Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

emissions

Search this Thread

Old 22-08-2008, 07:02 PM
RS craig 71
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emissions

has any one else after their cars have been set up got a different co reading to the one stated on your report, reason i ask last year got set up by msd and clearly stated base co at idle 2% took for mot next day co 3.5%. this year changed to siemens 55lb and took to karl, again co set to 3.87%, mot next day 4.29% fail. NOT having a go at the tuners what so ever karl was very polite, very helpfull and very easy to talk to, just wanted to know if anyone else has had this isue.
Old 23-08-2008, 07:00 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had mine set up with a VERY quick map, as tps went tits up.
CO was 2.25%, and falling and it runs perfect, and was NOT on closed loop either as not enabled yet.
There is no need for these high emissions, and if due to mapping it has been a shit job, are you sure the car was FULLY warm, let the fan cut in once just to make sure, or you may have a dicky cts.
tabetha
Old 23-08-2008, 07:29 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im glad that isnt closed loop, as idle co on closed loop is around 0.90%

why the hell did karl set it up over the mot limit?

Last edited by JTECH James; 23-08-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 23-08-2008, 03:12 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine sits at 0.90% on closed loop craig.
Old 24-08-2008, 08:41 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

The last emerald I saw on closed loop was 0.54%, again with perfect running, mine has only had a quick map as tps played up, and kept losing signal, going for full job on 12/9, so off to buy some more biccies the day before!!
This is on GREY injectors, my one.
tabetha

Last edited by tabetha; 24-08-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 24-08-2008, 08:52 AM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

mines on 83lb siemens, which are double the flow of greys,

the issue of runnin below 0.90% that i found is idle becomes effected very easily by any movement of the iscv,as it has such a rastic effect on afr by adding even a tiny ammount of air that low,
Old 24-08-2008, 06:57 PM
RS craig 71
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah cheers for that in karls dafence he said it wouldn,t idle properley below 3.87% he reckoned engine was getting a bit tired and not getting complete combustion on idle,on greens though was no problem. a complete ignition check was carried out and found to be fine, no missfiring on boost drives and pulls loveley and idles well.. at that idle setting anyway. time to save for rebuild now.yeah tab was waiting for fans to cut in first.
Old 25-08-2008, 07:22 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

My car has idle stabilisation using ignition retard/advance, and does not need the iscv.
It also has vastly better fuel and boost control than the std ecu's.
My dad has a ghia mondy 2.0 auto, and my cossie is smoother by a long way, and the tickover is 1000% stable hot or cold, and it is not fully mapped yet.
Thinking of modding the plenum cover for 8 injectors as the ecu runs this with no mods, but not really any point although it will be slightly better high up, as well as LC TC CL, the coilpack was a good move running 0.9mm gaps now, and it doesn't use any unreliable ignition amps either.
It is actually richer than it needs to be at the minute, although if needed(doubtful) I may fit a better iscv from another car as it will work any system just by a mouse click, already had to change tps, to a universal one(£25) less than 1 minute on the compy was aligned and perfect I did it and I really am crap on the compy, will work with any tps.
My engine has done 160,000 miles WITHOUT any bottom end work, just a top end rebuild, it's crap about won't idle with less CO, though it might just show what a shit system the std ecu is, my car used to idle at 2.5% CO with same mileage on a GGR chip, that was for stage 1, I had modded head aand T34 and it still had same CO, and was still perfect idle.
tabetha

Last edited by tabetha; 25-08-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 25-08-2008, 02:48 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

any cossie will idle just fine at 2.5%, but even you should know cat equiped cars cannot run co that high,

i never said it wont idle below 0.90%.... as it does, ...but its not as stable as it is at 0.90% or slightly above.(pre cat)

if you idle at 2.5% and open the iscv to allow say 5%more air, it hardly effects the idle co, now try that at 0.80%, the 5%air makes a huge difference to afr, as it was already weak.

any car, any ecu will become MORE unstable, or MORE effected by iscv movements at lower co levels, its a simple fact of science,
and there isnt a need to run weaker so why bother?, they piss a cat test with cat fitted.but i guess your ecu is capable of more than any car manfacurer ever? as they all run a similar pre cat co level, ive tested hundreds in my time as a technician.

but back to the THREAD why do we need to know about your ecu? he isnt asking about it? every question results in"fit aftermarket ecu" its not related in anyway to the question, which is about co on a good old reliable std ecu

Last edited by JTECH James; 25-08-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 25-08-2008, 05:55 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

The whole point is the shite std ecu is half the problem, yes I love my ecu, and consider it the best mod ever done, can't understand why thousands of other agree on aftermarket though can you ?
As for manufacturers, actually stop and think about what you are saying!!
Why is there only 1 version of the std ecu on cossies as they are so good is it, how many version before cat, as that would clearly need to be different.
So come on tell us less intelligent people excatly which one did ford get right, or failing that why so many attempts to get it right, it was changed as it was a pile of shite, that so many tuners screw stupidly large amounts of money out or people for mods/chips etc, and still end up paying more than vastly superior featured aftermarket ecu.
Some charge £500 for mapping this is a piss take, I get three maps for £275, so could be used on three different cars, with just one better ecu, std ecu's unless you want limited features as this is all it can give you are fine but anything more forget it.
Some ecu's have far more control than others and can run weaker mixes, but maybe we should on your theory just run 5% co as that must be better.
tabetha
Old 25-08-2008, 06:19 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

so is there only one model of aftermarket ecu? and they will never change it? lol

my theory doesnt involve running co at 5%..... simply not below 0.90% if you can read.....as i said, modern cat cars cant run high co, but 99% ive tested are not below 0.90- 0.80

again putting words into my mouth

Last edited by JTECH James; 25-08-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 25-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
The whole point is the shite std ecu is half the problem, yes I love my ecu, and consider it the best mod ever done, can't understand why thousands of other agree on aftermarket though can you ?
As for manufacturers, actually stop and think about what you are saying!!
Why is there only 1 version of the std ecu on cossies as they are so good is it, how many version before cat, as that would clearly need to be different.
So come on tell us less intelligent people excatly which one did ford get right, or failing that why so many attempts to get it right, it was changed as it was a pile of shite, that so many tuners screw stupidly large amounts of money out or people for mods/chips etc, and still end up paying more than vastly superior featured aftermarket ecu.
Some charge £500 for mapping this is a piss take, I get three maps for £275, so could be used on three different cars, with just one better ecu, std ecu's unless you want limited features as this is all it can give you are fine but anything more forget it.
Some ecu's have far more control than others and can run weaker mixes, but maybe we should on your theory just run 5% co as that must be better.
tabetha
Oh lord, your at it again.
Why did they upgrade the over teh years? Isnt that like asking why did they not just stick with the Model T? What a truly fooking ridiculous statement.

If its relevant somehow, 2 ECU's prior to teh catalyst model.
L1 in 1985.
L6 in 1988.
Madness eh?

Also, the "pile of shite" std L8 ECU will run a 2 litre engine at 0.3% CO on 1200cc Siemens with 3.5bar fuel pressure and the fuel transients are excellent, as is the transient ignition. I happen to know from experience that your Emerald will not do this, so your argument is worse than piss poor mate, and you have ignored my other comments to you on other topics too i note. I will dig them out for you.