General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MOT on track cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 11:55 PM
JOHNDQ
BANNED
BANNED

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Underdog
iv come to the conclusion that no one really know the answer not even mot testers as different ones say different things. even this thread is full of conflicting opinions just like every other discussion iv read online.
that's very true, they keep bringing in new rules then change or take them away again there is me and two other testers at my place and half the time we don't no wot we are meant to do
Old 10-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNDQ
but doesn't it say ALL AIRBAGS FITTED AS STANDARD so any part missing which isn't there is missing no. Don't get me wrong i have 3 track cars so im with you but im a tester so ain't to much of a problem lol

The method of inspection is:

As far as practicable, check that all airbags fitted as original equipment are present and not obviously defective.

The reason for rejection is:

An airbag obviously missing or defective.

You can only use the "reasons for rejection" to fail the vehicle which is where the play on words can come in.

How can every mot inspector know what airbags should be fitted to a car? there is no database. Someone removing the bags isnt going to be stupid enough to leave the airbag plate on windscreen VIN in place.

So the tester has no way of proving what should have one if the system has been fully removed.

Doesnt say on V5, doesnt say on the computer.

You cant say "well its a 54 plate corsa and all corsas have airbags" because thats not true. eg kit built motorsport versions.

Also any cars built from a shell up of more than a couple of years old wont be able to use the manufacturers type approval and thus will be forced through IVA which does not allow airbags for amatuer built vehicles. And there is no way youd know that it was diy built from the v5 or system either.

So the whole thing is flawed and complete bullshit really.