General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Sapph prices!

Search this Thread

Old 14-11-2021, 10:18 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotrev
Just going by what you said, if it’s all coming apart you was talking about upgrading the block anyway? Unless that’s not happening now and your gonna stick with the old block whatever the inspection shows?

A new block is gonna be 5k without all the labour to rebuild it so either way 5k plus to me on a 30k car is big money

Cheers Paul
I wanted a new block but s and j can't supply one til late next year, I would of then sold mine to recoupe some money but can't get one so going to try and reuse mine, hopefully we can see what's caused failure and sort it.
I don't think £5k is a big deal really, if I didn't accept bills like that I wouldnt even consider owning a 700+ hp cossie, they are a ticking timebomb, once over 300 hp per litre those cylinder pressures are getting very high imo

​​​​​​ITS also worth alot more than £30k now that's for sure, be it as a whole car or in parts, not that I'd break it but the money's there one way or anotherIt's a big money car, just the turbo and inlet alone was £5k, dry sump all done again not a cheap job at all, these cars need deep pockets to own and run them or best not to tune one so high imo

I'm very happy I bought it, just want it finished, but I'm glad it happened while setting up TC and not while I was driving home in it, that would of been far worse 🤣😂

Last edited by scoooby slayer; 14-11-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 15-11-2021, 05:51 AM
jcarpenter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
I wanted a new block but s and j can't supply one til late next year, I would of then sold mine to recoupe some money but can't get one so going to try and reuse mine, hopefully we can see what's caused failure and sort it.
I don't think £5k is a big deal really, if I didn't accept bills like that I wouldnt even consider owning a 700+ hp cossie, they are a ticking timebomb, once over 300 hp per litre those cylinder pressures are getting very high imo

​​​​​​ITS also worth alot more than £30k now that's for sure, be it as a whole car or in parts, not that I'd break it but the money's there one way or anotherIt's a big money car, just the turbo and inlet alone was £5k, dry sump all done again not a cheap job at all, these cars need deep pockets to own and run them or best not to tune one so high imo

I'm very happy I bought it, just want it finished, but I'm glad it happened while setting up TC and not while I was driving home in it, that would of been far worse 🤣😂
I do have a question for you, only asking because of a previous build, would you get to a point where enough is enough? enough money been chucked at it? i understand when your doing high power builds money is unreal, I was building a time attack vxr 3 years ago, i got to 20k and i pulled the plug, my balls wasn't big enough to continue and i lost thousands on it. .

Now builing a st tdci mondeo to over 500flbt.

I can't really comment on building immense power cars, as i have no exsperience in that sense, but when i seen rod building this, all i seen was hours poored into it and, rip he passed away and never got to enjoy it?

Is there gonna be a poiunt where you feel F££k this this is enough and just drive it? you have alot more patience than me thats for sure
Old 15-11-2021, 07:21 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by jcarpenter
I do have a question for you, only asking because of a previous build, would you get to a point where enough is enough? enough money been chucked at it? i understand when your doing high power builds money is unreal, I was building a time attack vxr 3 years ago, i got to 20k and i pulled the plug, my balls wasn't big enough to continue and i lost thousands on it. .

I can't really comment on building immense power cars, as i have no exsperience in that sense, but when i seen rod building this, all i seen was hours poored into it and, rip he passed away and never got to enjoy it?

Is there gonna be a poiunt where you feel F££k this this is enough and just drive it? you have alot more patience than me thats for sure

Of coarse rod enjoyed it look at all the things he did in the car, it was his road car and his event car, building a car like that is no easy task

Just remember aswell the build isn't a brand new Smith and Jones engine, and if it was the car would of been a lot more money than I paid for it, and I mean alot more.

Smith and Jones block and head £11k
Turbo and inlet £5k
Exhaust manifold inconel £3k
Dry sump £2k
Stroker kit £5k
Intercooler, radiator and turbo cooler £2k
Cams, gaskets, pipework, oil pump and anc £2k

Thats a guide price from a quick look around at prices, I'm sure if a new engine was built will all new parts like above it would be £30k plus just for the engine

I am getting a little impatient but I have lots of other cars to use, my gtr is my main big power car, but been such a busy year with work not had any chance to go Santa pod at all this year

But you can't just say fuck this and drive it because it's not ready, remember I bought the car unfinished and I specifically said to mark I want it finished before I pick it up, I have zero time for building/fixing cars anymore.
well I did fix gtr split intake myself but major repairs and building I will just have tuners do now as just don't have time to be messing with cars anymore

Last edited by scoooby slayer; 15-11-2021 at 07:26 AM.
Old 15-11-2021, 07:41 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 396 Likes on 360 Posts

Of coarse rod enjoyed it look at all the things he did in the car, it was his road car and his event car, building a car like that is no easy task

Just remember aswell the build isn't a brand new Smith and Jones engine, and if it was the car would of been a lot more money than I paid for it, and I mean alot more.

