General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Q plate questions

Search this Thread

Old 28-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q plate questions

Just kicking an idea around in my head just now, kinda following on from my post about my old cabby.

If you went down to the scrappy, and found a scrapped car with a really good shell, can you take that shell from the scrappy and rebuild the car back onto the road as a Q plate after an SVA - i.e. rebuilding a car from a reclaimed shell?
Old 28-12-2005, 01:27 PM
SamERST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I think so im not 100% though
Old 28-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the vehicle has been recorded as scrap to the dvla via logbook retreival, then that is what it stays as. scrap
Old 28-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Graceland
if the vehicle has been recorded as scrap to the dvla via logbook retreival, then that is what it stays as. scrap
yeah but a test from dvla to give it a q plate would surley loose that

unless they no longer do q plate cars
Old 28-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

if a vehicle is registered scrap with the dvla then it can NOT be re-registered.

even says it on the dvla website somewhere too
Old 28-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look on the DVLA's site tonight, unless you have it to hand mate?

I thought the shell could have the numbers scrubbed off, VIN plate removed, then be treated as a 'reconditioned' shell & Q plated that way?
Then get a new number stamped on by the DVLA. Yeah, the trail would lead back to scrap (I'd not hide that, after all it would only be for me anyway) but it would be SVA'd up - surely not a problem?
Old 28-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

if you "scrub off the numbers" then be prepared to get violated for "ringing"
Old 28-12-2005, 04:22 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

What abou people who buy cars from the scrapyard then? Remember that lad on pimp my ride UK with the Capri? He bought that at a scrappers, it even had marks where the big claw had lifted it! That was all legal.
Old 28-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

if you "scrub off the numbers" then be prepared to get violated for "ringing"
why, its only ringing IF he uses a id thats for ment for the car
Old 28-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

I'd only get done for ringing if I was passing the car off as something it isn't? I.E a stolen car with legit details or whatever.

What I'm suggesting is getting the shell, going to the DVLA, getting the ID removed, and getting it SVA'd and then Q plated.
Old 28-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

What abou people who buy cars from the scrapyard then? Remember that lad on pimp my ride UK with the Capri? He bought that at a scrappers, it even had marks where the big claw had lifted it! That was all legal.
Only legal if the scrappy hasn't registered the car as scrap I think. Buying it from them, even clawed to death, is ok I believe as long as it hasn't been declared as scrapped.

Scrappy near me takes in loads of cars as 'scrap' but often fixes up and sells on ones with minor damage as they just don't register it as scrapped. They sell 'em on cheap as damaged, but not scrap.

I think if the car is scrapped you can't just go in & buy it back. Thats what made me think of all this reshell Q plate stuff.
Old 28-12-2005, 07:35 PM
James Raby
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A Q plate is only a prefix given to a car that the proper identity or age cannot be determined

BTW, even if you have shed loads of paperwork to proove its identity, the DVLA will STILL shaft you...
Old 28-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

OK, looked on the DVLA site, can they vague it up a bit for me?
Here's some stuff from their site that suggests it can be done:

"If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used an ESVA/SVA/MSVA certificate will be required to register the vehicle and a 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated."

This suggests to me that I could get the shell out the scrappy, get a crashed cabby, strip it & rebuild the scrap shell using the crashed cars bits & get it Q'd.

About VIN's

"This is a legal requirement for all vehicles used on the public highway to carry a Vehicle Identity Number (VIN). This may be lost when a vehicle is substantially rebuilt, particularly in the case of kit vehicles where the chassis/bodyshell may not have been stamped by the manufacturer. In such circumstances the DVLA Local Office will allocate a replacement VIN."

There are a few ins & outs to it but if the VIN is lost, I guess maybe if the car had a replacement floor due to rot? - it looks like you can get a new one. But I'm not sure about this cos then surely you could scrub off VIN's left right & centre & get a new one?

Looks like I need to keep looking / reading!
Old 28-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

A Q plate is only a prefix given to a car that the proper identity or age cannot be determined
So basically, since you can 'prove' that a scrapped shell is a scrapped shell by looking up the DVLA's records, then it cannot go back on the road?
Old 28-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

phone dvla,,,,,,,, they just as cagey about what they say than the site is

if you want a mk4 cabrio shell then ive got one you can have foc, just need to collect it
Old 28-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

Thanks very much for the offer mate , but I'm up in Central Scotland & can't get it transported to me. The shell I'm thinking about I've had before and I've a sentimental attachement to it.

On the DVLA's Northern Ireland site, it is nice & crystal clear:

If a car has been notified as having been written off and or scrapped after sustaining substantial damage, DVLNI will not issue a V5C(NI) Registration Certificate for the vehicle until Driver & Vehicle Testing Agency (DVTA) inform us that it has passed a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC).

If you apply for a V5C(NI) Registration Certificate for a vehicle that has been written off and/or scrapped you will be told that the vehicle needs a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC).

An application for an inspection will need to be made to DVTA who will examine the vehicle and verify its identity.

If DVTA believe, that the vehicle presented for testing is the original vehicle, a VIC Pass Certificate will be issued. This will enable DVLNI to proceed with your application, subject to normal requirements.

