General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Patriotism

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriotism

I know these things sometimes stir a lot of trouble on a public BB but I am 100% behind this and felt I needed to pass it on.

This is an editorial written by a British citizen, published in a National newspaper................

IMMIGRANTS, NOT BRITS MUST ADAPT.
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on the 7th of the 7th we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Brits. However, the disgust about the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct!" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Britain, Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. (The Danes, Romans etc.) However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of the Brits being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Britain’s we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Indian, Urdu, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!
"Land of Hope & Glory" is our motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan we adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented.
It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

If the 'Union Jack' flag offends you, or you don't like our QUEEN, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our Laws give every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so!
But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our lifestyle our government, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great BRITISH freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.
It is Time for Gt. Britain to Speak up
Old 03-12-2005, 11:48 AM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 177 Likes on 167 Posts

so so true!
Old 03-12-2005, 11:49 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

It's been posted before.

It just promotes aggrevation towards the wrong people.

It's white upper middle class do-gooders who invent all this PC crap.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all true apart from the union jack, sorry i HATE that flag as its just a symbol of parts of the world WE have invaded

ill stick with st george if you dont mind

apart from that i sooooo agree, wonder how many on here know when st georges day acually is*

* dont count if you used a search engine to find it

i am English and proud just like the welsh and scottish
Old 03-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think you are wrong in this case. This is as much of a slate of British attitudes as it is of the minority of immigrants who are not here for the right reasons.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

Default Re: Patriotism

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
I know these things sometimes stir a lot of trouble on a public BB but I am 100% behind this and felt I needed to pass it on.

This is an editorial written by a British citizen, published in a National newspaper................
Which one?

IMMIGRANTS, NOT BRITS MUST ADAPT.
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on the 7th of the 7th we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Brits. However, the disgust about the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct!" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.
I vocied my opinion on this at the time. People were branding ALL Muslims as potential terrorists. Sensible people can see this isnt the case. A VERY small number of people become terrorists and blow up public transport. But anybody expressing that view is branded as a PC idiot. I agree that there are a small percentage of English people that have too much time on their hands and decide that our flag must offend others,But its not actually the case. Most immigrants actually want to settle in. Around the time of the last World cup an Asian shop keeper put up a St Georges cross, he was lambasted by residents for upsetting non-white people. THAT'S PC gone mad!

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Britain, Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. (The Danes, Romans etc.) However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of the Brits being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Britain’s we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.
What were those people in the Wars fighting for? Fredom of speech/ Freedom to do whatever you want I would think. I understand the point its making, but if you defend Free of Speech then you can dis-agree with anything, including our "national identity"

We speak ENGLISH, not Indian, Urdu, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!
Yep, Id go with that

"Land of Hope & Glory" is our motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan we adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented.
It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.
I'm not by nature religious, but too may people hate other religions but dont actually practice Christianity. If you want to use Christianity as a founding part of your make up/national identity, then you should at least go to Church on a Sunday. And i would suggest that not many people live in a Christian way anymore.

If the 'Union Jack' flag offends you, or you don't like our QUEEN, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our Laws give every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so!
First Off its not the Union Jack unless its on a Navy ship. Its just the Union Flag. Secondly, that piece is a contradiction. "we give you every right to express your opinion, as long as its not different from ours"

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our lifestyle our government, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great BRITISH freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.
It is Time for Gt. Britain to Speak up
I completely dis-agree a lot with how the Government gets on with it. Shall I leave too?

This article, over simplifies the current situation. Its too one sided, which means its completely pointless. If it was balanced, then it might make some decent points that should be heard. But sadly its just a rant.

Originally Posted by b19bal
ill stick with st george if you dont mind
What nationality was St George?
Old 03-12-2005, 11:59 AM
nigel b
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

totally agree
same as all this human rights idiocy
Old 03-12-2005, 12:00 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah its true, but people have been saying it for the last 5 years and nothing changes, in fact it changes for the worse.

all topics like this do is piss people off as it reitterates the problem with UK.

Posting up here wont change a thing.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:02 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Just live and let live.

This country has not given a monkeys about it's herritage for years but all of a sudden we now claim to want to fly the flag with pride.

