Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

my Moonstone 3 Door ...

Search this Thread

Old 13-11-2007, 10:36 AM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice indeed looks like a real good example, that dry hot weather is great for old Fords
Old 13-11-2007, 11:11 AM
182_blue
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

looking good
Old 14-11-2007, 09:07 AM
rudeboy
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well at the battery here is what I was faced with ...

I have decided to replace all the end terminal fittings, reprotect the wiring with red heatshrink and wrap the harness in black rubber tape this way the wiring will get more protection and hopefully the black wiring (with black hoses) wont stand out so much in the engine bay for a neater finish .

Sorry for a lot of photos for the one job but it took me ages to do and I thought it was worth sharing seeing that I've read cosworths seem to have wiring/electrical issues ... remember I want to build a realiable car here

so first I laid out my wiring (I would love to have cut this out of the main harness and lined it all up vertically with the batterys postive terminal ... but that seemed a little drastic ) ...

heres a work in progress photo ... I had to cut off each terminal because the exposed wiring was showing signs of corrosion (a little restance goes a long way ) ... so I exposed some new wire, cleaned it and crimped on a new ring terminal for my new battery connection

I deided to 'black out' the wiring, but I left the terminal connectors red heatshrink exposed so if someone else (other than me ) disconnects anything they know what is positive

heres a distant shot ... even thought there is still heaps of harness wiring hopefully it looks neater ...

Old 14-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

i did mine last week and replace the fuse link wires with much better grade wire and also joined a couple together, made it look a lot tider.

Old 14-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking good

Brian
Old 15-11-2007, 01:45 AM
rudeboy
Regular Contributor

182 blue and Brian cheers lads

lamp chops yeah the dry weather is good for the cars ... except I cant wash it at home (due water restrictions) ...

Ryan v good idea ... looking back now I wish I had joined the wires to make less terminals at the battery but I'll make it a little neater by having some of the connections on top and some under the battery terminal (as opposed to having them all 'spread' from the one bolt like in the photo) Some of the wire insultion was very soft ... it was like a rubber ... a bit crap IMHO

I had bought 'gold' battery terminals but I decided at the last minute they might look a bit 'trashy' ... so I bought these you beat 'platnium series' ones ... I hadn't seen them before but I think they look good ('stockish' but shiney )
Old 15-11-2007, 09:45 PM
rich_frst
PassionFord Post Troll

rudeboy

top job you've done there fella, like it alot
Old 16-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Marsey_RS

looking sweet rudeboy keep up the good work gonna do mine in coming months
Old 16-11-2007, 10:21 AM
SteveW
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cracking work there, i really miss my old moonstone 3 door
Old 16-11-2007, 08:02 PM
182_blue

Nice
Old 22-11-2007, 04:22 PM
rudeboy
Regular Contributor

rich frst, Marsey RS, SteveW, 182 blue thanks boys

Anyway time for some carnage shots

A while ago I had an issue with starting my car ... I'd turn the key and there'd by nothing After a search on PF I cleaned the electrical contacts on the starter solenoid (one of which is the main positive lead from the battery ...) and starts have been good every since One of the recommendations i read was to also clean the main earth connection, the lead that goes down from the battery to the transmission housing ... I didn't need to but I noticed the wiring was in pretty bad nic and had chaffed through to expose wiring this is one of the jobs I wanted to do now Whilst I was cleaning up wiring I decided to remove and inspect the main positive lead that had been the cause of my first problem and ...

.... and oh my god

The protective condiut was brittle and broken away and there was exposed (positive) wiring where the insulation had melted and chaffed away ... this s@#t causes short circuits and engine fires or could have fried my engine computer

Like I said, the main earth wasn't to much better ...

and I wasn't happy with the 'piggyback' battery terminals ...

So for the postive lead I'm making a new one with this little lot ...

New condiut (extra wire protection), better quality cable for super strong starts

And new uprated earth leads for the battery ... slight modification needed to the premade cable but it will come up well

Old 24-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Moonstone Mart

Looking good mate. Keep up the good work!

I will be sorting the wiring on my saph when i finally get around to building it back up. Hope its as neat as yours.

