General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cosworth gearbox options

Search this Thread

Old 22-04-2023, 08:30 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

i would imagine the yb market would be pretty small for these guys to invest time and money into making a kit tbh Stevie.I will be running 500bhp and i wouldn't call myself hard on gearboxes or diffs so either option would be good .

your car on the other hand could be a different story
Old 05-07-2023, 09:44 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

I did the first YB DCT in the world in 2020 and I took the risk on the fact that it was cheaper to test out than buying the Samsonas that would give me the sequential shift.
The reasons I chose the DCT: I had previous experience with full autos and it was never good. The DCT is a electro-mechanical and was proven in std form at over 1000nm.
I knew nothing about the ZF HP series at the time. Having driven the Getrag 7 speed DCT in the BMW I was convinced and bought one during covid for a very good price.
At the time, the method was to wire the external ecu to manage the gearbox solenoids, temp sensors and speed sensors directly.
I developed that adapter you have pictured, quite a funny story, I designed the product, did the CAD, proved it out before contracting Adamat to manufacture my prototype. On receiving it I knew I had to finish it (never send out a final product without an NDA in place), a few final operations but there is also an error I needed to correct in some dimensional issues.
A year or so later I am getting emails from people saying they have bought an adapter and it doesn't fit, Adam told me to contact you, F*cking cheek!!!
Guess what, tough sh*t, your problem. I would not sell them despite being asked until I have made a few to prove them out, but no, people though they could do better lol.

So fast forward, I knew I was fully in development both with the ECU and the product, various growth in the SW development from the company I chose, plus others now sees some options for using factory TCU and no wiring changes to the box and closed loop learning strategies.

Now, 2023, I know loads about the ZF HP series (I do a lot of work with ZF) and the 8HP units are used a lot more widely than the Getrag thus more units/variants and cheaper options are around.

Typically Getrags are now upwards of £1500 but will do over 1000Nm in std form, ZF8HP comes in 450nm, 500nm, 550nm, 750nm, 950nm depends where you are in the world with lots of bellhousing configurations.

If I was to do another of these it would 100% be an 8hp series, the cases are smaller, a little bit lighter and cheaper.

Many ECU options around now, I am more than happy with my choice and have zero issues with it. What I would say is the conversion is not for the hobbyist, you need some skills and knowledge way wider than a Cosworth YB engine.
If you get the engine ecu wrong you melt pistons, if you get the driveline ecu wrong you go through the nearest wall (substitute as you feel).
The following 2 users liked this post by markk:
dinga (25-11-2023), james kiely (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 10:55 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

I'm looking into the zf 8hp out of the bmw mark .my escos is only a road car but want the convenience of an auto or paddles as I really can't be arsed with horrible clutches anymore due to arthritis in my left foot and modernizing the drive a bit

i am sending a flywheel to Domiworks in Sweden tomorrow so he can take measurements .he has the mt75 file already on his systems.

i have a vipec ecu but will be changing to either a motec mt130 or a max ecu and will go with the cantcu as the gearbox controller as its probably the easiest route as it uses the original bmw settings

the motec and max ecu also have traction control and dbw

and to add another bit of bolloxology im looking at converting my brake system to e46 mk60 dsc/abs as the old cossie ones are just unreliable and hard to obtain parts for

im also removing the whole car wiring loom and replacing with a aim 32pdm and 10 inch screen

Last edited by james kiely; 06-07-2023 at 11:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cossie2 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 10:55 AM
cossie2
Regular Contributor

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

With this BMW gearbox kit mod car will be rear wheel drive?
Old 07-07-2023, 12:05 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by cossie2
With this BMW gearbox kit mod car will be rear wheel drive?

yes mate ,it will be 2wd

their is a maseraiti and alfa 8hp with the transfer case on the same side as the osworth front diff ,but their doesnt seem to be a lot of information by the tcu guys so im gonna compromise on the 4wd system

its one of the reasons im gonna try using the bmw dsc system with the abs

the car will only be a summer show car so their wont be any gravel events where i need 4wd
Old 07-07-2023, 12:12 PM
cossie2
Regular Contributor

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for reply James..i was also looking into the box options after lots variations which i had...Quaife,Baccio romano and Fixit and all failed,,few times..,just recently repaired one,,,This option seems smart,thanks for info
Old 07-07-2023, 12:29 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

when i bought my escos it had the Opplinger big tooth box in it with a triple plate ttv clutch .it was undrivable/horrible so i never used it .my engine is good for 600 plus bhp

i looked at the adamat dct conversion plate but their seemed to be a bit of a problem with the sprung hub coming loose on 4 cylinders so started to look at the 8 hp
cossie2 (08-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 02:02 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

CANTCU AFAIK requires specific gearboxes, not just any 8HP, so be sure about that first.