One minute people are slagging off the government, slagging off the queen, saying how it's going to the dogs and how they are going to leave and then the next they are ranting about how what they love is being tainted.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

St Georges nationality does not bother me in the slightest, nor does the fact dragons have never exsisted, its the point that no matter where it came from it shows my true land, not a general flag thats a marker of what we have taken, its no different to the nazi flag if they actually succeded IMO

the union jack not the English flag but the british flag, im English as ive never lived in the colonys and never will ( well actually i may woth malta but have a butchers at there flag and what they celebrate in april )

so who cares about the fairy storey, its about knowing who you are and im English
Old 03-12-2005, 12:12 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

I think you are wrong in this case. This is as much of a slate of British attitudes as it is of the minority of immigrants who are not here for the right reasons.
I agree with you and people with the intelect to see that should feel the same. Although as Rich points out it's a rant really.

But a lot of people will just read something like that and respond with "Yeah f**k the imigrants, throw em all in the sea - trying to come here and change how we live"
Old 03-12-2005, 03:32 PM
The Rapid 1
Advanced PassionFord User

Totally agree with the original statement. It affects me personally.

All the Politicaly corect users here, do you have to actually have any dealings with these imigrants and other races ?

I do and it isnt pleasant

In the factory where I work I am the minority

Lets start with the Religious part

The Mouslims WANT to come in and work on the 25 December cause it means nothing to them and they dont want to have to use a days holiday/not get paid for staying at home, ok fine you all say, let them work, but it aint that easy as most of em cant work unsupervised, they just idiots that work the lines (ye there are white english that are the same so not a racist comment) so they need the higher skilled people to go in and make the decissions for them or in my case fix the machinery that they break (you would not believe how many times you tell them not to throw a bucket of water over a motor, control panel etc ), oh and low and behold the company has agreed so they can come and work so so do we have to, regardless that a month ago they were all given time off for Ramadan

Language, we all been on the end of that, any time you walk into a corner shop , but at work just a couple of weeks ago an Asian QA was bought to tears by another Asian manager who berrated her infront of her OWN manager in their language, the girl told her boss she cant tell her exactly all and what he said, but part of it was that the girl would do what he wanted not what her boss wanted and we all know how the indian women are treated in their own religion

Habbits, when i go to the toilet i hope to find a reasonably clean toilet that i can sit on and use without feeling sick, well if you work arround an Asian comunity that dont happen because they dont sit on seats as that against there religion, they have to stand on the seats, which doesnt make for the best way of getting contents of ones body into the bowl , oh and due to the pressures on the seats they are normally broken, they cant even lift them and stand on the bowl for some reason, so if nothing else costs my company in keep replacing seats, and we aint talking about 1 a week either, BUT what can the company say about it, as it would be Racist, and being mainenance it is me that has to keep going replacing the seats

None of the above is racist just all truths, and as the original statement said if they want to be here fine but respect our ways, if not then find somewhere better.

PS personally am not religeous at all, and hate all religeon fullstop.GOD DOES NOT EXIST there was no one person/power that created earth it was created from scientific phenomina and events PROVEN, so that makes all religous events and beliefs, lies, LIES that create hatred and wars, there should be no need for it.

Without religeon the biggest problems we would then have would be the colour of peoples skin, which would be a lot easier to accept if they didnt have an argument about there beliefs being the right ones, as under that skin we are all flesh an blood breathing the same air, with our bodies working biologically the same way, I hate religion, race issues, and evrything connected, it should all come down to truths and science, all humans are equal and the same.

Rant over

Steve
Old 03-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Old 03-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Kop2381
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree
Old 03-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

totally agree with that Paul.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:54 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

all true apart from the union jack, sorry i HATE that flag as its just a symbol of parts of the world WE have invaded
and

the union jack not the English flag but the british flag, im English as ive never lived in the colonys and never will ( well actually i may woth malta but have a butchers at there flag and what they celebrate in april )
Erm how did you work that one out ginge? Its a combination of the English Gt George Cross and the Scottish St Andrews Cross flags and was introduced when James the VI of Scotland ascended to the throne of England to become James the I in 1606 to represent the unification of the two countries.

Has absolutely nothing to do with any other country let alone ones we invaded back in the 1600's we were to busy fighting the French.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Stu @ Fordsport
Erm how did you work that one out ginge? Its a combination of the English Gt George Cross and the Scottish St Andrews Cross flags and was introduced when James the VI of Scotland ascended to the throne of England to become James the I in 1606 to represent the unification of the two countries.

