General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Track day advice anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 20-04-2015, 10:05 AM
pjv7771
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Track day advice anyone ?

I'm thinking of booking some track time in the near future (probably cadwell), will be the first time I've ever been on a track so I wondered if anyone had any advice/ do's and dont's etc so I don't make myself look a twat on the day
Cheers
Paul
Old 20-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

1. Make sure your car is in shape and fit for the task at hand. Low fluid levels and knackered tyres aren't going to help you at all.

Go slow and take your time to learn how your car behaves as it's a different beast all together at track speeds.

Be aware of the cars that are around you and don't assume they will yield.

If they offer it spend a few quid on some laps with an instructor. They will show you the braking and turn in points as well as the best line to try and maintain.

Most of all, enjoy it
Old 20-04-2015, 11:58 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

My advice on track days is not to drive anything you particularly like until you get some experience

That's in terms of you knowing how to manage your own car on track and in terms of maybe being involved in an accident either on your own or with a third party
Old 20-04-2015, 02:28 PM
Willka
Ford KA 1.7 Vct, soon...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on the track think most of them require a helmet, about Ł100 depending on quality or you can rent them
Old 20-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oranoco
1. Make sure your car is in shape and fit for the task at hand. Low fluid levels and knackered tyres aren't going to help you at all.

Go slow and take your time to learn how your car behaves as it's a different beast all together at track speeds.

Be aware of the cars that are around you and don't assume they will yield.

If they offer it spend a few quid on some laps with an instructor. They will show you the braking and turn in points as well as the best line to try and maintain.

Most of all, enjoy it

all good advice there,

don't go thinking you will be the fastest out there, take some spares like brake pads, have aa recovery lol
Old 20-04-2015, 04:52 PM
pjv7771

Thanks for the replies lads, all good info, how much does wearing a lid restrict your vision when your driving ?, I wondered if you had less of a feel for what's around you ?
Old 20-04-2015, 04:57 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Hands 9+3 and no shuffling. Start with good habits.
Old 20-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Remember its not a race. Keep looking in your mirrors for faster cars coming behind you. Just pul over and let them past.
Old 20-04-2015, 05:30 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't think helmets obscure your vision, especially when you are concentrating so much.
All good points already been made.
Keep aware of what is around you, if there is something behind you move over and let it past. Ease off, then give chase and see how long you can stick with it.

If you are approaching a corner and something quick catches you, try not to let it put you off, get through the corner as normal, and then move over and let it past.
People (including myself) fluff corners when you have a car right behind you, cause you naturally concentrate on it rather than the corner you are trying to negotiate.

Most of all be relaxed, build speed through the day, check your car after each session, let it cool down on a cool down lap and tick over for a couple of minutes when you have stopped before switching off, don't put your handbrake on straight after coming in (can warp discs).

Enjoy
Old 20-04-2015, 05:50 PM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be aware. Tyres in good nick and tyre pressures. Do a mini service IE oil and filter before and perhaps afterwaords. Do a couple of sighting laps and a cool down lap after. Dont put the handbrake on straight away when parked. Cadwell is my local track and I will say it catched many a hero out. Its not called the Mini Nurburgring for nothing. But it is a proper rewarding track. Just remember its not a race. Its a way of getting to know yourself and yours cars limits. Go to the limit and not passed it

Last edited by CosworthGuy; 20-04-2015 at 05:53 PM. Reason: .
Old 20-04-2015, 05:54 PM
cossie daz
Advanced PassionFord User

If you can hire a transit recovery truck . Around Ł100 a day .
I've done a few track days and my last one at brands hatch didn't go to well . out it in gravel , stones blocked fans and caused fan loom to go up .
Luckily a mate had trailered it there .
Take loads of spared and tools aswell .
Old 20-04-2015, 05:56 PM
cossie daz
Advanced PassionFord User

If like brands they do a m3 driving experience day that will help you so much as will know all the correct lines and able to drive someone else's car .
Old 21-04-2015, 06:17 AM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

Lots of good advice above.

Being aware of those around you is very important. One thing that frustrated me last time I was out was inexperienced people in faster cars not being aware. This meant that I was catching them through the corners but on the straights, instead of easing off and letting me pass, they would accelerate away, only for me to get stuck behind them again in the next corner.

It's very easy to concentrate on your own driving when you're learning and lose track of others, but try to keep an eye on them and just let them go as soon as it's safe. It's much nicer to learn the lines and the behaviour of your car without the pressure of another car up your chuff.
Old 21-04-2015, 09:06 AM
pjv7771

Thanks again for the replies, I'm off to the time attack at cadwell on Saturday so I'll have a good look round then
Old 21-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Use your mirrors a lot!!

Originally Posted by Eagle
have aa recovery lol
And a tow rope so you can get someone to tow you a few miles out the gate. The AA etc arent stupid and wont pick you up from the paddock or car park if youve been on track. However a few miles away it is plausible it let go on the road as you went home.

Originally Posted by Ridgey
I don't think helmets obscure your vision, especially when you are concentrating so much.
Some people dont like full face helmets so if youve got a closed saloon car go open face and have no restrictions whatsoever. A lot cooler too.
Old 21-04-2015, 02:34 PM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at one of Daves at opentrack if you want to book up a track day. They do a great service, always a brilliant mix of cars from all eras and speed and they also offer free tuition and pictures. Brilliant atmosphere and everyone will help.

My advice for your first one would be take it slow and build up. Dont drive as such to go over your driving limits or the cars whatever comes first. Its fun going fast, but more fun winding it back 10-20% and going home in a car thats in one piece.

Most of all have fun, once you done the first one you'll be booking more!
Old 21-04-2015, 07:50 PM
The Underdog
you cant fix stupid

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

i use a road bike helmet and the visor irritates me when its open as its half in your upper vision so i remove the visor completely.
Old 22-04-2015, 08:11 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Although track days are relatively cheap dont forget to factor in the cost of a couple of tanks of fuel, and when you're finished you're gonna need a new set of front brake pads and possibly discs and also a new set of front tyres (if your car is fwd that is).
As others have said, make sure your car is in good shape beforehand because it's gonna take an absolute pounding on the day.
The most important thing though is ENJOY IT! Track days are great fun. Oh and on the helmet issue - the track days I have done at Castle Combe, if you didn't have your own helmet you could just use one of theirs.