Mart.
Old 26-11-2007, 01:48 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

some great work there
Old 26-11-2007, 01:57 PM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

good work mate

nice to see people doing things properly and replacing old wiring before it actually fails
Old 26-11-2007, 04:07 PM
MattPym
Bothuurd

Mate, I think that turbo mite be a bit overkill....No amount of low comp will allow this

Nice work keep it up
Old 30-11-2007, 05:21 AM
ossie cossie

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Just found this post good work keep it up. i saw the car at the all ford day in perth i was there with my mallard escos. WILL HAVE TO CATCH UP SOMEDAY, are you a member of the RS owners club in WA? there is a meeting on the 5th of dec. may see you there , my missis said that your wife will kill you putting those dirty battery leads all over here nice pillows.
Old 30-11-2007, 08:50 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Top work mate car looks proper mint
Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 AM
rudeboy
Regular Contributor

Moonstone Mart thanks mate good luck with your wiring ... its a time consuming job but well worth doing right i'll enjoy watching your progress

R4N SS cheers bud, I've got a lot more work to go

Kitchy yeah I only had the car a short time (and hardly drove it) and electrical issues almost had me stuck (lucky I was at work ) ... but no more I'm doing this once and I'm doing it properly (unless I replace the whole harness later ).

MattPym yeah turbos a little overkill ... but imagine the sound when the blow off valve goes

ossie cossie thanks for enjoying my thread ... sorry bud it wasn't me (or my car) at Perth ... I'm on the other side of Aus . But your right ... if your mates missus saw what I did to those pillows she'd probably kill me anyway

carlo cheers man ... its getting better but there is still some room for improvement

A proper update coming soon ... I've been a bit busy lately but I got out there today and got a fair bit done ... oh and I've changed the wiring AGAIN ...
Old 08-12-2007, 07:29 AM
rudeboy
Regular Contributor

Whilst I was doing wiring this lead from the bonnet to the firewall always annoyed me the worst thing about it was the rusty staple being used to tighten the outer plastic (may not see in the photo) ...

so with some spare wire, some ring terminal ends from my kit and some black heat shrink I made a newy ...

... and installed it nice and neatly

Old 08-12-2007, 08:08 AM
rudeboy
Regular Contributor

Well with my main earth lead (new parts illustrated earlier ) I cut the end of the prefabricated lead and stripped it for the battery terminal to clamp onto ... hint after I had stripped it I used a little solder to hold the exposed wires together (and in shape) so that the clamping of the terminal doesn't 'spray' the wires everywhere .

Then this little lot is threaded through the plastic flexible condiut ... not stock but I felt it was neccessary after the damage I found on the old one this then got bolted onto the tranmission case.

Then I made up (just like above) a smaller black lead to go down to the battery tray from the terminal ... I didn't take a photo of it not installed but here it all is in position ...

This photo is responsible for me realising that my harness wiring could be neater ... and those who know me will not be surprised that I have gone back and done it again ... this time I joined the fuse wires together where possible (cheers Ryan ), extended them and reprotected them. I have chosen to keep them red this time to look a little more 'factory' Oh and it took me AGES

here is some work in progress shots of the fuse wires being joined and extended (cable tyes hold everything in place whist I'm working ) and when I joined two wires together I went up in wire size to be safe to make it neat I simply looped the top bunch of wires under the main harness and lead them up to the battery

Then with one end of my you-beaut red battery cable crimped (and then threaded through the protective condiut) ...

... I connected it to the starter solenoid, passed it through the clamp on the engine (so it doesn't touch anything and chafe or melt again ) and threaded it through to the battery ...

I then cut it to length, removed a bit of the condiut (to keep it all red ) stripped the end and clamped on the terminal plus the fuse wires ...

Heres another shot to show how much neater it now is and my polished ignition amp bracket is installed ...

Finally a distant shot (sorry about the crap photo it was getting dark) to show the end result Much better IMHO

I was never really happy with my first attempt but now I can say ...

... that's the wiring finished for now .
Old 08-12-2007, 09:12 AM
coswurv
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

remember to take the red plastic bit off the pos terminal or it wont go !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Old 08-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Moonstone Mart

Looks great rudeboy

Alot tidier.

Mart.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Some nice attentcion to detail there mate
Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

happy to been of some help
Old 13-12-2007, 12:42 PM
R5COS

very tidy work there mate
Old 14-12-2007, 09:27 AM
rudeboy
Regular Contributor

coswurv no good with the black one on either

Moonstone Mart I agree ... it looks heaps better

NORTH YORKS RS SPARES cheers Paul ... even better with a when I order those bits from you

Staffi, Ryan, R5COS thanks for the comments boys

Found time to get these bits together ...