Turbo Lamik I think is a CAN based controller that also runs the box without wiring modifications from what I gather, which is a very popular choice.

HTG that Mark uses, you must re-wire the box internals. That has some pros, and many obvious cons. Some people seem to love the HTG controller....some hate it.

DCT would still be a very viable option for you, especially if using MaxxECU, as it can directly run the box without any other nonsense. I don't believe they can do the 8HP like that yet.

8HP's are just available everywhere and quite cheaply. And must admit I'd prefer a torque converter auto like that myself if doing such a swap. I'd love to, I'm just not convinced any of them would be strong enough for me to take the risk.

Motec.....don't like that M1 platform at all.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:05 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by james kiely
when i bought my escos it had the Opplinger big tooth box in it with a triple plate ttv clutch .it was undrivable/horrible so i never used it .my engine is good for 600 plus bhp

i looked at the adamat dct conversion plate but their seemed to be a bit of a problem with the sprung hub coming loose on 4 cylinders so started to look at the 8 hp
Far too many people use clutches, especially multiplate with paddle type discs, when really organic is the way to go. And too many also try and go far too small diameter. Totally the wrong way to go for anything road driven

I'm sure TTV can do a std diameter twin plate organic that could easily hold the power, if not a triple ?

Everyone says paddle discs drive ok....and some are just "ok".....but when you go back to back between an organic, paddle in the same car. You truly realise how none of the paddle disc setups ever drive anything like an organic setup. You just make excuses to make yourself think they do. They absolutely do not !
Old 07-07-2023, 02:09 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Time has moved on, transmission has moved on. These boxes are over 70% OE fitment, manual gearbox production is on the decline.
My advice, go 8HP, how you choose to drive it is up to you and your ability.
Same as anything, the more variables the more difficult things appear to achieve harmony on your product.
Trust me, I work in an OEM, our user interfaces look nothing like Maxx ecu, or motec or any of the after market stuff.
cossie2 (08-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 06:17 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
CANTCU AFAIK requires specific gearboxes, not just any 8HP, so be sure about that first.

cheers stevie i will make sure i get the right one .i think with ca tcu you donrt have to go near the mechatronics like you do with htg and turbolamik

Turbo Lamik I think is a CAN based controller that also runs the box without wiring modifications from what I gather, which is a very popular choice.

HTG that Mark uses, you must re-wire the box internals. That has some pros, and many obvious cons. Some people seem to love the HTG controller....some hate it.

DCT would still be a very viable option for you, especially if using MaxxECU, as it can directly run the box without any other nonsense. I don't believe they can do the 8HP like that yet.

8HP's are just available everywhere and quite cheaply. And must admit I'd prefer a torque converter auto like that myself if doing such a swap. I'd love to, I'm just not convinced any of them would be strong enough for me to take the risk.

the availability of the 8hp is the winner here stevie and the 8sp auto is a big seller to me for a tootle about

Motec.....don't like that M1 platform at all.
hmm in curious on your view on the motec .the reason i was looking at it was its traction control feature and people say motec is the best ,but i wouldnt have any where near your knowledge on these things

Old 07-07-2023, 06:21 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Far too many people use clutches, especially multiplate with paddle type discs, when really organic is the way to go. And too many also try and go far too small diameter. Totally the wrong way to go for anything road driven

I'm sure TTV can do a std diameter twin plate organic that could easily hold the power, if not a triple ?

