General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

RSOC

Search this Thread

Old 24-10-2013, 11:07 AM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 178 Likes on 168 Posts
Default RSOC

Anyone seen the latest nail in the coffin?

Copied over:

The RSOC Committee has made the decision that the RSOC Bulletin Board will move to Members Only.

Why ?
The RS Owners Club is funded by its Members subscriptions, why should a NON Member see what 80% of a Paid Up Member can ??

Next Steps
From the 1st of November, Non Members will see the Board, Areas and Thread Titles, but not the posts inside the Threads.

What can I do ?
Two Options, Full RSOC Membership or BBS Membership
RSOC Member ?? http://bbs.rsownersclub.co.uk/rosc_online.php and update to RSOC Member Status

Costs ?
RSOC Member £35 for the first year then £30.00 there on or £80 for 3 Years http://bbs.rsownersclub.co.uk/rosc_online.php
BBS Member £20 6 months http://bbs.rsownersclub.co.uk/payments.php
Old 24-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Money grabbing fookers. Not doing it for the good of the Marque then and being enthusiasts, just for profit.
Old 24-10-2013, 11:14 AM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 178 Likes on 168 Posts

They've even made a point of costing out non RS owners out by making it more expensive to just be a forum member
Old 24-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Maxwell
Irregular Poster

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

RS tax at its finest!!

Who died and made them bastards god!!
Old 24-10-2013, 11:19 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They've been drowning the club for years

Having said that, a lot of people pay £10 a year to sell on here
Old 24-10-2013, 11:21 AM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Doubt it will affect them.im sure most of the membership isn't from forum members anyway.its £80 for 3 years and I have personally saved atleast double that on offers and group buys.
Old 24-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 135 Likes on 121 Posts

Exactly, only the freeloaders complain. Without the RS club there would be far less RS shows every year, that so many on here go to.

The forum is a tiny part of the club, if you don't want to join the club then fine, no need to be bad mouthing it though.....is there. It gets so boring all the RSOC bashing that goes on here.

Trending Topics

Old 24-10-2013, 11:52 AM
rsmark86
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Focus rs forum was £10 for full membership and had all the offers and group buys there so why if you own a frs (for arguments sake) would you spend £30 a year

Plus all insurance company's that deal with modified cars will give you the same benifits for being on here (people like Paul at need to insure) Adrian flux the lot

I gave up being a member 6years ago as the only benifit was the rally news and that got boring

Would be nice to pay the £10 a year to just use there forum though

Last edited by rsmark86; 24-10-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 24-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Sinbad
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Really surprised its took till 12:07 for a thread to appear on here

To be fair £40 a year is too much, £10 a year like most other forums would be fair.

Old 24-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinbad

To be fair £40 a year is too much, £10 a year like most other forums would be fair.

Its my understanding that if the club charge £10 then they wont be able to book national days track times show stands to get better deals so that is the price it is

£35 isnt exactly expensive to be a club members with use of a forum and lets face the club will get smaller so i dont see a issue

I dont agree with some politics on the RSOC but this makes sense to me
Old 24-10-2013, 01:18 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

so if you aren't a fully paid up member of the rsoc you want be able to use their forum?
Old 24-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the way of the world, dunno why folks get so steamed up about it!

I was a member of the main RSOC for many years, even ran my local group for a good number of them, but folks move on, interest dwindles, just the way it is.

If they start charging for forum use, good luck to them, not ususual these days
Old 24-10-2013, 01:48 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If PF implemented the same type of system, who would pay to just have a gander at the forums then?

I suppose price dependent, I would probably pay up to be part of it but at the same time, I suppose I could try and live my life without PF

Not sure whether the same would apply to RSOC but certainly £30 for a forum is a bit steep. Full club membership elsewhere as said above seems to be hovering around the £10 mark. Not exactly a small amount of dosh if you have hundreds if not bordering on near a thousand or more paid members.
Old 24-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

i can understand why they have done it if im honest.

just pay the money if you want to view the forum amd if you dont then dont, whats wrong with that
Old 24-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I guess the idea is so you say might aswell join the RSOC if its going to £40 a quid for non members and free for members at £35 quid a year.