Smith and Jones block and head £11k
Turbo and inlet £5k
Exhaust manifold inconel £3k
Dry sump £2k
Stroker kit £5k
Intercooler, radiator and turbo cooler £2k
Cams, gaskets, pipework, oil pump and anc £2k

Thats a guide price from a quick look around at prices, I'm sure if a new engine was built will all new parts like above it would be £30k plus just for the engine

I am getting a little impatient but I have lots of other cars to use, my gtr is my main big power car, but been such a busy year with work not had any chance to go Santa pod at all this year

But you can't just say fuck this and drive it because it's not ready, remember I bought the car unfinished and I specifically said to mark I want it finished before I pick it up, I have zero time for building/fixing cars anymore.
well I did fix gtr split intake myself but major repairs and building I will just have tuners do now as just don't have time to be messing with cars anymore
At the end of the day you obviously work hard to earn your money and how and what you spend it on is your choice. As you have said a massive power Sapphire Cosworth like Rod's is going to have to have a lot of money spent on it, but that is what you have to expect and if someone has not got the funds available to do it properly, walk away and do something else to suit your lower budget.You will get it finished and it will no doubt give you a lot of fun in the future!!
Old 15-11-2021, 08:28 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cossynut2
At the end of the day you obviously work hard to earn your money and how and what you spend it on is your choice. As you have said a massive power Sapphire Cosworth like Rod's is going to have to have a lot of money spent on it, but that is what you have to expect and if someone has not got the funds available to do it properly, walk away and do something else to suit your lower budget.You will get it finished and it will no doubt give you a lot of fun in the future!!
You are spot on mate I'm very much like rod in how you get your house in order first before spending more than I could afford on a car when I was younger.
20 years ago It was what I wanted but on £20k a year and a mortgage to pay I couldn't afford it so I didn't have it, I can afford it now so I've got one, the one I wanted so bad all those years ago I had to have it 😁👍
Always live within ones means 👍👍My dad used to say to me if you can't afford to buy it twice over in cash then you can't afford it son, he was right and that has stayed with me all my life

I'd love a Bugatti Chiron but can't afford one 😂🤣
So il have to settle for a gtr that has same power 😁😁
Old 15-11-2021, 09:42 AM
turbotrev
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jcarpenter

When you have so much money it’s not a problem so you’d never pull the plug (like Karl),

For some where money is a bit more precious I know loads have got to that point where enough is enough and the money being spent outweighs the joys your gonna get back from the project.

Like Karl said he’s not even had time to get to pod to use the drag car, others wouldn’t/couldn’t spend that kinda money on a car to not use.
Even if I had the money (which I don’t) I wouldn’t buy something I’m not gonna use, I don’t see the point 🤷🏻‍♂️
Others can do that as it makes no difference to them financially so it’s really all about the individuals financial situation and what they are will to put money into.
Karl has multiple cars so waiting 3 years for a car makes no difference to him like he said.

It’s all about how deep your pockets are, like most things in life, that’s all

Cheers Paul

Last edited by turbotrev; 15-11-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 15-11-2021, 10:30 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

When you have so much money it’s not a problem so you’d never pull the plug (like Karl),

For some where money is a bit more precious I know loads have got to that point where enough is enough and the money being spent outweighs the joys your gonna get back from the project.

Like Karl said he’s not even had time to get to pod to use the drag car, others wouldn’t/couldn’t spend that kinda money on a car to not use.
Even if I had the money (which I don’t) I wouldn’t buy something I’m not gonna use, I don’t see the point 🤷🏻‍♂️
Others can do that as it makes no difference to them financially so it’s really all about the individuals financial situation and what they are will to put money into.
Karl has multiple cars so waiting 3 years for a car makes no difference to him like he said.

It’s all about how deep your pockets are, like most things in life, that’s all

Cheers Paul
The gtr Paul was a gift at what I paid for it, it's worth alot more than I paid for it so I couldn't not buy it
Was hopeing to be at santa pod this year again as I really do enjoy it but work comes first that's how I've got to the point i can afford these cars 👍
On a side note hasn't your cossie been off the road a while now as your having new engine etc or is it still on the road and your just building another engine for it ?
Old 15-11-2021, 10:50 AM
turbotrev

The gtr Paul was a gift at what I paid for it, it's worth alot more than I paid for it so I couldn't not buy it
Was hopeing to be at santa pod this year again as I really do enjoy it but work comes first that's how I've got to the point i can afford these cars 👍
On a side note hasn't your cossie been off the road a while now as your having new engine etc or is it still on the road and your just building another engine for it ?
No need to explain Karl, I totally understand your position 👍🏻
Like I said it’s all about everyone’s individual financial situation 👍🏻

My car has been off the road just over 3 years now.

I sold all the old engine and other parts I won’t be needing to help fund the new engine.

I’ve had the new engine sat in my house for the past 18 months.