Everyone says paddle discs drive ok....and some are just "ok".....but when you go back to back between an organic, paddle in the same car. You truly realise how none of the paddle disc setups ever drive anything like an organic setup. You just make excuses to make yourself think they do. They absolutely do not !

im sure your spot on with this stevie ,but that ship has sailed for me now lol.torque converter all the way .

i see some people saying to go with the diesel converter but these dont really suit big turbos .have you any advice on this ?

at the end of the day i just want a nice driving car
Old 07-07-2023, 06:24 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by markk
Time has moved on, transmission has moved on. These boxes are over 70% OE fitment, manual gearbox production is on the decline.
My advice, go 8HP, how you choose to drive it is up to you and your ability.
Same as anything, the more variables the more difficult things appear to achieve harmony on your product.
Trust me, I work in an OEM, our user interfaces look nothing like Maxx ecu, Motec, or any of the after-market stuff.

what would your preference be on a road car between the tcu manufacturers mark ?

like wise with the engine ecus? .f

rom what i understand its a torque-based map that's needed for the best results
Old 07-07-2023, 06:26 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

I would think with the more revvy nature of smaller engines, a diesel converter seems like an odd choice.

But I know little about them or how much you can control them, or mess with them for these swaps

james kiely (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 06:33 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

what would your preference be on a road car between the tcu manufacturers mark ?

Diesel torque converter does not suit revvy petrol engines.

Yes they need to be torque controlled and closed loop. I first converted mine with just rpm\tps based open loop but it was not good enough for a road car.
Now I'm on a torque model closed loop.
If you need to change engine ecu find one that is already integrated and proven with a gearbox ECU. Can still be external to the engine ecu, just find one that all the integration work has been proven out or you will soon get fed up of getting to the point of acceptable operation.
I can't comment for any other controller other that HTG GCU.
Old 07-07-2023, 06:33 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Simple, use whatever your tuner can give you the best result with.

Doesn't matter what anyone else says or does......your tuner needs to be happy with it.

One might say the software is truly horrific...others might think it is great. I'd say in most cases the hardware on most ecu's these days is pretty good, but how they interact with the user, the level of control etc just varies massively.
Some ecu's might claim the same features, how they end up in the real world, can be vastly different

Another I can add to the list as shit, is AEM Infinity....I recently bought a car with one, and whilst it is not as bad as other ecu's based around a similar source, it is just crap. But it'll do for a short time until I can get space in the garage to rewire for a Syvecs.

And as Mark says....gearbox controllers just add another minefield to that, plus they then have to interact with the engine control ecu too, another minefield lol

From my searches, the Turbo Lamik seems to have the most people saying they just plugged it in, did basic setup and they were driving away. I like that scenario.
Old 07-07-2023, 06:42 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Simple, use whatever your tuner can give you the best result with.

Doesn't matter what anyone else says or does......your tuner needs to be happy with it.

One might say the software is truly horrific...others might think it is great. I'd say in most cases the hardware on most ecu's these days is pretty good, but how they interact with the user, the level of control etc just varies massively.
Some ecu's might claim the same features, how they end up in the real world, can be vastly different

Another I can add to the list as shit, is AEM Infinity....I recently bought a car with one, and whilst it is not as bad as other ecu's based around a similar source, it is just crap. But it'll do for a short time until I can get space in the garage to rewire for a Syvecs.

And as Mark says....gearbox controllers just add another minefield to that, plus they then have to interact with the engine control ecu too, another minefield lol

From my searches, the Turbo Lamik seems to have the most people saying they just plugged it in, did basic setup and they were driving away. I like that scenario.
TL still needs changes to run the box directly I believe. Not just plug and play.
Cantcu is plug and play I think lol

Problem is there are not many people used to tuning transmission. Most tuners I have met struggle to setup a functional bus network.
Old 07-07-2023, 06:42 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

cheers stevie

its a minefield really when it comes to a tuner in Ireland,as we don't have a lot of choices i suppose but it will be a factor when choosing a ecu .

i have read Syvecs hasn't got as good a software as Motec,but here lies the problem as there is a million different opinions online

maybe ive picked it up wrong but i thought cantcu was the most straight forward of all with no wiring or boards to be added to the mechatronics ??
Old 07-07-2023, 07:29 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Syvecs software is leaps and bounds better than Motec.

Motec is pay for absolutely every little extra, and I just dislike the software and the GUI.

