the metal injector pipes at the unions and move them slightly to the side. I fitted the plugs without too many problems, screwed everything back together only to find that the car cranks over fine, but will not start.

I have checked fuses and relays etc, bled the injector pipes at the unions and a small amount of fuel seemed to be oozing from them so I tightened them all back up, but the car still won't fire into life. If I spray easystart into the intake, the car starts and dies after a couple of seconds and won't 'catch' if I boot the gas pedal. There are no warning lights on the dash while I'm cranking, the glow plug light comes on and goes off as before and plugs have been tested with a continuity meter and checks out fine and no unburnt fuel traces are eminating from the tailpipe, so I think this must be some kind of fuelling issue. I've drained the battery numerous times trying to get the car to start.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM
saph_Al
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Think im right in sayin the system needs bleeding bud and unless u got a hand pump under the bonnet i think its a trip to the ford garage . May be wrong though but im sure someone will confirm or tell me im talkin shite , Oh and welcome to the site
Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

these and the Mondeo can be a pain in the arse to restart once air's been drawn into system (even when just doing fuel filter changes) but as long as your sure that fuels up to the injectors IT COULD be a case of getting a m8 to tow you up the street could take you 1 mile or so but it WILL fire up
Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 PM
geordiesteve
Virgin

Thanks Saph AL and Alvyn. I had another go at it today and noticed bubbly fuel escaping from three of the injectors and the other one seemed damp, but not as wet as the others. Been cranking away off an on for a good hour whilst my car was attached to my mates car (with his engine running) via jumpleads, but still couldn't get it to run on its own steam, or should I say bubbly fuel! Been blasting Bradex Easy Start into the air intake and it runs ok then, but as soon as I stop spraying, it dies. I did try a tow start, but ended up getting stuck at the end of the street, due to all the snow we've been having up here! I've bit the bullet and joined the RAC homestart tonight, but have to wait 24 hours from when my membership is activated (on the 5th Jan) before I can call them to my house! Why can't ford make it easy(er) for us and fit those rubber priming bulbs, eh!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

how did you get on??
Old 09-01-2010, 06:38 PM
geordiesteve
Virgin

Afraid it looks like a fuel pump issue. I've been told that the fuel filter is bone dry and nothing appears to be getting pumped through the system. A trip to ford will confirm for definite, however ford have quoted 2k to replace the fuel pump and cambelt - which is about £1800 more than I can afford, so it looks like my £900 focus isn't the bargain I thought it was
Old 09-01-2010, 06:59 PM
gup
Advanced PassionFord User

have you checked to c i that fuel pump cut off switch has not been activated (if these have one)

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 AM
geordiesteve
Virgin

According to the Haynes manual, only the petrol models have the inertia switch. Checked mine and there was just an empty hole where it would usually be (Next to the drivers door).
Old 10-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Colin_P
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello Gents.

I've recently got one of these and as part of the service I did to it I changed the fuel filter.

I installed the filter dry as I've done on my previous VAG TDI's and had a nightmare getting it running.

In the end, what I had to do was vacuum bleed the system from the leak off pipe from Nr1 injector.

Easy for me as I've got a Pela 6000 oil extractor pump.

I think you can buy them from screwfix for about £30

Oh, I also filled the filter with fuel before vac bleeding which I should have done in the first place.

And...

As far as I know, the injector pipes are single use and need to be replaced if removed. That could be the route cause of your problem if they are not sealing.

I hope you haven't damaged the pump by the way. I'd not even attempt to start it until you have tried to properly bleed it.