General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

This country never fails to amaze me!

Search this Thread

Old 21-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This country never fails to amaze me!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4112360.stm

Gezz the government wants people to leave their cars and use public transport! Then the train companys complain they are having to many passengers and dont want as many people traveling

Would have thought companys would like more customers and start investing to handle even more etc. But no they just complain and want people to cut down on train usage.

With all this congestion charging soon people will have to live in work as they wont be able to afford to travel to and from there

Whats your views?
Old 21-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

I think everyone should use public transport making it easier for me to drive around

Old 21-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldnt have closed all the fucking railways in the 60s

If they were still as they was we wouldnt be in this feckin mess
Old 21-06-2005, 04:42 PM
chumkila
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I know exactly what you mean Rhys. As someone who uses buses, trains & tubes to get to and from work everyday I have to say that there just isn't any scope for the train companies to improve the services they already have! we just have to live with it.

alternatively we could try and produce those hover-boards from Back to The Future!
Old 21-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no they dont was less customers they weant em to use the trains at different times

oh and charge more money too
Old 21-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

to be fair though if averyone in the contry decided to stop using there cars tomorrow, what would the outcome be. The rail system cant cope as it is, let alone with the extra people that the government want to use it . Buses are full of piss riden old winging farts and the dregs of society. I think i will stick with either my bandit or cossie
Old 21-06-2005, 04:52 PM
MrsFrog
PassionFord Post Troll

Less use of cars..... less petrol to buy.... .more tax then to compensate?
Old 21-06-2005, 04:53 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Not related to transport, but you all know that *they* the government want to ban smoking in public places.

Fair enough I thought, even though I smoke like a trooper...

But I heard on the TV the other day, that the reason for doing it was that they were worried that staff in pubs would sue their employer, or, the govt, FFS, what's this all about, find a GOOD reason for the new law, not some half arsed made up one.

I mean, you start working in a pub, you know what you're in for... Or, could I sue my employer cos I have to sit on my arse all day

Jeez
Old 21-06-2005, 04:54 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Surely this is a good indication that privitisation is a bad idea!
Old 21-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Phil
Jeebus

Public transport is for losers anyway
Old 21-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Surely this is a good indication that privitisation is a bad idea!
Pon normally i would argue the case for privitisation! But in this case i agree with you. There are now to many companys and things take ages to be done. IMO keep it all under one roof and sort it out. More funds would be allocated to problem areas then imo.
Old 21-06-2005, 05:16 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I used to love the idea of privitisation too mate.

Everyone always thought that it coudn't get any worse than British Rail - how wrong they were!

In all honesty, I spent every day going to school on the trains (Mill Hill to Blackfriars), and it was never too bad. A reasonable service overall, but it was the cost that started to make it prohibitive.

I know people who are working "just out of Uni money" jobs in the city, and paying nearly 25% of their salary on travel - that can't be right!
Old 21-06-2005, 05:20 PM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fuk it am going on the DOLE
Old 21-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

pon dont fpget they also pay 60% of there wages just top flat share too

then where back on my parking arguments
Old 21-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Originally Posted by chumkila
I know exactly what you mean Rhys. As someone who uses buses, trains & tubes to get to and from work everyday I have to say that there just isn't any scope for the train companies to improve the services they already have! we just have to live with it.

alternatively we could try and produce those hover-boards from Back to The Future!

no scope for improvement? look at the following companies

Virgin - bought all new rolling stock and increased their services and passanger loading
GNER - renting eurostar trains for cross country work, big increase in passanger loading
First Transpennine Express - having 2 brand new depots built at York and Manchester, AND have just placed an order for 45 brand new trains
Northern Rail - increased services around rural branch lines and increased capacity on local commuter services at peak times.

and then theres other companies that i aint a clue about, but don't tar all TOC's with the same brush as they are all wanting to increase services and capacity, and nearly all of them are doing it as we speak.
Old 21-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

and as for privatisation been a good idea - how wrong they were, some thinkers and calculators from the RMT union have worked out that an initial investment to bring the railways back into government hands would bring better service and cheeper fares and more reliable services within 5 years - and then the government would NOT have to hand out HUGE subsiduraries to tocs to run services as it would all be done in house with none of this competition between service operators as it would all be one company working together and building the railway - this is what darling and ladyman should be doing instead of trying to slap stealth taxes onto car drivers.
Old 21-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

graceland non of them companys have anything to do with london, thats the section with the congestion problem

oh and when ya talk about virgin ect, look at there prices !!!!!!