Obviously I'm sure there will be plenty out there will say the opposite though. For me the Syvecs is far more intuitive, and tuning via keyboard just miles better. It's just better, easier and faster. Likewise I much prefer the Syvecs datalog software.
Of course I've used Syvecs more than the Motec, but what I have used of the M130 or 150.....just made be not want to have to use it ever again lol.

CANTCU may be simple in that regard ( TBH I thought Turbo Lamik was too ), but they also specific only a couple of boxes, all BMW only. The cheapest 8HP's tend to be the Jag, although the BMW stuff is very plentiful and cheap too. So little odds really.

Just lots of research to do before making the jump.
markk (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 07:47 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

there seems to be a big difference in price on the syvecs and motec Stevie, and i understand where you are coming from.if like yourself you are trying to get every little last bit from your car and the data logging is imperative after every run .

i am hoping for one map ,thats it car finished lol

what's your thoughts on max ecu,it seems to be garnering a good reputation ?

as you say research will be key as this is a relatively expensive resto mod

this was the video that had me excited about motec

Last edited by james kiely; 07-07-2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:01 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Motec is exactly as stated. Pay separately for everything. The M series SW is better than the old stuff but still not supportive but, their marketplace is not amateur either, it's what I would term intermediate level.

Got to say, Syvecs\Life SW isn't intuitive either. Again, aimed at above the amateurs.

Maxx have spent tons of time making the system pretty well supported in all aspects of user help and variable options. Probably the most open ecu packed with functions but some of the support team come across and knobs from my experience. Still a very capable ecu.

Non of the above are pro level imo. Non are certainly not OEM level. Some are amateur motorsport spec, non are top flight Motorsport.

The user is the key. My ecu most wouldn't live with, but if your budget is like mine there isn't a more capable ecu.
User interface is key to amateur users.
james kiely (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 08:07 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Any decent ecu can have traction control that works.

And Motec and Syvecs are both high priced units. In that regard price isn't so much a factor. Although there are slightly cheaper variants that can be specced down, but in general they are still good value ( Syvecs, not Motec lol )

I've looked at the Maxxecu software a few times, it seems fairly simple and well laid out. However I have never actually used one. A friend did buy ne for his R33 a while back, but not sure if he's fitted it yet or how he's getting on.
But they do seem to have a lot of good options, and are keenly priced. I would like to try one, but TBH I just can't see any reason to buy one, when I'd always choose Syvecs first.

And it's not just a case of saying datalog every run. Most ecu's these days have datalogging, even the DTA I used before for 15 years or so had datalogging.....but it's like saying a car is a car. It isn't that simple.
And although I havent watched the video....yes some ecu's will say they have traction control, but how it works in the real world can be very different. Syvecs is excellent. DTA's was ok...but just too often for whatever reason, it just failed to react and one time it got far too scary for comfort when not expecting it.
But as with engines, gearboxes....tuning traction control to get it good takes time.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:15 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Diesel torque converter does not suit revvy petrol engines.

Yes they need to be torque controlled and closed loop. I first converted mine with just rpm\tps based open loop but it was not good enough for a road car.
Now I'm on a torque model closed loop.
If you need to change engine ecu find one that is already integrated and proven with a gearbox ECU. Can still be external to the engine ecu, just find one that all the integration work has been proven out or you will soon get fed up of getting to the point of acceptable operation.
I can't comment for any other controller other that HTG GCU.

motec and max ecu are both supported by cantcu mark .

I can only go by what i see on forums/Facebook/youtube etc to make an uneducated choice lol

my thoughts on favoring cantcu were the fact it's using BMWs own development for road cars,whereas htg and turbolamik were more motorsport dedicated
markk (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 08:21 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Any decent ecu can have traction control that works.

And Motec and Syvecs are both high priced units. In that regard price isn't so much a factor. Although there are slightly cheaper variants that can be specced down, but in general they are still good value ( Syvecs, not Motec lol )

I've looked at the Maxxecu software a few times, it seems fairly simple and well laid out. However I have never actually used one. A friend did buy ne for his R33 a while back, but not sure if he's fitted it yet or how he's getting on.
But they do seem to have a lot of good options, and are keenly priced. I would like to try one, but TBH I just can't see any reason to buy one, when I'd always choose Syvecs first.

