General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

XR4 ti engines - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 06:11 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default XR4 ti engines - any good?

the 2.3. i have heard reports from the states that some people are getting massive power out of them. is that with a lot of internal mods?

what is a brand new one (complete with all manifolds, turbo, dizzy, flywheel, everything) worth? would you give 500 for one? would make a good project for an old skool cortina or granada or something i would've thought
Old 08-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Rene
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey nick hows it comming along mate?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it come with loom/managment?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Sure them pesky yankys will be able to tell you mate
Old 08-05-2005, 06:54 PM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Default Re: XR4 ti engines - any good?

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
the 2.3. i have heard reports from the states that some people are getting massive power out of them. is that with a lot of internal mods?

what is a brand new one (complete with all manifolds, turbo, dizzy, flywheel, everything) worth? would you give 500 for one? would make a good project for an old skool cortina or granada or something i would've thought
It depends on what type of power you are looking for, and how much work you want to do. Stand alone ECU? the XR4Ti/Mustang SVO/Thunderbird Turbo coupe all share the same engine, but the SVO and T.C both came with IC's and the XR didn't.
My tuner's XR with a standard block and his own custom head with other mods was producing 396hp at the wheels, Now he has 623@ the wheels. (with 2.5 stroked block, his custom head and other mods) everything minus his porting and custom intake and Ex manifold is basically off the shelf stuff.

so a standard 2.3 turbo engine from the above mentioned cars can produce the big power. Taryn's car is almost done and when broken in will get dynoed to see what it does.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Here you go, I had to look for my old post...can't even copy and paste the topic.

Here you go dude,

87 Merkur XR4Ti Work done by Phil Marshall (PM Motorsports)

Engine Specs:
2.5 stroked block, Crower 5.5 rods, Wiesco Piston 8:1 .30 over,
Total seal rings.
PM stage 3 8V Head fully ported and polished, 527 lift cam, 1.9 Intake valve 1.60 exhaust valve, mechanical lifters,
triple valve springs, mouse traps for the vales spring. Race Engineering adj cam pulley
Custom PM intake with 80mm throttle body, 95lb injector,
Aeromotive fuel pressure Reg. K&N filter
Custom PM exhaust manifold, T-72 turbo
Tial BOV and 46mm External WG
3 1/2 inch downpipe to 4 inch dual exhaust
Haltec engine management
Mustang Intank fuel pump
Aeromotive external fuel pump
Standard T5 with race clutch
modified drive shaft
BMW rear with 4.10 gears
623.5 Wheel Horse power
425.7 ft lbs torque
11 sec 1/4 with slipping clutch @ 137mph.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Moose 130
Advanced PassionFord User

Acording to an old copy of Car Craft or Hot Rod a guy called Joe Morgan (sure that's his name) has achieved over 1000hp (US Hp ) from one.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Moose 130
Advanced PassionFord User

Also heard they can be converted to 16v using a Volvo head.

Not sure if that's true or not!
Old 08-05-2005, 08:29 PM
SeanT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I just love the way that the engine is so old it doesn't have mousetrap springs on the retainers as standard (pintos do!!!) and yet it can make stoooooopid amounts f power - properly built 8 valves rock
Old 08-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Rene
PassionFord Post Whore!!

how long is that going to hold eric? until she is ran in?
Old 09-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Originally Posted by Moose 130
Acording to an old copy of Car Craft or Hot Rod a guy called Joe Morgan (sure that's his name) has achieved over 1000hp (US Hp ) from one.
Yeah that's "Turbo" Joe Morgan, Works close with Esslinger (Where Taryn got her ally head from) lol at the (US HP) which means at the wheels, I don't know how much HP he's running though and I think he was using/is using a different Ally head (ours comes with a Iron one lol)

Originally Posted by Moose 130
Also heard they can be converted to 16v using a Volvo head.
Not sure if that's true or not!
Yes they can be Phil (PM Motorsports) again was one of the first to succesfully make the conversion. Here's some pictures of 2 cars he's done.

