Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Why Cant I Re-use Cam Chain Tensioner On 2.0 Dohc?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:28 PM
NEILNATO
SCOOBY DOOBY DON'T!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why Cant I Re-use Cam Chain Tensioner On 2.0 Dohc?

Hi there I have a 1989 SIERRA SAPPHIRE 2000E, The head gasket is blowing on cyl 3, Whats the reason for not re-using the cam chain tensioner plunger, I cant see why not. Any feedback on this would be most greatfull. CheeRS for reading this post.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Aaroncast
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wear And Tear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:44 AM
NEILNATO
SCOOBY DOOBY DON'T!!!

Yes I know that lol but if it is not that old due to recent cam chain replacement why cant i re-use the old one, seams silly to buy yet another one if the old one is not even a yr old. I.E can i re-latch the plunger or clamp the tentioner down so it dont fly out. or if it does fly out can it be re-assembled. All the ford mechanics i know cant answer that question just wondered if anyone on here can shed some light. CheeRS
Old 12-03-2008, 09:28 PM
JonathanJ
PassionFord Regular

Will have a look tomorrow for special tool list and see what was made for ford on this engine , see what we have in out tool store
Old 13-03-2008, 03:24 AM
cozmeister
More boost Igor!

I think you'll find that they're a 'use once' item. There's no telling what state it's actually in - a visual check won't tell you if it's fractured or stressed internally. If it lets go, it will make a mess!

Best to be safe than sorry with these things...
Old 13-03-2008, 07:14 AM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They are spring loaded on like a rachet so when the tentioner comes out you cant reset them, thet are not expensive from ford. about 15 quid last time i bought one

Dave
Old 13-03-2008, 10:06 AM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dave green
They are spring loaded on like a rachet so when the tentioner comes out you cant reset them, thet are not expensive from ford. about 15 quid last time i bought one

Dave
You can actually reset them. It is not that hard although it is a little tricky, but if it has been used for any duration, I would recommend a new one.

The only circumstance I would generally reset one is if it activated whilst installing.
Old 18-03-2008, 02:52 PM
NEILNATO
SCOOBY DOOBY DON'T!!!

Thanks peeps for the input on this issue, I am aware of the issues with the plunger just the one i am using was changed not so long ago when i re-new'd the chain, just think its a waste to bin the plunger as it is not that old, just wanted to know if you can re-set the piston. IANSOUTHAM if you know how or point me in the direction of resetting the plunger please point me in the right direrection if you can, the car is in bits and cant get hold of a new plunger as on back order .
Old 28-03-2020, 02:19 PM
Giannis Panteris
Virgin

Originally Posted by NEILNATO
Thanks peeps for the input on this issue, I am aware of the issues with the plunger just the one i am using was changed not so long ago when i re-new'd the chain, just think its a waste to bin the plunger as it is not that old, just wanted to know if you can re-set the piston. IANSOUTHAM if you know how or point me in the direction of resetting the plunger please point me in the right direrection if you can, the car is in bits and cant get hold of a new plunger as on back order .
i now its old but this is how you reset sierra dohc tensioner.