General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Land Rover Defenders - talk to me chaps !

Search this Thread

Old 26-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Land Rover Defenders - talk to me chaps !

Looking at getting a Defender, wanted one for years but now her who must be obeyed has said now s the time !

Seen a 300tdi County for sale I quite like, 189k on the clock but I seem to think that's nothing for one of these (?)

What's the story chaps ?
Old 26-09-2015, 02:25 PM
Cos500
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr S1
Looking at getting a Defender, wanted one for years but now her who must be obeyed has said now s the time !

Seen a 300tdi County for sale I quite like, 189k on the clock but I seem to think that's nothing for one of these (?)

What's the story chaps ?
Defenders are awesome, 200tdi is the best one as there are no electrical issues to worry about, no egr valves or even an ecu, 300tdi is basically the same but with some basic electrics, maybe even egr and cat can't remember now, after that they start going downhill, my td5 was a nitemare so I got rid and went for the 200tdi, ex raf, 180k on original engine box and turbo.
Mechanical wise don't worry, they run forever but do smoke on acceleration especially if the fuel pumps been messed with to make more power, they are slow so don't be expecting to get anywhere quick, motorway 60 mph feels good, any more doesn't but load up the family and the dog and go anywhere.
Later engines than td5 are shite, like any modern car, cheap units that are poor in comparison although quicker and less agricultural.

Biggest thing by far to check is the chassis, 200 and 300tdi if it hasn't been welded I'd be surprised, they rot behind the outriggers especially, if you have the budget get one with a galvanised chassis, a proper galvanised from new chassis not an old one that someone's had galvanised as they rot from the inside out.

The bulkheads rot too, give it a good check, if it's the original bulkhead it will have rot somewhere.

Best thing about the defender is everything is replaceable but things can be expensive.

Also this is the no1 vehicle targeted for theft in the uk, older ones especially so be very careful where you leave it and get an alarm fitted along with pedal lock and disclock, only a deterrent as you can unbolt the steering wheel, bolt a new one on and drive off but the more deterrents the more likely they'll leave it and Nick another.

That said I never had an issue but paid 2.5k for it thinking I'd got a bargain, soon after

New galvanised chassis
New galvanised bulkhead
4 new tyres
New fuel tank
Fuel lines
Brake lines
Seat box
Windscreen
Suspension
Brakes
All bushes
And the list goes on, my 2.5k defender though was now worth 10k plus and you'll never lose money on it, has to be one of the best vehicles ever made and even on a small budget you can own and run it and do bits as you go

Last edited by Cos500; 26-09-2015 at 02:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mr S1 (26-09-2015)
Old 26-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Excellent - cheers chap
Old 26-09-2015, 03:16 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

If you are average height forget it,rubbish seating position,handbrake below your left knee,narrow,noisy etc etching.
I had a td5 pickup and that's what I would have for fun but no way I'd buy 1 for every day driving.
I'd recommend a hilux surf or land cruiser especially if you want to put the family in it.
Old 26-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Not an everyday driver, not quiet or refined enough for motorway work. We live semi rural, have a dog and I like to shoot and when the winter comes the weather can be 'challenging' so having one would prove useful.
Old 26-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Cos500

Originally Posted by 155lee
If you are average height forget it,rubbish seating position,handbrake below your left knee,narrow,noisy etc etching.
I had a td5 pickup and that's what I would have for fun but no way I'd buy 1 for every day driving.
I'd recommend a hilux surf or land cruiser especially if you want to put the family in it.
Rubbish, I'm 6"3, spent 8 years driving all over the world in them then had one as a daily up until recently, took it all over the country to remote locations sea fishing, family trips etc no worries.
Old 26-09-2015, 09:48 PM
Cos500

Name:  8fc9b8dea9e74909c4d69489da0c3005.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  453.2 KB

One of mine at the coast somewhere
Old 26-09-2015, 09:49 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cos500
Rubbish, I'm 6"3, spent 8 years driving all over the world in them then had one as a daily up until recently, took it all over the country to remote locations sea fishing, family trips etc no worries.
That's good,but speaking from my own personal experience of them I find them cramped,noisy and the seating position bad.
Old 26-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Cos500

That's good,but speaking from my own personal experience of them I find them cramped,noisy and the seating position bad.
I changed the original steering wheel for a slightly smaller one, also fitted seats out of a wr1 impreza as i wanted a little more comfort on long journeys and off road they held me in better.
The seating position does take a little getting used to but for me its all part of its character, along with the noise, draughts etc etc, one thing for sure though it never let me down, pulled countless people out that were stuck in the snow, you can walk on it to put your gear on the roof, if it gets scratched paint it with a brush haha, love em, so gutted having to sell it after all the work i did but a little one turned up making 5 so i got a discovery, its great but id swap it for another defender the moment i can or look at one for a project in a few years.
Old 27-09-2015, 12:15 AM
Mad_Mat
New Owner

Received 93 Likes on 90 Posts

I,ve had 3 defender 90's over the last 15 years.
My current one is fairly modified truck cab thats lifted big tyres, Full roll cage etc. - All the gear no idea... with a 300tdi. Either tdi engine is great. Td5 is really good as long as electrics dont go wrong.
If your planning to use it offroad ie trialling or the like its amazing where a modified 90 will go. I,ve done a bit of trialling its great fun very cheap motorsport.
As said above happy around 55/60mph cruising even with my massive 255/85's mud tyres.
If you want modified try to find a good one where someone else has spent the money. Mine was 6k on a 98 plate with 180k on the clock but really well modified with all the kit.
I love mine, its rough & ready for anything and pretty damn cool. Even the missus loves driving it.
Lots of offroad work go for tdi or if your going to commute maybe go td5.
As said already. Look for rot on chassis everything else is bolt on.
Massive aftermarket for bits and mods. Great vehicles. Very slow but lots of fun.