If only it was the same / as clear over here.
Old 28-12-2005, 08:19 PM
TrickyDicky
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by BlueSmoke
that will come to an unfortunate head soon as more and more scrapyards have to by law comply with the elv (end of life vehicle legislation), its happening already at about 50 percent of the yards in england and there looking in the next 12 months to either close or force in lkine others to comply, basically what happens/will happen is as you take your no longer vehicle to local yard they are computer linked to dvla and as soon as you drive car into yard they log on and issue you with a certificate of destruction for said vehicle so if asked you can prove its been disposed of environmentally friendly, so immediately car is in yard its known as scrap at dvla-whereas before all yards used to "stockpile" v5's for vehicles incase of someone wanting to buy a project car.

i think long gone are now the days of finding an RS1600i etc at back of yard for 50 quid!

Tricky
Old 28-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

VIC scheme doesn't apply to scrapped cars at present, so that avenue is closed. Found the legislation itself on the DOT website and it said it could be extended ther in the future, but isn't at present.

Fingers crossed the fugger stockpiled my old shell's V5!!
Old 28-12-2005, 08:22 PM
bullsrs
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Q plates were stopped years ago, if a car is now listed as accident write off/scrapped ( as its classed by vosa) it WILL need a v.i.c. to prove that the identity relates to the car it is being issued for, try searching vosa website for better confirmation of this though
Old 28-12-2005, 08:27 PM
bullsrs
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

p.s try ringing this number to see if it needs a vic mate, 08706060440 you will need reg no. of the car bud, i use it everytime i buy a accident damaged motor, it costs nowt too
Old 29-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

Thanks for that number mate, according to the guy I spoke to, my old car doesn't require a VIC.
Old 29-12-2005, 11:32 AM
BlueSmoke

If a Q is issued for an unidentifiable shell then couldn't he just make the shell unidentifiable so that it couldn't be proven it was ever scrapped and then get a Q issued?
Old 29-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

Spoke to DVLA, according to them it is just a case of 'apply for the reg docs & cross your fingers' - which suits me really cos if I got the shell it would cost buttons anyway!
VOSA said there was no marker on it to say the car was scrapped.
Old 29-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

Jay yeah I could I guess, I could hide its past but it may be I don't need to!
Old 29-12-2005, 11:35 AM
BlueSmoke

Originally Posted by Al1exx
Jay yeah I could I guess, I could hide its past but it may be I don't need to!
Aye hopefully not. I'm not saying anybody should. What I am saying is that the way it's worded seems to suggest that you could get away with doing that quite easily if you were so inclined.

Any pics of the shell?

Good luck mate
Old 29-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

Yeah exactly, I don't want to hide the past, I'd rather be totally up front (yeah it was a scrapped shell, and I rebuilt it etc), but the way it is worded, it's like they are happy to say 'oh it's scrapped so we won't let you put it back on the road, but whip the numbers off & we'll happily dish out a Q plate & you can put it on the road again.'

There is even reference to cut & shut cars getting a Q plate - I thought they'd get the crusher!

I have one solitary lonely pic of my old car I will post it up later.
Old 29-12-2005, 12:57 PM
H20LRW
BANNED
BANNED

if a vehicle is registered scrap with the dvla then it can NOT be re-registered.

even says it on the dvla website somewhere too
i scrapped a orion about 7 weeks ago, (sent off book!) had a change of heart and decided to put baCK on the road, spoke to DVLA and sent off the remains of said logbook, and 2 weeks later i got a logbook...
Old 29-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

About a year ago I bought a J reg XR4x4 from a scrappy for Ł120, including delivery to home 30 miles away. (This is the the rustiest vehicle I have ever seen anywhere but mechanically it is good).

They had the car in for scrap, and had burst the petrol tank to drain it, and the front bumper, wheels and electric sunroof were gone, as were the number plates, but the expired tax disc was still in the window so I just wrote to DVLA for a log book and it arrived a couple of weeks later.
Old 29-12-2005, 03:25 PM
BlueSmoke

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
About a year ago I bought a J reg XR4x4 from a scrappy for Ł120, including delivery to home 30 miles away. (This is the the rustiest vehicle I have ever seen anywhere but mechanically it is good).

They had the car in for scrap, and had burst the petrol tank to drain it, and the front bumper, wheels and electric sunroof were gone, as were the number plates, but the expired tax disc was still in the window so I just wrote to DVLA for a log book and it arrived a couple of weeks later.
Just out of interest, what did you bloody buy it for? Sounds like msot of it was gone and all you bought was a rusty sell
Old 29-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

Lads this gives me a little hope, all cross your fingers that somehow the shell has survived in the scrapyard...
Old 29-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSmoke
Originally Posted by Iain Mac

Just out of interest, what did you bloody buy it for? Sounds like msot of it was gone and all you bought was a rusty sell
Sold the tailgate and spoiler, plus the interior and a few other bits like lights. The Ł50 or so it stood me after that made it a cheap donor for a project. When I eventually get finished transferring the bits into my new and unregistered XR4i shell, I should get a J reg for it which will make it a little different.

And I've still got the black dash...
Old 30-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Al1exx
Part of the Furniture

Here's the reply I got from the DVLA:

"A vehicle which has previously been recorded as scrapped may be used in order to create a rebuilt vehicle. I cannot advise as to whether the original registration number will be available as this decision lies with your DVLA Local Office. They will allocate points for original parts used, as explained in the previous email. Certainly the fact that this vehicle has previously been recorded as scrapped will not prevent it from being used.
"