Cheers Paul

Old 15-11-2021, 11:27 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

No need to explain Karl, I totally understand your position 👍🏻
Like I said it’s all about everyone’s individual financial situation 👍🏻

My car has been off the road just over 3 years now.

I sold all the old engine and other parts I won’t be needing to help fund the new engine.

I’ve had the new engine sat in my house for the past 18 months.

Cheers Paul
Are you all set now then Paul just got to assemble it or more parts needed ?
Smith and Jones on the cards for me at some point I want one 😁😁
Old 15-11-2021, 01:28 PM
turbotrev

I still need a few more expensive key components then I need to set some time to start putting it all together.

I want to do as much of it as I can before it’s goes back to NMS

Cheers Paul
Old 15-11-2021, 02:14 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

I still need a few more expensive key components then I need to set some time to start putting it all together.

I want to do as much of it as I can before it’s goes back to NMS

Cheers Paul
You get bored of them as well lol. I was really looking forward to putting mine together but everything single thing has been a cunt. It’s left me a little disheartened with it really. I’ve problems with the clutch disengaging as well. I want to just forget about mine now till next year. Hopefully I can get mine up to m.a.d before Christmas and he can take a look at it and get a running in map on it. Why did we ever get into old cars lol
Old 15-11-2021, 03:28 PM
turbotrev

Originally Posted by ajamesc
You get bored of them as well lol. I was really looking forward to putting mine together but everything single thing has been a cunt. It’s left me a little disheartened with it really. I’ve problems with the clutch disengaging as well. I want to just forget about mine now till next year. Hopefully I can get mine up to m.a.d before Christmas and he can take a look at it and get a running in map on it. Why did we ever get into old cars lol
Ive not got bored of it as such, and as you say I know nothings gonna be simple either but the last three years for me have been tough, covid, family issues, moving house, none of that has been straight forward.
Down sizing to a smaller garage is my main problem for being able to work on the car.

Next year will be easier and I’ll start trying to make some progress.
I was also worried about restoring the car to a mint condition as I did the rebuild but I dont care about that now, I just want it running! 😂

Cheers Paul
Old 15-11-2021, 03:41 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Yeah running is a big step forward. I totally under estimated mine. When a cars been stood for so long 1 job turns into 2 jobs then you notice something else doing them as well. I’ve just restored my drive shafts even that was a twat as some of the Allen Key bolts wouldn’t come out. I had to hack saw the heads off lol. Mine starts stops and I’ve very few jobs left to do and a couple of things I need mark to do. Mine will be back next year. At the moment it sits in the corner of the un used workshop at work covered in dust looking sorry for its self.

Last edited by ajamesc; 15-11-2021 at 03:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
turbotrev (15-11-2021)
Old 15-11-2021, 05:12 PM
turbotrev

That’s how mines looks, has no running gear in it at all, but the garage is packed with a lot more stuff now 🙈
Gonna clear everything out except the car over Xmas and get cracking on it next year

Cheers Paul
ajamesc (15-11-2021)
Old 15-11-2021, 08:09 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

am i the only person to finish his saff after 10 years
Old 15-11-2021, 09:01 PM
Tim Wharton
Part of the Furniture

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had mine 15 years now and as you can see i have gone a bit ott with the rebuild. This ones a K plate 4x4 and is just in need of the engine rebuild and finishing off . I retire next year so should have time to get it finished. I had a 2wd one too which I unfortunately crashes and sold to James. She has only done 39000 so should be worth a bit not that I will be selling it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tim Wharton:
Mark V8 (16-11-2021), Mr_Simpson (16-11-2021)
Old 15-11-2021, 09:02 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by james kiely
I must remember to come back to this thread in 7 years hopefully I've got car by then 😂🤣
Old 16-11-2021, 07:28 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Originally Posted by james kiely
Mines been about 7/8 I think lol but I did take 3 out to buy and do up my house then save money again. Mines 90% done now so will be mot’ed early next year
Old 16-11-2021, 01:09 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Tim Wharton

I've had mine 15 years now and as you can see i have gone a bit ott with the rebuild. This ones a K plate 4x4 and is just in need of the engine rebuild and finishing off . I retire next year so should have time to get it finished. I had a 2wd one too which I unfortunately crashes and sold to James. She has only done 39000 so should be worth a bit not that I will be selling it.
That has got to be the cleanest Saff in existence!!!!! What are your plans for it? Concourse events etc?
Old 17-11-2021, 06:08 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

mines just ready to use as and when. I just dont get the time to use it much these days.
ajamesc (17-11-2021)
Old 17-11-2021, 06:22 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Really proud of getting my saph in FastFord mag a few years ago. Just goes to show a normal person(well sort of normal lol)like me who doesn't have much money can get there car featured.
ajamesc (17-11-2021)
Old 17-11-2021, 08:10 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Nice one Glenn!! I keep wondering if my old Saff might be of interest to one of the Ford Mags?
Old 17-11-2021, 11:39 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Email Jamie at FastFord and see what he says.