Has absolutely nothing to do with any other country let alone ones we invaded.
Ginge.............
Old 03-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

stu think about where that flag is usually located ????

i know why it came about but its what it was then turned to symbolise

im English, always have been and so i have my OWN flag not a amalgamation of others

you stick to posting about carbon engine blocks and titainium fuel lines for a xr2
Old 03-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

But he is right tho Ginge... Just because it is on the aussie flag and american flags etc doesn't mean nowt!

And we collonised the countries not invaded em
Old 03-12-2005, 04:05 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

im English, always have been and so i have my OWN flag not a amalgamation of others
im born and bread in wales,,,im proud of being welsh, but if anyone asks me what nationallity i am i say BRITSH
biscuittin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i agree i'm not against people who want to come here , but if you don't like the way we live , our religion etc THEN DON'T COME HERE !!!!!!!
Ginge !
just finding my feet

explain the difference ?????

on the other hand i also dont belive in the royal family as there rule they still have as "unchanged" law is bollox and does worry me why they dont bother to change em

i cant argue at govenment as thats democracy for ya
Old 03-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by GARETH T

im born and bread in wales,,,im proud of being welsh, but if anyone asks me what nationallity i am i say BRITSH
so would i,,,,,,, infact with that hair i also would give em a fake name too
Old 03-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Poom

Originally Posted by The Rapid 1
Totally agree with the original statement. It affects me personally.

All the Politicaly corect users here, do you have to actually have any dealings with these imigrants and other races ?

I do and it isnt pleasant

In the factory where I work I am the minority

Lets start with the Religious part

The Mouslims WANT to come in and work on the 25 December cause it means nothing to them and they dont want to have to use a days holiday/not get paid for staying at home, ok fine you all say, let them work, but it aint that easy as most of em cant work unsupervised, they just idiots that work the lines (ye there are white english that are the same so not a racist comment) so they need the higher skilled people to go in and make the decissions for them or in my case fix the machinery that they break (you would not believe how many times you tell them not to throw a bucket of water over a motor, control panel etc ), oh and low and behold the company has agreed so they can come and work so so do we have to, regardless that a month ago they were all given time off for Ramadan

Language, we all been on the end of that, any time you walk into a corner shop , but at work just a couple of weeks ago an Asian QA was bought to tears by another Asian manager who berrated her infront of her OWN manager in their language, the girl told her boss she cant tell her exactly all and what he said, but part of it was that the girl would do what he wanted not what her boss wanted and we all know how the indian women are treated in their own religion

Habbits, when i go to the toilet i hope to find a reasonably clean toilet that i can sit on and use without feeling sick, well if you work arround an Asian comunity that dont happen because they dont sit on seats as that against there religion, they have to stand on the seats, which doesnt make for the best way of getting contents of ones body into the bowl , oh and due to the pressures on the seats they are normally broken, they cant even lift them and stand on the bowl for some reason, so if nothing else costs my company in keep replacing seats, and we aint talking about 1 a week either, BUT what can the company say about it, as it would be Racist, and being mainenance it is me that has to keep going replacing the seats

None of the above is racist just all truths, and as the original statement said if they want to be here fine but respect our ways, if not then find somewhere better.

PS personally am not religeous at all, and hate all religeon fullstop.GOD DOES NOT EXIST there was no one person/power that created earth it was created from scientific phenomina and events PROVEN, so that makes all religous events and beliefs, lies, LIES that create hatred and wars, there should be no need for it.

Without religeon the biggest problems we would then have would be the colour of peoples skin, which would be a lot easier to accept if they didnt have an argument about there beliefs being the right ones, as under that skin we are all flesh an blood breathing the same air, with our bodies working biologically the same way, I hate religion, race issues, and evrything connected, it should all come down to truths and science, all humans are equal and the same.

Rant over

Steve
Totally agree! Like at my old job they let asians have both Ramadam AND christmas off because it saved them opening the place up on Xmas day for them to come in and work!

I asked about having an extra days holiday, got told to fuck off basicly!

How does that work? they cant even speak english, one was paid cash in hand cos he wasnt even legal over here and has more rights than me!

They also used to take the piss out of people in their own language and laugh about them....that to me is racist! I say anything back to them like learn to speak english you cunts and I am branded racist and given a bollocking because I could not prove it was about me!

The way to do it, look for swear words in their lanaguage and abuse them twice as hard, they get double offended by saying their mum sucks donkeys and stuff
Old 03-12-2005, 04:09 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I think that pretty much proves my point right there.

