General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Now going to look at an audi a3 1.9tdi qauttro tonight!

Search this Thread

Old 23-02-2014, 09:47 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin_P
I'm just a bloke who likes VAG cars as much as my Fords, I'm not a tech or anything and truth been known, I don't know fuck all about anything

I do have VCDS which I use on my car and will quite happily help anyone out.

As for the haldex mapping / chipping it makes the car more 4wd than it is. As standard a haldex 4wd drive car is mostly fwd and is only 4wd when the system senses it needs to be. This is unlike the proper permenant torsen quatro 4wd system as fitted to A4/A6/Passats. A haldex map makes it 4wd more often, that's all.

That said, the haldex system is still good though despite me dogging it a bit

Beware, the haldex system spends more time on than iff. I also made that mistake until i went on the Haldex training
Old 23-02-2014, 09:51 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Chip
Weird seeing people call the PD unreliable. My last one did over 200k no problem.
Pump duse is an awesome system, super reliable, very strange how different brand arms have differing reliability issues with the same system.

See camshaft issues, as much as there is a lot if internet publicity why did i never see one in 10 years as a manager in a vag dealership. I could go on, and i have my suspicions as to why.
Old 23-02-2014, 09:55 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Chip
Ps.
Evolution chips work well on those engines IME
MSD have remapped all the pd engined cars i have had, totally agree superb results. Even my people carrier pd with the 115 has been done with a custom map to match the gear ratios with the towing speed vs revs so i can improve driveability and economy when towing.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Zetecfiesta
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got fabia vrs and that has the 1.9tdi engine, its just clocked over 106k miles and going strong, engine is good if looked afterm planning on removing the EGR soon.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:26 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Why would you want to remove the egr? Its there for a reason to reduce Nox.
Old 23-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Let me flip the question the other way round, why would you want all the crap going through your engine the EGR allows?

Would a car fail an MOT without an EGR?
Old 23-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Ok 2 things i have noticed with the car.

The rear washer, pull the stalk to activate rearmwiper and washer, can hear the pump going but no water sprayed onto rear screen. Instead its dumping it under the bonnet, onto the cross member or something on the passenger side. Not had chance to have a closer look yet as its raining.
obviously the tube to the rear has split/come off somewhere.

And second thing, sometimes when you open the drivers door the catch doesnt release fully so it will come ajar, then you have to let go of the handle and do it again to open the door fully... Sometimes its ok, sometimes not...

Last edited by Fudgey; 23-02-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 23-02-2014, 12:15 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Fullflush
Let me flip the question the other way round, why would you want all the crap going through your engine the EGR allows?

Would a car fail an MOT without an EGR?
Because it was designed to reduce emissions under the EC legislation for Euro compliancy, it is only re-burned when the engine can deal with it.

If the system is kept in good condition then there is no issues with EGR at all.

a lot of the times people map out the EGR, this is generally to mask an underlying issue they cannot sort
Old 23-02-2014, 12:18 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Fudgey
Ok 2 things i have noticed with the car.

The rear washer, pull the stalk to activate rearmwiper and washer, can hear the pump going but no water sprayed onto rear screen. Instead its dumping it under the bonnet, onto the cross member or something on the passenger side. Not had chance to have a closer look yet as its raining.
obviously the tube to the rear has split/come off somewhere.

And second thing, sometimes when you open the drivers door the catch doesnt release fully so it will come ajar, then you have to let go of the handle and do it again to open the door fully... Sometimes its ok, sometimes not...

Washer is a pipe connection near the ABS unit, just will have come up plugged when it froze without having the correct screen wash additive, but the connection needs to be clipped together with a modified clip. Will prob of come off in the tailgate also when you connect the easiest one.

Drivers door handle, check the Bowden cable adjustment, pull the outside handle right out and look down the side of the key lock (if fitted) you will see a small cable with a black clip fastened to the handle, this needs to be half way across the adjustment scale.
It will become obvious when you see it.
Old 23-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Well googled the rear washer issue and looks 100% this

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...sher-pipe.html

Pipe popped apart under the air box.