And it's not just a case of saying datalog every run. Most ecu's these days have datalogging, even the DTA I used before for 15 years or so had datalogging.....but it's like saying a car is a car. It isn't that simple.
And although I havent watched the video....yes some ecu's will say they have traction control, but how it works in the real world can be very different. Syvecs is excellent. DTA's was ok...but just too often for whatever reason, it just failed to react and one time it got far too scary for comfort when not expecting it.
But as with engines, gearboxes....tuning traction control to get it good takes time.
max ecu from what ive seen is gaining popularity due to its pricepoint and level of features .decisions decisions

I really cant afford to fook this up
Old 07-07-2023, 08:22 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Motec is exactly as stated. Pay separately for everything. The M series SW is better than the old stuff but still not supportive but, their marketplace is not amateur either, it's what I would term intermediate level.

Got to say, Syvecs\Life SW isn't intuitive either. Again, aimed at above the amateurs.

Maxx have spent tons of time making the system pretty well supported in all aspects of user help and variable options. Probably the most open ecu packed with functions but some of the support team come across and knobs from my experience. Still a very capable ecu.

Non of the above are pro level imo. Non are certainly not OEM level. Some are amateur motorsport spec, non are top flight Motorsport.

The user is the key. My ecu most wouldn't live with, but if your budget is like mine there isn't a more capable ecu.

what ecu do you run mark?
Old 07-07-2023, 08:29 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

The two sides differ lol.

For me, the Syvecs software is very intuitive, and features, I/O's laid out crystal clear. It's just so easy in that regard. As I've said before, I just utterly despise the GEMS, of which the AEM Infinity I mentioned is based around, although they have made their software a little more user friendly, although in other respects made it far less tuneable. Some aspects ok, some not.

I had to do a supercharged Clio a year or so ago and it used a GEMS ecu, although called called something slightly different Gen Tuner Pro. Just horrid, truly horrid ! Hell, even to just connect to the flippin ecu was a ballache, as you have to have specific profiles for each and every one which had not been supplied, and very little by way of documentation. That took a few days to sort out with the suppliers of the kit.
Motec is a pain that way too, always requiring a specific software version to connect to the ecu's specific firmware or else it always wants you to upgrade, do this, do that, etc etc.

Syvecs just connects and lets you work, none of that faffing about. Upgrade firmware when you want, never being told wrong software, update this and that. I've used loads of ecu's over the years, and for me, Syvecs is just the best package for me.
Ethernet comms too, easy, fast, reliable and dead easy to use WiFi with it so no leads needed.

Obviously I'm biased because it is my preference after using dozens of ecu's over the years, but Ryan did a good podcast a while back on HPA

https://www.hpacademy.com/blog/068-t...-capabilities/

But again, what it shows between Mark and myself.....it 100% comes down to the person actually using and tuning it. It is their preference, their abilities with any system. No sense buying a system nobody can tune, or your chosen tuner cannot tune.
Most ecu's these days are very capable, but it needs that person to make it all work for the end user.

Maxx could make a lot of sense though just for it's ability to control the likes of a DCT directly. Saves faffing with external controllers and it should be a very simple setup and run deal.

Whilst yes I would probably prefer an 8HP myself....on the above basis, I don't think you could exclude the DCT either though. For you driving, it will still be an auto.

Old 07-07-2023, 08:32 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

motec and max ecu are both supported by cantcu mark .

I can only go by what i see on forums/Facebook/youtube etc to make an uneducated choice lol

my thoughts on favoring cantcu were the fact it's using BMWs own development for road cars,whereas htg and turbolamik were more motorsport dedicated
I thought it was CANtcu that used the OEM tcu.
If you are big power though you are then stuck with the BMW protocol for operation and might need the ability to make changes.
If you were pushing less than the factory car then no issues.

For example, 8HP45. Small enough gearbox, but will only handle 450nm. That is the safe design capacity from ZF to warrant the box.
The box itself will do 550-600nm but the safety protocol won't let it.
The systems that bypass the oe tcu allow you to exploit these 'extras'.
Or you go big and fit the one that suits your torque range.
Oh and the 8HP don't like much over 8000rpm.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:36 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

What's it like space wise in the tunnel of a Sierra or Escort for a DCT ?

