General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Oil + temperature warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 02:19 PM
D4NG3R0U5
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil + temperature warning lights

So I've got a '94 Citreon AX 1.0(Its not a ford I know but there are a lot of knowledgable folk on here so I thought people might have an idea). Recently the battery kept dying so I fitted a new one, that didn't help so I got a new alternator for it. My dad fitted it this morning then he took it out for a drive along the motorway to see if it was working (I haven't passed my test yet). Whilst he was driving along the oil pressure warning light and the temperature warning light both came on at the same time. He then drove it home at 20mph in second gear. I really don't have much of an idea about engines but this can't be a good thing. Does anyone know:
1) what would've caused this?
2) how much damage has been done to the engine(if any)
3) How to fix it?

I am probably going to get it looked at by a professional but was just wondering if anyone has any ideas?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

a) headgasket, lack of water, lack of oil etc
b)New/s/hand engine needed at worst at best fresh oil and water see what happens
c)see above
Old 02-01-2006, 03:24 PM
D4NG3R0U5

yeah this is what i thought but thought it was strange seeing as it happened just as the alternator was replaced? i've not checked the oil, or coolant levels yet, purely because its freezing and i can't be arsed. Will have a look later on or maybe tomorrow though
Old 02-01-2006, 03:27 PM
NEO™®©
PassionFord Post Troll

nah m8 mine does that from time to time if they both come on at the same time then its a loose connection somewhere as u will notice that when you start the car they both stay on for a sec then go out at the same time like a self test type thing hth

Dave
Old 02-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

could just be electric fualt dodgy wiring, did it drive ok
Old 02-01-2006, 03:31 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, check wiring, your dad may have knocked a terminal or something whilst doing the alternator.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:33 PM
D4NG3R0U5

Nah don't think its dodgy wiring mate, according to my dad who drove the car, the lights came on at higher revs and went off again when he went down to 20mph and second gear. Its also a bit too much of a coincidence as its doing it just as the alternator was replaced.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

current related, sure all wires were put back on alt ok??
Old 02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
NEO™®©
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by NEO™®©
nah m8 mine does that from time to time if they both come on at the same time then its a loose connection somewhere as u will notice that when you start the car they both stay on for a sec then go out at the same time like a self test type thing hth

Dave
seriously m8 mine does it from time to time
Old 02-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my AXGT did similar

Basically the rad and exhaust manifold had touched and it had burnt a hole causing a leak- I was 18 and didn't really understand.

Check there is no signs of this.

The check there is no air in the system. TO do this switch interior fans to hot take header tank cap off (where u put the water) and run the engine, at the rear of the engine where the pipes go to the bulk head is a small cap - looks like a tyre valve, undo it and wait till water shoots out of it. close that.
The at the top on the left of the rad is a small cap undo that and wait for the same, you may need to top the rad up with anti freeze while performing this.

That will at least make sure the water is circulating and not blocked which is easy on these engines and will make the temp light come on quickly.

When you have done this comment on the state of the water- at worst it should just be murky and look rusty and at best it should be blue or pink depending on anti freeze.
You dont want any mayonaise type deposits in it.

Jake