Pictures, video & Photoshop Forum If you want to show off your photoshop skills, share pics and videos of your car or other cars you've found, here's the place to go.

DWYB April pics (lots and LOTS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DWYB April pics (lots and LOTS)

Check out the quality gauge holders in the Volvo

Also check out the volvos tyre! 90 profile fricking NINETY
[/QUOTE]

Me keeping out the way of Belinda as I just span

But soon after it was me drifting around her when she span

My car has a LOT of lock

Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Your car actually looks like something is fucked in this picture it has so much lock
Old 09-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

No, its just amazing
Old 09-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Chip

Its the ENORMOUS positive camber induced by the caster it runs is more of a reason than the lock for why it looks "wrong"

Obviously works though
Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 PM
boXXer
GASH!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i spy some of my car!

Excellent day out, and gunna book the next one up soon.

Me and Dan were talking about how much lock your car has, its mad!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Good pics!!! Love boxxers car LOL @ Greig's gauges Is that the boost gause from A2 WWE?

Chaser looks smart to mate
Old 09-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Ackerman angle. Less castor would give more contact patch when im using my super 90deg lock amazingness, but less castor is less self centring, so its swings and roundabouts, esp as that much lock is almost never needed when going mega fast.
Ill be doing some testing, but either way, the lock will always be that mental.

Plenty of your Mk1 there mate! Looked a mint car, next time start on the Kidney one and get it nailed (you will in no time, you were decent ) then come out on the big track, MENTAL fast compared to the others, 4th gear in places if you got the skill/bottle!
Think you'l need to at least adjust the button on the stock handbrake to make it flyoff to nail the kidney tho, never mind the big track, its properly handy.
I did it to gregs in 5mins with a screw, a knife, and some gaffa tape! And completely reversable in 5mins too!

That boost gauge has been in his old Saff Cossie, my S12, and now the Volvo, yup.

Last edited by Stavros; 09-04-2008 at 11:55 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
boXXer
GASH!

i did manage to nail the kidney about 3 times in a row. Got some good vids which i will upload tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Stavros
Ackerman angle. Less castor would give more contact patch when im using my super 90deg lock amazingness, but less castor is less self centring, so its swings and roundabouts, esp as that much lock is almost never needed when going mega fast.
Ill be doing some testing, but either way, the lock will always be that mental.
Why did you randomly stick the words "ackerman angle" at the beginning of your post and then talk about something completely different?

Anyway, wasnt having a dig at you, and it sounds like you are getting all defensive for some reason, so i'll just leave it at:
Cool car
Old 10-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Because I didnt notice I didnt write the rest as its late and im fucked, so didnt edit it. Or maybe I wanted you to reply with summat sarcy, I dunno.

Not defensive, answering.

But I was gonna mention it was pointed out its got a lot of Ackerman when its on stupid lock, but again, no big deal as that amount of lock isnt much use at big speed anyhow.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Chip

It doesnt have anymore ackerman when its on full lock than it does when its on no lock, so whoever pointed that out to you, doesnt understand what the term actually means.

The ackerman angle is ONLY measured with the front wheels set with the steering position central, so it cant get more or less as you turn the steering wheel, the ackerman effect on toe can, but the ackerman angle itself cant change.

Id love to know a bit about suspension on drift cars and what works, cause a lot of the effects happen backwards due to the reverse lock, like the positive camber on your wheel there is cause that steering angle would normally (in grip driving) be used to induce negative camber on cornering to keep the tyre contact patch flat.

In drifting you have this weird situation that what works on the initiation does the opposite during the drift.

Very peculiar problem to try and solve, and I suspect there will never be accepted optimums like there are for grip driving, it will all come down to personal feel and preference.

Last edited by Chip; 10-04-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I would love to own a car for drifting, I honestly have more fun trying to get sideways in a carpark than I do, doing tripple figures down a road. The car I use to have fun in is only FWD which is gay because when I throw it sideways I want to keep it going but I can't. I hope that makes sense, if you know what I mean.

Is drifting as easy as it looks? I don't mean keeping to a track left then right etc, I just mean keeping the car sideways. I suppose in a high powered car like yours if you kept your foot planted it would just spin? Looks a fantastic day out, I would really love to do something like this but I can't afford to own a second cheap car or have anywhere to put it.

Fantastic pictures.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Chip- I dont know/care what the real meaning is, but what was pointed out that there is a huge difference in lock between the nearside and outside wheel at big lock. There is on all cars, and it increases with lock, but mine has tons of lock which makes it look massive.
Either way, this isnt a post for tech stuff i dont care about and is irrelavent to you and everyone else, so just leave it.

Regarding the geometry settings, youd be off your nut to think there is accepted optimums in track use. If that was the case there would be no development.
Simple fact is in track, rallying, AND drifting there are base settings that will deffo work ok if you dont want to do any testing and development, but simple fact is all cars will have different optimum settings depending on countless other aspects of the car, inc the driver, meaning settings will be way different.