Last edited by Mad_Mat; 27-09-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 27-09-2015, 01:46 AM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My td5,prob cheapest td5 anywhere,swapped for a £1000 xr2,123k,had an uprated ecu and the power this thing had was unreal.
Loved opening the pass side air flap and hearing the turbo spool up.
Name:  IMAG1480_zpsznhktfbx.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  240.9 KB
Name:  IMAG1456_zpsacpn8sxe.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  279.9 KB
Sold it yo a pal,bought it back then sold it to another pal who will never sell it.chassis isn't the best but bulkhead and the body are solid.
Can't see past these though.
Name:  image_zps044b0a9e.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  90.2 KB
Old 27-09-2015, 03:58 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

This won't be a commuter I can assure you ! Got a bike for that and a C-Max for comfort / motorway work so any Defender will be a toy. Sort of thing I can bumble round country lanes in, not worry when the dog's filthy, dump runs etc....and when I shoot it's often down country tracks so it'd be in its element there as well. Biggest concern is making sure I don't buy a lemon (!) and knowing next to nothing about them is why I'm asking here. Suspect I'll end up buying from a dealer to get some kind of warranty so if there's a problem it's theirs not mine.
Old 27-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Cos500

You'll be paying over the odds from a dealer I'd say probably 1k or so over and as I found out warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on.
Do your homework and research, register on landyzone or similar as like PF everyone's experiences and such are on there plus buying guides etc
Mr S1 (27-09-2015)
Old 27-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Cos500

My td5,prob cheapest td5 anywhere,swapped for a £1000 xr2,123k,had an uprated ecu and the power this thing had was unreal.
Loved opening the pass side air flap and hearing the turbo spool up.

Sold it yo a pal,bought it back then sold it to another pal who will never sell it.chassis isn't the best but bulkhead and the body are solid.
Can't see past these though.
Do like that Toyota, they are awesome also, saw one the other day on an F plate and it looked the boll@cks
155lee (27-09-2015)
Old 27-09-2015, 11:13 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Get one of these lol cheap more comfy reliable and go anywhere
Name:  image_zpskilzbg8b.jpeg
Views: 41
Size:  84.5 KB
Old 27-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Refundable deposit down on a 1990 a Defender TD90....got in writing from dealer if it isn't what I want I get my deposit back. Need to find out what to look at properly now, joined Landyzone (cheers Cos ��) so see what guidance they can provide. Viewing week tomorrow.

Excited as ALWAYS wanted a Defender but more nervous about making sure I don't inherit a pup....
Old 27-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Cos500

Refundable deposit down on a 1990 a Defender TD90....got in writing from dealer if it isn't what I want I get my deposit back. Need to find out what to look at properly now, joined Landyzone (cheers Cos ��) so see what guidance they can provide. Viewing week tomorrow.

Excited as ALWAYS wanted a Defender but more nervous about making sure I don't inherit a pup....
Plenty of time to do your homework mate and maybe organise taking someone along with you for a second set of eyes.
Try and get it on a ramp, this is a must so you can check the chassis front to back, it's a ladder chassis and most of it is on show, front legs should be fine as oil leaks protect them, under the front and rear doors are the outriggers, you'll see them coming off the chassis like supports, get a screwdriver behind and poke about, gentle like, inside the outriggers is the gearbox cross member, they rot behind where it's fixed so check around the fixings for any signs.
At the rear behind and around the fuel tank they go as crap gets stuck around it but the rear part of the chassis is replaceable if it's just that.
Talking of oil leaks they leak from everywhere, they did from new but minor not excessive, a full seal kit for the engine cost me about £17 so no problem just labour costs.
Check where the battery sits in the seat box under passenger seat, a new seat box is £££££££ so if it's rotten it will need work or replacement, my battery was sat on a fibreglass base and the battery was falling out.
Take a magnet and stick it on the corners of the bulkhead at the corners of the windscreen, if it's filler it's probably rotten elsewhere.
Just a few things to look for but these are the most important and could cost big bucks to put right.
Old 27-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Big thanks chap - very much appreciated and I'll print that off and take with me.
Old 27-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Cos500

Big thanks chap - very much appreciated and I'll print that off and take with me.
No worries, oh if it's fully under sealed I'd just walk, it's under sealed for a reason so you can't see anything, mine was like this and I learnt the hard way.
Old 27-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Makes total sense, I'd rather see it 'au naturele' so I know wat I'm looking at as I do when buying anything else.
Old 27-09-2015, 04:06 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cos500
Do like that Toyota, they are awesome also, saw one the other day on an F plate and it looked the boll@cks
The f plate surfs are more like a pickup hilux,leaf springs on the rear,torsion bars on the front.
The 1 in the pic is my 2nd 1,had 3 and my daily is a blue over silver 3.0 auto,owned it for 2 years,40000 miles and cost £45 in repairs,pulls anything in comfort,not done any off-road work in it,it's a 1996 and looks like a 2006.
Maybe if I ever finish spending in my 2wd saph I'll buy a much newer land cruiser but I'll still keep the surf as it's owe me nothing!