Door lock one could be a bit more tricky!
Old 23-02-2014, 12:29 PM
kjc300
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a black trunking just behind the battery, the rear wash pipe will have come apart inside it. There is a pipe joiner that pops off. I used small cable ties on mine.

found a thread post here.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...tml#post536234
Old 23-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Yeah cheers mate, just found a thread on it. Will be cable tied soon lol.
Old 23-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Fullflush

Mark - what issues would these be?

I had reason to inspect the EGR when the inlet manifold flap was failing due to it being crudded up. My initial though was why would I want all this crap going round my engine? I'd rather it was vented to atmosphere.
Old 23-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Colin_P
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The EGR's on these need to kept on top of and that is cleaning all the gunk out of them every now and then.

The EGR also helps to warm the engine up quicker as well but the negatives far out weigh that I reckon.

On two of my cars with the 1.9 I deleted the damned thing. On the last two including the one I have now, I can't do that as it puts the engine management light on. You can get it mapped out.

I think the changeover was when a newer Euro4 emissions regs came out, think it was adopted in 2004 by VW. Yours should be no problem, take the vac line off and plug the free end!

As for the emissions side of it, you have to look at your tree hugging conscience vs sludging your inlet tract up with crap

Baby polar bears and seals, think of them
Old 23-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by markk
Washer is a pipe connection near the ABS unit, just will have come up plugged when it froze without having the correct screen wash additive, but the connection needs to be clipped together with a modified clip. Will prob of come off in the tailgate also when you connect the easiest one.

Drivers door handle, check the Bowden cable adjustment, pull the outside handle right out and look down the side of the key lock (if fitted) you will see a small cable with a black clip fastened to the handle, this needs to be half way across the adjustment scale.
It will become obvious when you see it.
Somehow totally missed this reply earlier.. Will try and have a look tomoz cheers mark

Originally Posted by Colin_P
The EGR's on these need to kept on top of and that is cleaning all the gunk out of them every now and then.

The EGR also helps to warm the engine up quicker as well but the negatives far out weigh that I reckon.

On two of my cars with the 1.9 I deleted the damned thing. On the last two including the one I have now, I can't do that as it puts the engine management light on. You can get it mapped out.

I think the changeover was when a newer Euro4 emissions regs came out, think it was adopted in 2004 by VW. Yours should be no problem, take the vac line off and plug the free end!

As for the emissions side of it, you have to look at your tree hugging conscience vs sludging your inlet tract up with crap

Baby polar bears and seals, think of them
Emissions... I just sold an impreza lol

Where is the egr valve and how does one go about cleaning it?

Cheers people
Old 23-02-2014, 09:21 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

If it runs fine, leave it.
Old 23-02-2014, 09:28 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Fair enough! Will do then. Cheers mark.
Old 23-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Bailes1992

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Or clean the inlet manifold out and blank off the EGR valve which will result in more power, cleaner running and better economy!
Old 23-02-2014, 09:40 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Or clean the inlet manifold out and blank off the EGR valve which will result in more power, cleaner running and better economy!

How can you possibly have more power and better economy? does it not cost you diesel to go faster?

The only way these engines go better by removing the EGR is because you have upped the fuel/air mixture, i.e. the EGR is not leaning it off.

It cannot save you fuel, certainly cannot give 'cleaner running' as your Nox content will go through the roof at times.

Too many people 'fix' EGR by removing, rather than fixing what was wrong in the first place.

I have no inkling to remove the EGR from any of the 4 diesel cars I own, in fact I have never removed EGR on any of the diesels I have owned period.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:00 PM
Bailes1992

Originally Posted by markk
How can you possibly have more power and better economy? does it not cost you diesel to go faster?

The only way these engines go better by removing the EGR is because you have upped the fuel/air mixture, i.e. the EGR is not leaning it off.

It cannot save you fuel, certainly cannot give 'cleaner running' as your Nox content will go through the roof at times.

Too many people 'fix' EGR by removing, rather than fixing what was wrong in the first place.

I have no inkling to remove the EGR from any of the 4 diesel cars I own, in fact I have never removed EGR on any of the diesels I have owned period.
The exhaust gasses within the combustion chamber reduce the amount of diesel that actually gets burned. This increases particulate matter. This also means more diesel is required to make the power you want!
Also with a sooted up intake airflow into the engine will not be as smooth as it would be if there was no EGR!