Benni- Easy? Nah mate. Considering 99% of people on this forum, inc the RWD car owners, couldnt even do big circley donuts wether the car was 50bhp 500bhp or anywhere in between, then no, its not easy.
TBH its about the hardest thing you can do in a car really as unlike literally everything else you cant just go slowly to not crash. If any clown could do it good it wouldnt have much appeal.

Amount of power dont really affect if you spin either mate, unless you do cossie-spec "keep your foot to the floor and hope for the best" ace/southend stuff.

Last edited by Stavros; 10-04-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:58 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Would love to try this in someone else's shitter who doesnt care if it gets knocked about

Ace pics
Old 10-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Benni- Easy? Nah mate. Considering 99% of people on this forum, inc the RWD car owners, couldnt even do big circley donuts wether the car was 50bhp 500bhp or anywhere in between, then no, its not easy.
TBH its about the hardest thing you can do in a car really as unlike literally everything else you cant just go slowly to not crash. If any clown could do it good it wouldnt have much appeal.

Amount of power dont really affect if you spin either mate, unless you do cossie-spec "keep your foot to the floor and hope for the best" ace/southend stuff.
Thanks, I imagined it was very hard. It must be allot harder in something like an old Sierra than it would be in a modern BMW? With all the clever suspension and so on...

Looks like mega fun mind, Benni.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Benni
Thanks, I imagined it was very hard. It must be allot harder in something like an old Sierra than it would be in a modern BMW? With all the clever suspension and so on...

Looks like mega fun mind, Benni.

Im not convinced there is a big difference providing you weld the diff first, sierras arent actually that bad, the fastford was pretty easy to drift, and that had no money really spent on it.

you DONT need to spend money to drift, some of the guys at the DWYB days have spent almost nothing and are skidding really well.

Its all about seat time really, if you went to a few days in a reasonable car, you would be able to do it to a standard that you would probably be surprised at.

Its a bit of a weird learning curve from what ive seen, you get nowhere for a while, then suddenly it clicks into place and you get to the stage where you are actually drifting but arent great, and that happens pretty quickly, then from there on in to actually be competitive is a lot of learning again.
Its good though cause it means in 3 days or so, you can be good enough to enjoy it a lot for most people IMHO
Old 10-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

TBH Benni type of car matters far less than almost anything else you can do in cars, its the great leveller.
If your good you are good even in a shit car, if your shit your shit even in a good car, "its the car" isnt a valid excuse.

Dont get me wrong, the better the car is the better you can be, but can drift anything if you are any good. You wont be as fast or as good as in a better car, but you will be able to.

But the best car in the world wont help you when you cant do it, but the worst car wont really hinder you either.

Best bet is to ignore people chatting on the net about what they have seen and heard with no 1st hand experience, and just go have a go if you want to regardless of what anyone advises you.

Last edited by Stavros; 10-04-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Chip

Best bet is to ignore people chatting on the net about what they have seen and heard with no 1st hand experience, and just go have a go if you want to regardless of what anyone advises you.
Good advice, certainly what I did, and I reckon you'll know pretty quickly if you are going to enjoy it or not

Easier said than done though if you have to start aquiring a rwd car and insuring it etc though, so might be a plan to look at getting something with a couple of mates, or see if mates have a car you can borrow, thats what ive done in the past.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:51 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

fantastic
Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 PM
cossie daz
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

only 1 ford drifting??? when the next 1???
Old 11-04-2008, 09:46 AM
boXXer
GASH!

Dan @ Rapidford was there too.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:50 AM
YBJ
Thinking Cosworth..

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do some of them have their front bumper or hood removed? Is this because to lose extra heat from the motor?

And is japanese plate (i quess) from the purple car original or a show plate? Looks cool.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Windle
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

off topic a little, what are these alloys ?

Old 11-04-2008, 12:00 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pics. Looks like fun this driftng game. seems to have become massively popular. Is that because people thought they could do it, gave it a try, found out they couldnt and carried on until they learnt, or is it just a fad which will drop out this time next year?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Nice pics. Looks like fun this driftng game. seems to have become massively popular. Is that because people thought they could do it, gave it a try, found out they couldnt and carried on until they learnt, or is it just a fad which will drop out this time next year?
None of the above really.

There been drift comps in the UK for 7 years now and been a big part of major shows/events for a good few years too, so not exactly a fad.
Its just got gradually got better known, and most the same people from then are the best ones now.

If you wanna be good, you stick with it, if you wanna just give it all the chat at cruises and on forums making out your amazing when your shit like everyone does, you dont.
Old 13-04-2008, 06:00 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

some videos from the day
boxxers mk1
http://www.vimeo.com/891237
steves chaser
http://www.vimeo.com/890817
my volvo
http://www.vimeo.com/892383
a guy who hadnt drifted in a YEAR turns up in a drift car and smokes the course!!!
http://www.vimeo.com/892775
Old 13-04-2008, 06:42 PM
jonnyrsturbo
is half man, half amazin'

good picz
Old 13-04-2008, 07:38 PM
boXXer
GASH!

that vid of my mk1 is awesome!