... and bang them into position.

Now thats the PAS system sorted ... a new drive belt and all new hoses with super duper (shiny stainless steel) hose clamps ... at last time to add some fluid.
Old 14-12-2007, 10:02 AM
rudeboy
Regular Contributor

i thought whilst I had the inner wing apart I might as well replace the washer fluid hose that was looking old/cooked/sh*t

Heres the washer pump and hose to show you what I mean ...

So the plan was to replace the old tubing by useing some new clear PVC hose (4mm by the way ... surprisingly hard to find ) and some left over black heatshrink from my electrical jobs to produce a factory finish ...

Its come up well I think ... now to do under the scuttle panel at the washer jets.

Now that the washer bottle was in and the electrical wiring to the pump and sensor was tidyed up it was time to install the header tank but first I neaded to replace the sensor seal (it had been cooked and hardened over the years) and when i took out the sensor to clean the bottle I found that it to had fallen apart ... so a new sensor was in order ...

and some you beaut fluids for the cleaned fluid reservoirs ...

Heres the header tank fitted, filled and sporting a new sticker ...

But after filling the header tank and letting it sit ... I noticed a coolant leak already ... the one hose I did not replace from the water pump ( 'cause I'm going to order a full set of silicone coolant hoses from Roose ... black no stickers ) and replace it soon anyway ... so I've got another hose today but I still need to fit it.

At least I haven't run it and bleed the system already

I'm getting there ...
Old 14-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Jumbo
Regular Contributor

Coming on a treat this mate, bet this thread has made a few people go and check there looms, know i did !!!
Old 15-12-2007, 09:36 PM
JETTEC03
Virgin

Looking good buddy... enjoy watching your attention to detail on the old girl!
Will have to come and check it out in person.

Cheers
Corrigan
Old 16-12-2007, 08:43 PM
NEEDFORSPEED
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good work
Old 04-01-2008, 01:07 AM
rudeboy
Regular Contributor

Jumbo yeah the condition of the electrical leads (positive and negatve) gave me a fright ... I've heard of Cossies catching fire and those leads could have caused one on mine .

I'm thinking about a quick post in the Sierra room to warn/show people ... its quick to check and mine is an original car in otherwise pretty good condition ... I'd hate to see an 'ignored' car

So after finding the damaged wiring I decided it was a good idea to go out and buy/fit one of these Cheap insurance

Old 04-01-2008, 01:27 AM
rudeboy
Regular Contributor

It was then time to finish off the tubing for the windshield jets.

I used the same technique as above, PVC tubing and a little heat shrink (cooked on with my new pyropen ) for a 'factory' look ...

and then the washer jet ...

This is the hose on the water pump that leaked (static) when I added coolant to the header tank ...

as i said I didn't replace it at the time and now I had to get a new hose (cut to length) and replace it in-situ I thought it looked a bit 'soft' and I replaced the other hoses that seemed dodgy so its my own fault.

Anyway job done .

I then gave the fuse box lid a clean and gave it a new sticker ...

and to finish off the sticker kit the brake components got a clean and new stickers as well ...

So here we go ... all parts back in place (many replaced/upgraded) and ready for me to crank it over (bleed the PAS system, get some oil moving), start it and bleed the coolant system (from the bleed at the thermostst housing ) and give it a test drive

the drivers side of the bay ready ...

the heart and soul ...

and where the most work was done ... all back together and fluids filled (oh and a new ignition coil which got a bit of a polish) ...

Almost there ...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:13 AM
CossieGirl
Miss Doubtsalot

Nice one
Wiring looks spot on
Old 04-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 AM
trudtfish
Part of the Furniture

This looks fantastic! I think I need a project!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 AM
R5COS

mate thats looking very well i love your detail work top class
Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

wow love what you have done with the battery wiring, can you come round and do mine
Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 PM
NEEDFORSPEED
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love detailing like this especially the wiring top job
Old 05-01-2008, 01:49 AM
JETTEC03
Virgin

Happy New Year brother and the old girl looks a treat!
I'm sure you're looking forward to taking it for a spin despite the heat...

Cheers
Corrigan

Quick Reply: my Moonstone 3 Door ...