Will no kill it off as everyone says that charging for forums would kill them off but nearly all of the other forums that charge still going strong.
Old 24-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Sinbad
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Jay,
Its my understanding that if the club charge £10 then they wont be able to book national days track times show stands to get better deals so that is the price it is

£35 isnt exactly expensive to be a club members with use of a forum and lets face the club will get smaller so i dont see a issue

I dont agree with some politics on the RSOC but this makes sense to me
It's steep though Jay just to view a forum. Plus they keep saying Membership hasn't gone up for years yet you get less for your money now than you did 5 years ago.
Rallye News cut to 6 a year from 12, the number of shows dwindles each year, regalia not at all shows or only a limited number of items.

How about all those traders that have paid fees for the Forum, are they getting a discount when the number of viewers dwindle ?

Old 24-10-2013, 02:25 PM
SBT83
Not Crazy, just Unwell

It's steep though Jay just to view a forum. Plus they keep saying Membership hasn't gone up for years yet you get less for your money now than you did 5 years ago. Rallye News cut to 6 a year from 12, the number of shows dwindles each year, regalia not at all shows or only a limited number of items. How about all those traders that have paid fees for the Forum, are they getting a discount when the number of viewers dwindle ?
Well said! Good issue to point out
Old 24-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

not a regular visitor myself anymore, do pop on and have a quick look around though.
looks like I don't need to bother now.
£40 a year to potentially view not a lot.. I will await the we miss you come back and see us emails then as I seem to get them every month. sorry but that's a lot of money to be able to use a forum. wonder how many "normal" users will pay up ..
Old 24-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Maxwell
Irregular Poster

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder is it protectionism for the elite/close knot community!!

The government rolls the tax exemption in 2014...wait an see the tax books/plates that start to come alive...and im sure there is a brave few rsoc owners, have a few i.d's and book's tucked away - ready to ring!!

So if joe public searches google, and wants to see if an old rs he had 30yrs ago pops up, it won't be accessible unless he pays up!!

And fire all the abuse you want folks....this shit happens!! And i can personally "out" one of the "best/reknowned rs' in the british isles" right now.
Old 24-10-2013, 03:58 PM
cos 4x4
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stopped going on there when they wanted you to pay to view the for sale threads been a member on there for years now I defo won't be going on there.talk about elitist snobbery
Old 24-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

It's steep though Jay just to view a forum. Plus they keep saying Membership hasn't gone up for years yet you get less for your money now than you did 5 years ago.
Rallye News cut to 6 a year from 12, the number of shows dwindles each year, regalia not at all shows or only a limited number of items.

How about all those traders that have paid fees for the Forum, are they getting a discount when the number of viewers dwindle ?

Well the fee hasnt changed for years has it and it still will be £35 ?
Did the Rallye news get cut due to production costs shooting up ?

Like i said before the the membership fee is just to be part of the club and shows ect the forum was secondary
Old 24-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by cos 4x4
Stopped going on there when they wanted you to pay to view the for sale threads been a member on there for years now I defo won't be going on there.talk about elitist snobbery

Well there has to be some benefits to members its like here to sell ect it used to be £20 for a good few years with no other benefits at all ! its only been £10 for a couple of years and even then people moan lol
Old 24-10-2013, 04:44 PM
©hatter Box
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rsoc has never been the same since the site crashed back in late 99 did not bother getting its site back up and running for 3 months iirc then passion ford came about and has never looked back. And the rsoc web site has been dead ever since then.
Old 24-10-2013, 04:52 PM
TommysKeeper
PassionFord Regular

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

As an RSOC registrar I sit on the fence over this - I think I can see both sides though.

But when did the Rallye News go from 12 to 6? I have a collection going back to 1986 and it was bi-monthly then!