The Mondeo 1.8TDCis try to stall when cold all the time, are lazy, useless on fuel, laggy and generally not that nice to drive.
Remove the EGR and they become much nicer. They don't bog down when cold, the fuel economy improves significantly and they are far more responsive.

With my Mondeo Decatted and the EGR blanked I have improved my economy from an average of 40mpg to 60mpg. That's 50% increase in fuel economy!
There was nothing wrong with my EGR either!

Also worth mentioning my oil used to go black within 50miles of changing it. With the EGR removed it stays squeaky clean for the 6,000miles between changes.
The EGR increases the oil Acitity and also introduces abrasives into the oil.

I'm happy knowing that my wallet and my engine are both much better off having no EGR!
Old 23-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Fullflush

I have no 'problems' with mine, I just want to remove it. If emissions regs didn't exist surely engines wouldn't have them?
Old 23-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Fullflush

Also will removing the egr stop my diesel filter going black as much?
Old 23-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Bailes1992

Nuhuh!
If your diesel filter is going black very quickly then you may have an oil leak in the tandem pump!
Old 23-02-2014, 10:30 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

In 20+ years of working with diesel engines I have never seen one that the oil stays clean for any amount of miles, and I am talking new cars, from the 1st oil change the oil in a diesel is always black, you change it, and because you simply cannot change ALL the oil then these mix and the new oil becomes black.

Ref the Mondeo with a 50% decrease in fuel consumption, if you where that clever then why didn't you write to ford, they have been trying to achieve gains like that for years, if only they have just removed the EGR

I'm sorry, your car had a fault if its was as bad as you said before you removed the EGR.
The engine is mapped to take in EGR, but only at certain conditions, and this has increased with cleaner diesel engines, from 2006 manufacturers had to drop the PPM output to 15, that has come down some 4985 from the previous 10 years.

The engines from the factory are dynode in development to meet stringent emission laws, you are simply deviating from type approval by removing parts that are there to meet emission laws.

My intake is not sooted up, and I have done 147,000 miles or so in mine.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:33 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
Nuhuh!
If your diesel filter is going black very quickly then you may have an oil leak in the tandem pump!
You would also be losing oil at a rapid rate too, the oil in the tandem pump is at pump pressure, if the mix then rarely is it engine oil to tandem pump, its the other way round.

Oil pressure at 5 bar, tandem pump +9 bar, usually the sump fills with diesel, i.e. you would dip your oil and find the level gaining.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:59 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1.9 TDI PD engine is one of the better diesels if looked after correctly.

My Passat has the 130bhp motor and has covered 316k miles without an issue. It's as good as when my dad bought it 10 years ago
Old 23-02-2014, 11:02 PM
tommytwotanks
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fudgey
I have now changed my mind again lol. Just going to go for a mk4 golf tdi, £2kish and 150k miles

mk4 golf tdi and 150k miles what were you thinking
Old 24-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

i was thinking cheap reliable run about.

but that car in question was a fucking nail that i walked away from lol

mark/bailes this is the first diesel i have owned, so dont know FA about diesels really.

other than they are noisy and smell lol
Old 24-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

The devils fuel....
Old 31-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Ok its time to change the oil as its telling me it needs a service. I have the oil and filter, is it worth changing the fuel filter too? (Tbh i have not looked under the bonnet since the day i bought it, so no idea when it was done)

As for the haldex oil, i seen on youtube you can change the filter with a bent spanner, and then the new oil comes in a tube that you pump into the bottom of it. What do you need VAGCOM for when doing this as the guy didnt use it?

I dont have the parts for the haldex yet however so wont be doing that tomorrow.

I still havent polished it even tho i bought a £150 da polisher lol, but i did get the wheels refirbed... Just not had any new tyres put on them pmsl (using a spare set of wheels i bought off ebay as the weather is shit now)

Oh i think the clutch/release bearing is starting to make a bit of noise now. Its on 128k odd miles
Old 01-11-2014, 05:43 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

I will come round and collect wheels. they will fit a treat on the bus
Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

£3k paul and you can have a free car too
Old 05-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Marcyg
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worth changing the fuel filter if you don't know when it was last done. They got no water drain on them, so they could affect the running of the car eventually. all the PD needs is its regular filter, fluid and belt changes and it'll go on forever and a day. My 2003 Polo has the PD 1.9 and I do 25k a year in her, just regular servicing and she's never missed a beat