The huge side casing for the mechatronics always looks like it would need a new tunnel made ? Or maybe it's not that bad in person ?

Likewise most autos with their huge sumps. They just look like they'd end up scraping the ground lol

I was able to get the T56 into mine with almost no tunnel work at all, but it is tight. I doubt either an 8HP or DCT would fit without really cutting up the tunnel ( plus my turbos are down beside the bellhousing, which I'm sure would end up a nightmare too. )
Old 07-07-2023, 08:42 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

The two sides differ lol.

For me, the Syvecs software is very intuitive, and features, I/O's laid out crystal clear. It's just so easy in that regard. As I've said before, I just utterly despise the GEMS, of which the AEM Infinity I mentioned is based around, although they have made their software a little more user friendly, although in other respects made it far less tuneable. Some aspects ok, some not.

I had to do a supercharged Clio a year or so ago and it used a GEMS ecu, although called called something slightly different Gen Tuner Pro. Just horrid, truly horrid ! Hell, even to just connect to the flippin ecu was a ballache, as you have to have specific profiles for each and every one which had not been supplied, and very little by way of documentation. That took a few days to sort out with the suppliers of the kit.
Motec is a pain that way too, always requiring a specific software version to connect to the ecu's specific firmware or else it always wants you to upgrade, do this, do that, etc etc.

Syvecs just connects and lets you work, none of that faffing about. Upgrade firmware when you want, never being told wrong software, update this and that. I've used loads of ecu's over the years, and for me, Syvecs is just the best package for me.
Ethernet comms too, easy, fast, reliable and dead easy to use WiFi with it so no leads needed.

Obviously I'm biased because it is my preference after using dozens of ecu's over the years, but Ryan did a good podcast a while back on HPA

https://www.hpacademy.com/blog/068-t...-capabilities/

But again, what it shows between Mark and myself.....it 100% comes down to the person actually using and tuning it. It is their preference, their abilities with any system. No sense buying a system nobody can tune, or your chosen tuner cannot tune.
Most ecu's these days are very capable, but it needs that person to make it all work for the end user.

Maxx could make a lot of sense though just for it's ability to control the likes of a DCT directly. Saves faffing with external controllers and it should be a very simple setup and run deal.

Whilst yes I would probably prefer an 8HP myself....on the above basis, I don't think you could exclude the DCT either though. For you driving, it will still be an auto.
I do agree.
I've spent most of my life working with GEMS (as they supplied Ford Motorsport all the ecu for engine and transmission for a while) so just got used to it, but there are some licenced use where GEMS did customer development.
AEM, Omex, Gen90. Plus their early stuff was awful, nearly as bad as Pectel on the T series 😂
But I just gel with their own stuff. On my car I have Simtek Pro.
An 'all features' system from GEMS group A and group N work. So it can do anything really that you can imagine with tons of I\O.

It's defo down to user and time spent using 👍

I never make any recommendations on ecus really at all now.
I have my user choices. But have no reason to change.
Plus the CAN is all user configurable so allows me to communicate with my dash, my gearbox and centre diff controllers and log them all in one place.
I do have much more use than a road car.
But, I have been looking at ABS recently 😃
I want something newer though than the e46 mk60.
james kiely (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 08:46 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

What's it like space wise in the tunnel of a Sierra or Escort for a DCT ?

The huge side casing for the mechatronics always looks like it would need a new tunnel made ? Or maybe it's not that bad in person ?

Likewise most autos with their huge sumps. They just look like they'd end up scraping the ground lol

I was able to get the T56 into mine with almost no tunnel work at all, but it is tight. I doubt either an 8HP or DCT would fit without really cutting up the tunnel ( plus my turbos are down beside the bellhousing, which I'm sure would end up a nightmare too. )
The mechatronics cover isnt an issue at all, it's the bellhousing with two big wet clutches in it.
It doesn't taper off much like a manual.
Had to take a few ribs off the top of the box and some massage work to the top of the tunnel but it's tight.
And not the lowest part of the car underneath and I have a billet alloy sump on mine too.
james kiely (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 08:47 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

This must be the most this forum has seen in technical content for years 😂
The following 2 users liked this post by markk:
cossie2 (08-07-2023), stevieturbo (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 08:49 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

I thought it was CANtcu that used the OEM tcu.
If you are big power though you are then stuck with the BMW protocol for operation and might need the ability to make changes.
If you were pushing less than the factory car then no issues.