Cheers, John
Old 24-10-2013, 04:55 PM
STeve
Official PassionFord Trader
Official PassionFord BANNED Trader
Super Moderator

Received 869 Likes on 697 Posts

for most rsoc members the forum part is not that important as they get their benefits in other ways like being part of a regional group, discounts and valuations etc, if they close their forum to non members I cant help but think its scoring a own goal and potentially losing passing traffic, and with the growth of model specific model forums it will help them recruit all the easier
Old 24-10-2013, 05:04 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

so, to sum it up

some people think they are greedy robbing bastards in it for nothing other than fleecing the membership over everything

and on the other hand

it's a small price to pay to be part of an elite group of car enthusiasts without whom the whole scene would stagnate and crash

yes? no?
Old 24-10-2013, 05:09 PM
STeve
Super Moderator

its fair comment Dojj as the rsoc was one of the major founders in the car show scene, and over the years due to decline in actual RS cars and cost of fuel etc its hit attendance numbers hard and the club must be feeling the pinch now
Old 24-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Is it a rip off though Dojj mlr charge £35 for membership and most other marques charge more and give fuck all back ! The fact it is no one is forcing anyone to pay any money over and imo its not bad priced if you think some person will throw £40 of ale down there neck in a night and dont mind doing that what the worse waste
Old 24-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1-PD
its fair comment Dojj as the rsoc was one of the major founders in the car show scene, and over the years due to decline in actual RS cars and cost of fuel etc its hit attendance numbers hard and the club must be feeling the pinch now
It will always have a big name but the club will get smaller and i cant what difference it will make to memberships by locking the forum to members only its to well established
Old 24-10-2013, 05:15 PM
jason_nike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

I think you are right Sin, £40 is a bit much.

As people like Jay have said, most forums you do need to pay to join etc, so really it had to come as websites, maintenance etc all cost to keep going.

Question for everyone tho, if it was £12 per year for the forum, how many would pay??
Not digging at anyone just an honest question.
Just a note tho, even as a registrar of the RSOC I still pay to be member as I believe in the RS and Ford scene and would love all sites/forums etc to thrive and rejoice each other
Old 24-10-2013, 05:22 PM
STeve
Super Moderator

thats it jay love or hate the rsoc there is no denying what a massive contribution they have made over the years, passing traffic will be lost and potentially someone not connected in the car scene looking for 1st time info may give it a second thought, but its their club and their rules so everyone simply has to like it or lump it but the forum has never been busy anyway so it wont make a great deal of difference anyhow
Old 24-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by jason_nike

As people like Jay have said, most forums you do need to pay to join etc, so really it had to come as websites, maintenance etc all cost to keep going.

Question for everyone tho, if it was £12 per year for the forum, how many would pay??
Just a note tho, even as a registrar of the RSOC I still pay to be member as I believe in the RS and Ford scene and would love all sites/forums etc to thrive and rejoice each other

Ibet there would be little improvement in numbers even if it was £12 I know theres been plenty of scandal in the rsoc but put that away Ibet running the club wit admin ect paying bills wages booking events up front swallows money like a fat bloke eating pies
Old 24-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

thats it jay love or hate the rsoc there is no denying what a massive contribution they have made over the years, passing traffic will be lost and potentially someone not connected in the car scene looking for 1st time info may give it a second thought, but its their club and their rules so everyone simply has to like it or lump it but the forum has never been busy anyway so it wont make a great deal of difference anyhow
Exactly my friend the forum has never been the biggest thing about the club although its had its moments Look at this place 5 years ago if you logged of for a few ours then came back you would have 4-5 pages to catch up on now its a few threads . the brands are getting more popular like the stoc ect so the rsoc will survive
Old 24-10-2013, 05:37 PM
STeve
Super Moderator

Jay I did like you better when you owned a ST
Old 24-10-2013, 05:47 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

Oh well
Old 24-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Jay I did like you better when you owned a ST
Lol the ST shaped my image like a vest never did
Old 24-10-2013, 06:24 PM
SBT83
Not Crazy, just Unwell

Originally Posted by Jay,
Lol the ST shaped my image like a vest never did
Old 24-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Sinbad
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by jason_nike

Folk would still moan at £12 Jason as that is life but its more sensible than £40. In all fairness people like us could say stuff it, it doesn't affect us as we are Members BUT its not the done thing to see someone wronged
Old 24-10-2013, 06:49 PM
TommysKeeper
PassionFord Regular

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Rallye News cut to 6 a year from 12,
When did this happen Sinbad? As I posted above I have collection going back to 1986 and it was bi-monthly then.

Cheers, John
Old 24-10-2013, 07:02 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Makes sense really, if you don't pay the whore, you don't get the sex.

Quick Reply: RSOC