And Taryn "testing" out the 16v XR. lol

Originally Posted by SeanT
I just love the way that the engine is so old it doesn't have mousetrap springs on the retainers as standard (pintos do!!!) and yet it can make stoooooopid amounts f power - properly built 8 valves rock
Not true, the big HP ones use Moustraps

Originally Posted by Rene
how long is that going to hold eric? until she is ran in?
Don't know Rene, Phil is running 11.00 with a standard US T5 and race clutch, although I do know he's going to start using a tremec soon.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:55 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

thanks for the replies so far guys.

it doesn't come with ecu, but could easily be converted to run cossie management i imagine by fitting cossie crank pulley and dizzy (or other phase sensor) and then my S8 ecu would run it no problems.

eric, but what about std pistons, rods and crank? and std valves? what are they made of? and what is the standard turbo?

how much boost/power do they make as standard in the SVO? i'd be looking for something like a reliable 300 bhp at the flywheel, but only on std parts. i wouldn't want to change anything on the bottom end.

would a 2wd cossie clutch fit, and the 2wd cossie t5 bolt straight up on the belhousing?

a lot of questions, i know - hope someone is interested enough to answer. still want to know if a new one is worth 500 quid? i would say that if all 2wd cossie clutch and gearbox fit, and 300 bhp can be had easily on std parts with a good intercooler and 4 x 803's i'd say that it's got to be?

Rene, hi mate the blue cossie we bought off dave still isn't finished. my mates are useless slackers, so it's down to me to babysit them through the rebuild. should be running by the end of tonight though. we then have to get tuv, and get it registered. hope to get that done before the weekend of 21st/22nd. will you be attending the 'ring that weekend?
Old 09-05-2005, 06:14 AM
SeanT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Fastmaul
Originally Posted by SeanT
Not true, the big HP ones use Moustraps
Old 09-05-2005, 02:18 PM
turboxr
Part of the Furniture

eric, but what about std pistons, rods and crank? and std valves? what are they made of? and what is the standard turbo?
Pistons are forged the rest is standard stuff 8:1 comp. and the turbo is either a T3 or an IHI from the late thunderbirds.

how much boost/power do they make as standard in the SVO? i'd be looking for something like a reliable 300 bhp at the flywheel, but only on std parts. i wouldn't want to change anything on the bottom end.
Boost on the SVOs was around 14 (Erik correct me if I'm wrong) and power for the later 86 model was well over 200. I've seen completely stock block 2.3s make 400bhp. You wouldn't really have to change anything on the block to make 300- it would be super easy.

would a 2wd cossie clutch fit, and the 2wd cossie t5 bolt straight up on the belhousing?
Bellhousing would have to be an SVO or early Thunderbird TC unit (or any 2.3 mustang for that matter) But if it's a T5 it should bolt up (not sure if the input shaft is the same however)

a lot of questions, i know - hope someone is interested enough to answer. still want to know if a new one is worth 500 quid? i would say that if all 2wd cossie clutch and gearbox fit, and 300 bhp can be had easily on std parts with a good intercooler and 4 x 803's i'd say that it's got to be?
Yes, 500 quid for EVERYTHING would be a great deal- providing everything is in good working order. 300 @ the flywheel will be no problem with the right tuning.

Hope some of this helped. Erik can chime in with anything I may have left out. (hey, I can get ya parts if ya wanna trade for some cossie sturf )
Old 09-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Rene
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
Rene, hi mate the blue cossie we bought off dave still isn't finished. my mates are useless slackers, so it's down to me to babysit them through the rebuild. should be running by the end of tonight though. we then have to get tuv, and get it registered. hope to get that done before the weekend of 21st/22nd. will you be attending the 'ring that weekend?
I havent made my mind up but i dont think so as i am getting the keys to our house on the 18th and there is loads of work to be done
Old 10-05-2005, 02:47 AM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Joe or TurboXR LOL pretty much answered the questions.

300hp at the flywheels??my car was very close to that and I spent less than 2k US!! try 300hp AT Wheels..
standard block internals see's it's limit at about 400hp +/-(again at the wheels)
I don't know or think that the Cossie engine mgmnt would fit, or be worth doing. Also we don't use color injectors, but lbs per hour..

Here's your recipe for 300hp

fully ported and polished big valve head
RS500 type IC, custom log intake, T3/4 turbo
20psi boost, 3inch exhaust..little things here and there and yo have it.
All the power for these cars come from the head, that's where the magic is at lol.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:39 AM
turboxr
Part of the Furniture

Old 10-05-2005, 06:24 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

thanks a lot for the information guys. unfortunately i'm going to have to pass on it. i've got too many things on the go already, and am moving back to england in september / october time, so it would just be a pain in the ass to have to bring an engine back too.

i'm a bit dissappointed, but that's life.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:35 PM
turboxr
Part of the Furniture

Nuts!