You said it was a representation of the countries we invaded, its not it a representation of the unified forces of Scotland and England, the reason its called a UNION Jack (and eventually every country that became part of the british empire). But its not an English or Scottich flag and saying its a replacement for them is untrue.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:12 PM
bullsrs
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

one other quick rant, asylum seekers pass several other countries where they can seek asylum yet they all want to come here cos our gov`t is living in a bubble and give them all sorts, even down to cutting their front gardens from the local council, yet the bloke who lived next to my dad couldn`t get it done and he had 1 leg, the council told him to do it himself, less than a week later my pal who works for the council was at the asylum seekers over the road to my dads house cutting his grass.
Poom

Originally Posted by Stu @ Fordsport

I think that pretty much proves my point right there.

You said it was a representation of the countries we invaded, its not it a representation of the unified forces of Scotland and England, the reason its called a UNION Jack. But its not an English or Scottich flag and saying its a replacement for them is untrue.
surely the flag is like the EU flag on a smaller scale?
Ginge !
just finding my feet

maybe its just me thats English then
Old 03-12-2005, 04:13 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Poom
surely the flag is like the EU flag on a smaller scale?
I think that Describes it quite nicely
Old 03-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Poom

Originally Posted by bullsrs
one other quick rant, asylum seekers pass several other countries where they can seek asylum yet they all want to come here cos our gov`t is living in a bubble and give them all sorts, even down to cutting their front gardens from the local council, yet the bloke who lived next to my dad couldn`t get it done and he had 1 leg, the council told him to do it himself, less than a week later my pal who works for the council was at the asylum seekers over the road to my dads house cutting his grass.
Oh yeah, they get phones, houses, cars, driving lessons, money to live! They arent having a bad life! If yuo are in Coventry and you see them in a shop they are always clothes shopping and handing out big wads of cash.....

I work over 60 hours a week and still struggle to pay for life (and their life in my shocking amounts of tax)
Old 03-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Poom

maybe its just me thats English then
I agree I am English too! If there is a form I put English!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Old 03-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

they also get vouchers to buy cars as its costs the government too much in cab fees to ferry them about

they always have a wad of cash as its not cheep to leave a country remember and even getting here you need some form of cash and education

just cause they speak the lanuage they aint thick, they just realised that theres no point going to work if they get less cash in the long run, thats human nature to take the easy way and why soo many of you lot are on here during work time rather than finding more work to do thats not for you to
Old 03-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Think you will find the Union Flag (Jack) is a symbolisation of all FOUR countrys within the UK.. England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland, though Wales isn't physically represented.. Well in theory it is as Wales was registered as part of England in 1500's (thereofre we OWN them )... which made Wales a "principality" NOT a kingdom

Also The Union Flag became known and recognised as the Union Jack in the 20th century by parliament, regardless of whether it is hoisted upon the Bow of a Royal Navy ship or not .
Old 03-12-2005, 04:38 PM
GlassBalls
Virgin

110% in agreement!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Poom

they also get vouchers to buy cars as its costs the government too much in cab fees to ferry them about

they always have a wad of cash as its not cheep to leave a country remember and even getting here you need some form of cash and education

just cause they speak the lanuage they aint thick, they just realised that theres no point going to work if they get less cash in the long run, thats human nature to take the easy way and why soo many of you lot are on here during work time rather than finding more work to do thats not for you to
I didnt say they were thick...more ignorant! If it is so costly to get out of a country...why do they still have wads of cash left?

The government dont pay for my taxis or car! I have paid tax since I was 16 because I have been WORKING to EARN my money! Who cares if I am on here at work? I dont choose to work so many hours per work on 12 hours shifts, I have to be able to survive to be honest! The time I am at work I am paying tax...to pay for them! You obviously love them so be grateful!

I cant spend my days shopping for clothes, driving around clapped out cars I didnt pay for and am probably not insured on, buying things for my house!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

heyi dont love them, just pointing out there not the problem, there just following the instructions
Old 03-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Poom

Yeah but if I stroll into Albania for example and expect that to happen I would get shot probably!

Whycan it not be the same here? "Human rights"

It seems anybody who was born outside of the UK or whatever has more of them in the UK than Brits!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

whos fault though !!!!
Old 03-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Poom

whos fault though !!!!
Not blaming you mate!

Quick Reply: Patriotism