oh and talking about prices the congestion charge is now offering discounts for people who pay upfront like travel cards

its now going to be 8 quid a day, for what reason they havent said but its gonna be 8 quid anyway, maybe if they admitted its either not made the money they was hoping for and so losing there targets,,,,,,, meaning its working so surely they are getting extra train/busfares to cover it

or are they saying its not high enough to be a way for people to get on a bus rather than a car, meaning it fooking failed

or maybe its casue the price of buses and trains have gone up again that passengers will pay 5 quid anyway but are stuck on 3 changes and unreliable trains that are packed and so are now getting a car as its not far off

that means that the publis transport system is failing !!!!!!!!, why pay more when that aint the issue, improve public transport and people will use the train, people dont use it now as its a fooking nightmare and when it fooks up the passenger gets in trouble at work and gets the lecture about catching the earlier train
Old 21-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

see your point ginge, but leeds is next for the congestion charge - they already got the cameras up and the operations room sorted for it
Old 21-06-2005, 06:09 PM
andyhardy
Advanced PassionFord User

I used to commute from Battle near Hastings to London Bridge every day - the train service was supplied by Connex (I love the fact it had con in the name! ).

Everyone on the train cheered the day that Connex got kicked off the contract but were less happy about it when they found out exactly why Connex were kicked out...

rather than being kicked out for providing a purely shite service with trains often being cancelled at the last minute despite being the only available service etc. it was because the company that own Connex were filtering UK government money into the French subsidiaries of the company! Us tax payers were funding the French train services!

Gotta love Britain - it's going places
Old 21-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

well im not worried about leeds, could cut it out and make it a island for all i cared

london concerns me and so i wanna move a better location where i wont be legally robbed before i get the cash that ive worked 60 hours a week for
Old 21-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by b19bal
graceland non of them companys have anything to do with london, thats the section with the congestion problem

:
Its not just London Ginge, but the problem is the same for a number of cities around the UK.
Old 21-06-2005, 07:13 PM
JBcos
PassionFord Post Troll

i think we should all go on the dole and stay home

the monies not great but the hours are fantastic
Old 21-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Its not just London Ginge, but the problem is the same for a number of cities around the UK
what charging more at peak times to use transport

ive only heard london mentioned

OT : weird as listen to the radio all day but now im driving i pay attention to whats being said , does that mean im not concentrating as i forgot a route i done today, , also if it means i can learn when driving should i buy some learn to speak french tapes , anythings better than me singing along to all the songs that come on in the van as in traffic i get some funny looks
Old 21-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

the monies not great but the hours are fantastic
well the money is fine if ya renting private !!!!!

theres loads of people round here on it, i think its gona be part of the GCSE next year
Old 21-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

No Ginge it is not just London, but other places that are affected too They are saying the train overcrowding is happening in a number of different cities.
Old 21-06-2005, 07:23 PM
nic79
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

As if we don't pay enough for the trains as it is
Old 21-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

well tbh im not bothered about other cities either as i dont use the train so im mght vote in favour just like all them non driving wankers who aint affected by resident parking as they dont fucking own a car so have no fucking right voting for or against !!!!!

infact everytime i see that tosser i pull a leaf off his tree
Old 21-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Katie

Got to agree 100% Rhys

They shuffle us around like cattle then moan when, god forbid, we actually take notice of what they say....every few months you have an alternating crisis on private/public transport....

Public transport....buses especially, are too indirect....yes because not enough people use it, but that's due to the time and cost involved...it's cheaper to hop in the car. Vicious circle.

ahwell....we'll all have to dust off the horse + carts and see if we can clog up the roads with them
Old 21-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by b19bal
well tbh im not bothered about other cities either as i dont use the train so im mght vote in favour just like all them non driving wankers who aint affected by resident parking as they dont fucking own a car so have no fucking right voting for or against !!!!!

infact everytime i see that tosser i pull a leaf off his tree
Ginge its talk like that, which why things are in the state it is! Sometimes people need to see a bigger picture than just the little world that revolves around their own intrests imo.

Katie, It does my head in i mean look at Cardiff! That station sooooooo needs to be upgraded with more lines etc as it just cant cope any more! Everything is being built new in Cardiff atm apart from its transport system

Same goes proberly around the country
Old 21-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Katie

Exactly....it's great there but you can't get in or out....lol...
and if you dare park in there it'll cost you a weeks wages anywhere bar sophia gardens lol
It's not really a day out when you're running from place to place because you haven't got a big enough loan to pay for the parking ticket

They give us a city centre capable of accomodating 250k people at events like the Wales v Ireland match....but they don't bother to think about how all these people are going to get home again....cue tailbacks from the ely link road to Magor!
Old 21-06-2005, 08:04 PM
chumkila
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Graceland i was talking more about those companies around the SE & London i.e. the trains i use.
Old 22-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I must say I pissed myself when I heard this on the news.