For example, 8HP45. Small enough gearbox, but will only handle 450nm. That is the safe design capacity from ZF to warrant the box.
The box itself will do 550-600nm but the safety protocol won't let it.
The systems that bypass the oe tcu allow you to exploit these 'extras'.
Or you go big and fit the one that suits your torque range.
Oh and the 8HP don't like much over 8000rpm.
i think they use the standard mechatronics but control it with their own tcu ,where as t lamik and htg you have to fit a board or rewire your mechatronics
Old 07-07-2023, 08:52 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

This must be the most this forum has seen in technical content for years 😂

the most replies in years aswell mark

but this is why i still hang around in here instead of the social media opinions
Old 07-07-2023, 08:53 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Or another that gets less chat, again from Scandinavia, DKGecu.

Some say it was basically an Arduino based system, but no idea on the reality of that ( they do DCT, not sure about 8HP )

Nisse is the creator

https://www.youtube.com/@nissejarnet/videos

Last edited by stevieturbo; 07-07-2023 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:54 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

I do agree.
I've spent most of my life working with GEMS (as they supplied Ford Motorsport all the ecu for engine and transmission for a while) so just got used to it, but there are some licenced use where GEMS did customer development.
AEM, Omex, Gen90. Plus their early stuff was awful, nearly as bad as Pectel on the T series 😂
But I just gel with their own stuff. On my car I have Simtek Pro.
An 'all features' system from GEMS group A and group N work. So it can do anything really that you can imagine with tons of I\O.

It's defo down to user and time spent using 👍

I never make any recommendations on ecus really at all now.
I have my user choices. But have no reason to change.
Plus the CAN is all user configurable so allows me to communicate with my dash, my gearbox and centre diff controllers and log them all in one place.
I do have much more use than a road car.
But, I have been looking at ABS recently 😃
I want something newer though than the e46 mk60.
i did look at the bosch motorsport abs system ,but i havent won the lottery yet lol
Old 07-07-2023, 09:39 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

i think they use the standard mechatronics but control it with their own tcu ,where as t lamik and htg you have to fit a board or rewire your mechatronics
That is exactly what HTG do. Use the OE mechatronics, so all speed sensors, temp sensors and solenoids and use rheir own ecu.
Its the ones that emulate the factory signals like Maxx and CANtcu that plug straight into the oe plug with no internal changes.

The factory tcu is in the middle of the mechatronics on the DCT on the side, underneath above the sump in 8HP
james kiely (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 09:45 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

That is exactly what HTG do. Use the OE mechatronics, so all speed sensors, temp sensors and solenoids and use rheir own ecu.
Its the ones that emulate the factory signals like Maxx and CANtcu that plug straight into the oe plug with no internal changes.

The factory tcu is in the middle of the mechatronics on the DCT on the side, underneath above the sump in 8HP
i didnt realise the max plugged straight in .

i knew the pro max ecu supported the auto box ,but hadnt looked into how

i see its only the pro has the dbw option also ,so would have to go with that one to work with the 8hp.

the pro level does look very well specced for the price
Old 07-07-2023, 09:48 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

i see its only the pro has the dbw option also ,so would have to go with that one to work with the 8hp.

All Maxx support DCT. Be careful though there are 2 different ratio boxes. One has a 1:1 7th gear
james kiely (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 09:57 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Yes, but pretty sure the Maxx cannot directly control the 8HP. DCT yes, 8HP no.

Even the support info on their site is pretty good.

https://www.maxxecu.com/webhelp/wiri...t_gearbox.html

No mention of the 8HP, so you'd still need another controller for that

https://www.maxxecu.com/webhelp/wiri...smissions.html
Old 07-07-2023, 10:05 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

thanks stevie , yeah im a bit gutted they havent started directly connecting to the 8hp

i feeel its becoming such a popular choice of gearbox now that they must be working on it lol

i will have to email them and find out if its in the pipeline

Quick Reply: Cosworth gearbox options