General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Track day newbie...... Help, advice and tips wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Track day newbie...... Help, advice and tips wanted

Hi everyone,

I've nearly finished building my track car and really want to make the most of it doing track days/hillclimbs/sprints/drag.

I've never been on track before and not 100% sure how to go about it.

Would love to hear advice from the seasoned track users on here.

Cheers Billy
Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

What car is it. Make sure you have good brake pads.

When pulling into the pits after a session dont put your hand brake on cause you will fry your rear pads/shoes.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Straight_4_N/a
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just find out which is you nearest track and find out if thay do trackdays and just book and pay.

on the day turn up with a wallet full of cash and your driving licence and a car that goes and stops, dont have to be road legal just no leaking fuilds or hanging off parts or bad loud exhuast ie over 110db.

sign in and ask about tuition most tracks have it and the price can vary track to track but if thay do it take it since your new but dont worry it won't brake the bank to much.

take basic tools with you and spare tyres and wheels just in case last thing you want is the end your track time early because 8f something silly.

when you first go out make sure your in last and just plod along at a pace you feel happy with until you do a few laps to warm everything up and you learnt the track abit, half way into the day don't get to cocky and try and keep up with other cars at a much higher pace than before as you don't know whats been done to there cars and yours mite not be able to carrie the same speed in the bends, at the end of the day when everyones going home but the track is still open and you think just one more go just say NO your most likely gonna bin your car.

car checks.
check the car every time before and after you go out on track, look at fuilds, tyres, wheel nuts ect.

Its just mostly coman sense stuff but just remember you need more than 1/2 tank of fuel! I used nearly 3/4 in my shitbox on the weekend.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Straight_4_N/a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Glen just reminded me lol.
when you pull into the pits don't pull your hand brake up and don't turn your engine straight off! Pull up pop your bonnet have a mate open it for you and just leave it a min running and just knock it off and leave it in first.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Dont forget its not a race. Its about learning how the car handles and drives on track.

Just have fun. Once you have done one you will wanna do more.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've got AP's all round with decent pads so hopefully brakes will be ok.

The tip about the handbrake is a good one, thanks. I've actually been told that before but forgot about it. Maybe once I start doing track days it'll become second nature?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM
stevecfrst1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive done a lot of trackdays , some good advice allready given and sounds like your car is up for it. My advice to a novice would be to take your time to learn the car and dont go mental straight away. I also think that going out with an instructor is esstential, you will go so much faster and get much more out of the day with a few pointers, imo its amazing how much difference it can make, some trackday compaines even offer it for free.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Bedford is closest to me. Maybe I'll ask there about tuition etc.

I have an 8 gallon fuel cell, so maybe I'd need to take extra fuel with me. Taking tools and a spare wheel are good shouts. Checking the car after and before every session also good a tip.

I think the thing that worries me the most is that I don't want to be the guy getting in the way of the more experienced drivers
Old 08-04-2014, 11:31 AM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

I might be talking shit, but don't you have to wear long sleeve tops, or is that just open cockpit cars?
Would be a bummer to go out on a hot day in a t shirt an get turned away...
Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah that's a good shout. I'll make sure I leave a jumper in the car at all times
Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 PM
madsi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

be warned,once you get used to trackdays you will want to start racing
Old 08-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Richie.
aka Turbosailorboy

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If you intend doing hillclimbs/sprints check you comply with the relevent rules and regs.

Trackdays are quite relaxed on scruntineering, usually just noise and loose articles whereas hillclimbs and sprints have to adhere to MSA Blue Book.

Tyres, fluids, brakes etc is something I'd expect you to check regulary on a performance road car anyway.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:37 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your wheel nuts regularly.
Take a tyre pressure gauge with you and keep an eye on tyre pressures.
Take it slow from the start and build up your confidence.
Always do a warm down lap/half a lap.
If someone has come up behind you then they're faster, but maybe not in a straight line, keep an eye on your mirrors and if someone comes up behind then pull over to the corresponding side (usually right) on a straight and lift off the throttle to let them pass.

I'm not sure what's been done to the car already but you may have fallen in to the common trap of building a full-on track car before ever going out on track. As long as the cars in good condition, has decent pads/fluid and good tread on the tyres then you're good to go. Doing it this way you'll appreciate the upgrades, know what you want to upgrade next and improve the way you drive the car.

Don't bother with semi-slicks for at least your first 5 td's, you'll learn far more about the car on normal road tyres without relying on the grip from the semi's.

Tuition, Tuition, Tuition!!! Get some booked for later in the day, go out and get some laps in by yourself so you get in to a routine and then the instructor can point out where you're going wrong.

Limit your time out to 10-15 min sessions, then come in and have a rest and think about the way you drove and possible ways to improve

It's not a race!!!! But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy some close lapping with an evenly paced car/driver, just don't let the red mist get you and drive within your limits.

Enjoy the open wallet surgery

Last edited by SiZT; 08-04-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:45 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by cossiestu
I might be talking shit, but don't you have to wear long sleeve tops, or is that just open cockpit cars?
Would be a bummer to go out on a hot day in a t shirt an get turned away...
Yeh some track day organisers ask you to wear long sleeved clothing.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 118 Likes on 110 Posts

Book a novice track day for your first one ,that way everyone is new to it .also pays to have insurance as you never know what will happen
Old 08-04-2014, 03:19 PM
cossiestu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 150 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_
Yeh some track day organisers ask you to wear long sleeved clothing.
Glad I wasn't talking out my arse, I was worried I was going to get shot down in flames!!? Lol
Old 08-04-2014, 03:22 PM
nevsrevs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

just remember its ment to be fun, so when your sat it the pits waiting to go out with jelly legs feeling sick, take a deep breath, smile and enjoy yourself, we have felt the same on the first time out, lol.

every thing has been covered above, but you said about getting in the way! dont panic about cars behind you, its there job to get round you safely, pay attention to what your doing and when safe pull to one side, I have seen to many people panic and do silly things like brake hard ect, relax and check mirrors, move over, job done,
Old 08-04-2014, 03:40 PM
stevecfrst1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A big pointer if your going to bedford autodrome is to make sure your car complies with their strict noise regulations, if your car is too noisy they will black flag you and send you home no questions
Old 08-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for all the pointers

Can't wait to get out there..... My wallet is used to taking a beating so this should be fine
Old 08-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As for the noise, I don't have an external wastegate screaming or super loud exhaust so hopefully should be ok for noise.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you have a mate with another car then its good to have them take the tools etc in that, just remember if you do have tools and things in your car to remove them before going out.. amazing on how heavy a bottle of oil becomes when your hit in the head when you crash. always good if you can get a mate to drive along with you, then if you do need something to keep you going use their car to go get it.
if you have nice coilover suspension, remember to turn it back down as the british roads will soon remind you.
take it easy and build it up, feel how the car responds to corners and adjust the suspension to help.
loads of good advice in the above posts, remember its supposed to be fun. don't get stressed and the red mist does have a way of finding its way in no matter what you think lol ..
take spares .. good brake pads are a must, no point in cooking a set and realising you have none spare.
if you do drive it there, just remember you have to drive it back lol .. never fun waiting for the tow truck.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:24 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi,
If you decided that you're interested in track day insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards.
Dan.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:25 AM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks again for all the advice people. Very helpful.