Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

engine!!!! please read

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 08:59 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine!!!! please read

IT MUST BE GONE??? BASICALLY I HAVE HAD THE CAR IN THE GARAGE FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS NOW. i have changed the box clutch and fitted an oil breather system and changed the crankshaft oil seal. Having started the car after 5 months perfectly i was very pleased, then took it out i was happier. So i took it for m.o.t yesterday and it passed, then i done 250 slow miles to run in the new parts. The car felt spot on and no missfire or no pinking, so i thought it was time to put my boot down and test it on boost. Having done this i was overly impressed by the performance and the smoothness. There was no clutch slip or anything at all, the car felt fine. SO ANYWAY I DECIDED TO GO FOR AN EVENING THRASH AND CAME UP AGAINST A TYPE R, HAMMERED HIM BUT IT WAS CLOSE AND MY CAR FELT LIKE IT WAS HOLDING BACK, as soon as i was slowing down the engine oil light came on and i stoped the car after bout a minute, it was very tappy. I checked the oil and filled it which it didnt need however the light was still on and it was still tapping. I checked under the car and there was no signs of oil leak anywhere and i cant see any oil on the floor. WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER, ANY IDEAS???????? DO U THINK SHE WAS DETONATING AND I GOT A HOLE IN MY PISTON???? i fear that my engine has given up has any1 got any advice. after doing all this work i didnt have it set-up, very foolish but i was going to do it next week and i only used it coz it seemed fine.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Seems like oil-pump failure or main bearing failure. If didn't switch it off after oil light came on you probably fooked it even further :-(
Old 11-04-2006, 09:46 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

I agree probably the oil pump. Possibly bottom end gone.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:56 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine

i fear its the bottom end and coz i run it a minute to long the top may have suffered. It had a new oil pump about 2,000 miles ago
Old 11-04-2006, 10:01 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine

any more ideas on why this may have happened??? could it have been because of lack of set-up or just a mechanical fault??? i am only asking for opinions because my brother and dad are blaming me for not getting it set-up. the car has done 160,000 miles but compression test done before i carried out the work came out perfect, but down on one a little but to be expected for the age of the engine.
thanks
Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Depends what has failed mate. If the oil pump has failed, things like a set up can't influence that. And if its done 2,000 miles i would be asking questions. It was a NEW pump and not RE-BUILT?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:10 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine

brand new pump mate, i am sure the pump didnt fail. i only changed the pump becoz i wanted to do the oil seal so i thought it would be worth while. then when i done the box and clutch i done the other seal. Ther just aint any oil pressure
Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

If theres no pressure at all it cant be a lot else
Old 11-04-2006, 10:12 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine

when i said "any more ideas on why this may have happened??? " i meant the engine oil light coming on and the tapping, i didnt mean the pump. sorry but i should have been more clear
cheers lads your replys are appreciated
Old 11-04-2006, 10:14 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine

you reckon???? maybe that was that new pump failed then. does the oil light that comes up on the dash mean: oil pressure warning or low oil???
Old 11-04-2006, 10:18 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Its an oil pressure light. You can't measure oil level when the engine is running for obvious reasons. Ive seen them lights come on a few times, only when there has been no oil showing on the dipstick..........they're pretty crap so if yours is on id say theres no pressure and its likely to be the pump.

The oil can ran so low that it makes the top end tap before that poxy light will come on
Old 11-04-2006, 10:20 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine???

i will do some investigating and get back to you, is there a way of knowing that the pump is working correctly???
Old 11-04-2006, 10:22 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Oil pressure gauge? I dont know of any other way myself, someone else might.

Oh and by the way, if you dont already have one which im guessing you don't, buy an oil pressure gauge, for what they cost its probably the most important gauge you can ever have in your car
Old 11-04-2006, 10:23 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine

so you dont think it could be the car was running lean and the engine let go??? causing a hole in the piston and loss of oil pressure??? the car starts but it tapps alot
Old 11-04-2006, 10:25 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

If you had a hole in the piston it would be missing like a slag and smoking something chronic.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:26 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine

you know what i was going to get my oil temp, oil pressure and water temp gauges in a couple of weeks. Oh how i wish i was loaded then things would never have to be "next month" or "two weeks"
Old 11-04-2006, 10:28 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine???

lol, there is puffy white smoke however just coming out the exhaust whilst on idle. i dont think its the chronic as when i inhaled it didnt do the bizz
Old 11-04-2006, 10:29 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Do a compression test then aswell, that will tell you a LOT about what state the engine is in. Is it misfiring?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:32 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine???

nah its not. but i havent moved it far since the light came on but even when it happened i have had no missfire. when i put it in the garage i started it, i turned over a few times then started the car drove slowly forward and reversed into my garage fine just tapping away.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:34 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Don't make a habbit of running it, each time you do you are upping the bill

Compression test i think is your first port of call, never goes a miss
Old 11-04-2006, 10:39 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine

i aint gna run it again and thanks for all your help mate, i will do a compression test and see what the outcome is
Old 11-04-2006, 10:41 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

No problem let us all know how you get on.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:17 PM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine????

well a quick update on my situation, i didnt do a compression test i just decided to take the head off and see what condition everything is in. To my surprise everything looks spot on and the pistons are as clean as fuck. I supose it must be the big end bearing or i have spun a shell, i will have to take the bottom end out and have a look at that 2mrw. What should i look for on the head and in the piston bores to see the condition??? bcoz as far as i am concerned everything is fine. I am going to do a full rebuild whilst i am here and plan a few special mods.
Old 14-04-2006, 10:48 PM
rssapphowner
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i had brand new high pressure oil pump fail on me so your not alone mate
Old 14-04-2006, 11:29 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

To be honest mate things arent always obvious to see, you could of cracked the head or block. You did really want to compression test it before you took it off?

Is there any contamination in the oil/coolant?
Old 15-04-2006, 10:35 AM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine

i understand what you are saying matey but i just rushed in and openened her up, maybe i should have DONE THE COMPRESSION TEST. To be totally honest i know there is no cracked block, the coolant is perfect and the oil is still clean because it was changed. There is not a single oil leak as every seal has been changed on the engine. I am also sure its not the oil pump and this is purely coz i dont want to believe it having changed it just recently for a genuwine ford one. I have heard from various people that the genuwine ford pump is far better then any high pressure pumps, alot of tuners will say standard ford one all day long. To be honest i am going to take the sump off today and this will confirm everything as i believe the shells are gone.
Old 15-04-2006, 10:38 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

For the ford ones there is no tolerance figure for internal wear and ive heard a lot of people say they rarely go. I can't see it being a lot else mate but you will soon know
Old 15-04-2006, 03:22 PM
gambit
PassionFord Regular

Default engine????

An update on my situation chaps, i have taken the sump off and all the shells to discover that yes they are gone. The crank looks fine, no swarf or uneveness just looks spot on. I have decided that i will change all the shells and then make do with that till i have saved the money for my new engine. Oh yeah i will change the cam as it would most likely be fucked after being starved of oil. What do you lot reckon????? its either that or the car be off road for 8 months till i got the money for the engine i want.
Old 15-04-2006, 05:33 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Get the crank re-ground/polished and it should last mate.

Take the cam out and have a look, you might be lucky