General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Snowboarding in Europe in Dec/Jan

Search this Thread

Old 29-06-2004, 05:08 AM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snowboarding in Europe in Dec/Jan

Where when and how much is really what i am after, it is for my girlfriend and i and neither of us have done it before.

Cheers

Mike
Old 29-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Petrucci
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I pretty think that when it comes to snow, nothing can beat Alps in France, mate. (or maybe some places in Austria, but can't tell you much about them).
In France, in Alps, there is about 2 or 3 meters of snow every winter, and we got the 3 biggest skiing stations of the whole Europe... can tell you they are simply amazing.
I would suggest you go to "La Plagne", or "Isola 2000", or "Val d'isere", which are amongst the 3 better.
You'll really enjoy those places

About the price, i would say it will cost you approx 300 pounds a week for the renting of the flat (in which up to 6 people can stay and sleep), 50 pounds a week for the snowboarding and shoes renting (per person), and approx 12 pounds a day for the "skiing licence" which you have to buy.
Say, for one week, if you are 2, it would cost you approximately 284 pounds per person for the complete set (i didn't count the price of the travel, of course... i don't know where you are, but presume that you know where Alps are... they are in southern east France, just close to the Swiss frontier). This is quite cheap considering the amount of fun you will have there, mate.
Got pics if you're interested, i go there 3 times a year
Old 29-06-2004, 02:33 PM
mybluechicken
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Switzerland!

http://www.matterhornstate.com/e/winter/
Old 29-06-2004, 02:47 PM
CabrioTurbo
PassionFord Post Troll

ive been to chamonix twice this year! IMO its very good for beginers... even on the bigger slopes there are big wide greens runs... Dependant on where you stay it can either be very cheap or very expensive.
If you stay in a hostel type place (gite) its about £10 a night! otherwise you will be looking at one of the hotels or private challets and these arent cheap!
As regards to travelling we got a Bmi flight for £24 each (return ) from manshester to geneva and hited a car and drove to chamonix (bout 90 mins away from airport)
If you have never done it before then my advise would to be to get a few lessons before you go.. (5 will prob do) you can learn very quickly when there but you need a basic understanding of how to control a board!
Luckily the first time i went it was with a friend who was very good and i soon got better myself by watching him and taking my time on the wide green runs.
If you want anymore info feel free to pm me.. we are hopefully going again on jan 3rd next year
CheeRs
Phil
Old 29-06-2004, 03:04 PM
jasonp
Advanced PassionFord User

i went to chatel last year for new years snowboarding. 4 of us went and i drove, we got a chalet that slept 6 for £200 for 7 days right at the bottom of the slopes. Had loads of snow If i was you id get a last minute booking as we saved about £500 just on the chalet and we got a late night ferry crossing which was cheap.

I recon with passes and food etc the whole week cost about £200 each including diesel.

were going again this year but i will be takeing my shit snow board this time due to rocks
Old 29-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alp d huez IMO looked perfect for learning to snowboard........

All the main runs lead down into a wide and I mean wide green run type gradiant area..

The other place that looked good for beginners as well was Val Thorens which also gives you access to the three vallies, which is cool man!

As for snowboarding in general if you want to enjoy yourself and not get hurt then:

1. Wear wrist gaurds or join to many idiots that break thier wrist every year because they knew better!LOL If you do just one thing make sure it's this!

2. Wear a helmet, when you catch that back edge your find out why!!LOL

3. Don't try and look cool with shite unpractical sunglasses, get some decent goggles.

4. Knee pads, saves beating the shit out of your knees!! (Rollerblade knee pads seem to work fine)!

5. If you can afford them then get some protective shorts, as guess what you will fall on your arse alot and hurting your cocix is a fooker!!!LOL
( http://www.snowandrock.com/brands/pr...duct_sku=EDIDM )

(6. And if your a paranoid like me wear a back protector!!LOL)

And don't let some knob tell you need to be really good before you wear any of the above, your should wear it at any level.
Old 29-06-2004, 04:02 PM
RC4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

try the snowdome @ tamworth staffs a couple of times first mate
www.adrenalintrip.net then to snowboarding forum a couple of wankers on the site but any questions should be answered!!!by genuine people
why not try sweden?
Old 30-06-2004, 04:55 AM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers guys for the great replys

Can anybody recomened any actual hotels in any of the above places, it will just me myself and my misses and money is not really an object just no 5 star places some were decent and clean and must have good restaurants as well (I get hungary)

Once again cheers guys

Have always wanted to try it and so has the misses so might quit work for christmas and go after that.

Mike
Old 30-06-2004, 06:27 AM
Adam Ash
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Les Arcs Rocks

Boarded there a couple of times, always have a top time and its close to La Plagne and Val Disere and doesnt cost the earth
Old 30-06-2004, 06:58 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Been to Chamonix twice now and is excellent. I went a bit later in the season (Beginning of April), but still snowed heavy. Ski pass was 134euro for 4 days. Not sure on accomodation prices as i paid fook all, but drinks etc are fairly dear!!! (Company thing!).

Chris
Old 30-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

the 3 valley's - awesome area- you would never cover it all!!!
would also recomend you having a couple of lessons at a local dryslope, just so you get the basics- you'll progess at a much faster rate if you do that!!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 01:50 AM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers guys for the replys again,

Mike