General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Strange starting problem (electrical)

Search this Thread

Old 23-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange starting problem (electrical)

firsty its worth mentioning my car NEVER starts 1st time... i always have to start it, then it dies moments later, then when i restart it its always fine (happens after i leave it for more than a few hours) but this is unrelated methinks...

anyway jumped in the car, started it as per usual, died as per usual, then went to start it again as per usual...

onto the starter and just hear a CLICK and its dead... so think "hmm, try again" then when i put turn the ignition on nothing happens, no dash light no nothing... but then suddenly they come on by emselves... weird...

so i try again, and again just a CLICK then it all goes dead...

i grab me multimeter form the boot, n put it on the battery (so ive given it a few mons) and 12.x volts as per usual... hmm...

so go to try AGAIN... and click... dies... but now when i check the battry its reading only 2.6 volts... but climbing gradually till eventually it hits 12 and the ignition comes back... flat battery i thouht...

anyway went to get a mate to jumpstart me, and when i get back to the car (bout 5 mins later) i try starting her "just incase" and it cranks n starts 1st time, didnt even struggle to crank, it went round on the starter quite quick!

anyway checked battery voltage again and its 13-14v (ie normal for running engine)

weird...

anyway just drove home and all was well so left her outside n i'm gonna see if its ok tomorrow morning...

cant think what it could be?

since its started raining in the past few days its been cranking over slower than usual (not much slower tho) and it did rain quite a bit today...

i noticed that part of the loom looked a bit wet, but nothing you wouldnt expect for a sierra after it rains n water gets in thru the vents...

also im pretty sure the car's got a dodgy earth somewhere as im constantly getting shocks off the doors after i get out, and the lights are playing up...

anyone got any ideas?

the battery was new when i bought the car so only a few months old... its only a cheapy motorfactor one, but i wouldnt expect it to die that quick...
Old 23-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Drifty_Cossy
PassionFord Regular

ever noticed how the rain runs into the bonnet and onto the battery, i bet youve removed the rubber weather strip preventing this happeneing, in a bid to get more power for your weak pound

get a push bike, no silly posts then
Old 23-06-2004, 05:31 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Starter motor bushes
Old 23-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

drifty, battery was bone dry.

nuts, i dont know what these are mate are they something nice n easy to change? i was contemplating changing the starter anyway
Old 23-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

a mate of mine had the same sort of thing happen to his xr2, i spent hours on it to find out what was wrong, everytime i jump start it it was fine but when he would leave it over night the battery was dead by morning, we even fitted a new alternator and battery but still had the same problem. as we couldnt solve it he had taken it to a ford dealer and thay said thay have come accross it before and it was the starter motor draining the power. try another starter motor
Old 23-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

see if you can try a second hand one ?????????
Old 23-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

the starter turns REALLY fast (ive been told this means either the starter is worn or the ring grear are worn... dunno what ring gear is tho... lol)

also ive had a problem twice where the starter continues to turn after i've stopped turning the key... you can take the key out and its still going! this has only happened twice tho, and not recently... got told this was a bad earth on the starter...

any of this helping diagnosis?
Old 23-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the ring gear is on the flywheel take the starter out and you can see the teeth around the outside of the fly wheel, get some one to turn the engine with a spanner on the crankshaft pully bolt as thay do this you should be able to see if any damage is done to the teeth when its turning, dont put your fingers in there.

also yes it is possible for you to have an earth fault on starter take all of them of give them a good clean and put back on i would also do the ones on the body.
Old 23-06-2004, 07:32 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
nuts, i dont know what these are mate are they something nice n easy to change? i was contemplating changing the starter anyway
Change it Jim, thats the easier option.

Otherwise it involves stripping the starter, cleaning it all up (inside) ditching the old brushes around the motor and replacing with new.
Old 23-06-2004, 10:43 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ok i'll get another starter from the scrappy on sat as it'll cost pennies... anyway i can test/overhaul it b4 trying it? as i dont wanna replace a knackered part with another knackered one...

not in the mood to replace it with a brand new one if its not kaput yet...

also had to start the car about 5 times tonite (when the fookin thing's hot it keeps cutting out n wont idle ) and it started fine every time and cranked normal speed
Old 24-06-2004, 06:35 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Fuel pressure dropping overnight too by the sound of it Jim
Old 24-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

nuts yeah i was gonna grab another accumilator at the same time...

however even if i prime the pump a good few times before attempting to start it still wont catch till the 2nd time round (which used to work on my old 2.9 with a leaky Pressure Reg)

also im pretty sure the fuel dizzy and/or metering head are playing up so gotta swap them too...

but thats a seperate issue for a whole new thread
Old 24-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Drifty_Cossy
PassionFord Regular

jim you REALLY shouldnt be near a car