General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mk1 acid dip and electro coat !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:08 PM
mowdo
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mk1 acid dip and electro coat !!!!!!!!

hi im thinking of sending my mk1 mexico to suface processing birmingham for acid dip and electro coat

total cost 1400

does anyone have any advise on acid dipping electro coating or the company

thanks https://passionford.com/forum/images...on_biggrin.gif
Old 09-07-2013, 07:30 PM
mercury grey minter
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a programme called beetle crisis on discovery channel.In the second series a guy was doing a concourse bug and he took it to that place in brum.It show the process and what's involved.Should be on youtube somewhere.Series 2 episode 2.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Not on that particular company but one of the guys on performancenovagroup had his dipped and primed by these people iirc

http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/

Turned out very nice from what you could see but there so many places you can't get into to check how well the process has faired.

What you could do is make a few...... ports,lol, for the product to flow into those areas to increase you chance of it taking well. The car should be fully submerged and rotated to help move an air about that might get trapped, in theory it should cover really well.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:31 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

ive heard good and bad storys from this place , when I got quoted around the same as you there was a 6 month waiting list on getting the car e coated , they said take the car home and bring it back 6 months from now which I thought was crazy.

try using prostrip in notts very close and they offer 2 different coatings

dipping is £775

zinc phosphate coating £620

galvanized coating £875

cheers paul
Old 09-07-2013, 07:35 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am in 2 minds about the dipping process. We recently had a Volvo p1800 in from there and there was a fair bit of rust in areas I can only assume were not either washed off properly or the ecoat reacted with.

The nova RS1 mentioned ( assuming its Keith's ) has had its fair share of issues with areas rusting through.

Those 2 aside I have heard a few bad stories but know people in the trade who swear by them.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Rs1

JonnyBravo, it was indeed Keith's I was thinking of. The stripping and neutralising fluid probably flowed into most places and worked a treat but i'm guessing the ecoat didn't get right in there and/or there was loose corrosion remaining in the chassis that had started the nova disintergration process almost immediately??
Old 09-07-2013, 10:42 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a shame it costs so much and IMO doesn't guarantee perfect results.

The reason afaik that there is a 6 month waiting list on e coating is that they use a 3rd party for that work and only have 2 days a month available. I believe they did it all on house initially and I did guess that's where it was maybe going wrong, sadly though the Volvo we did was only dipped last year and even though its dry stored it was coming back in various places.

Look into envirostrip I think their called, spoke to them at Autosport and they offered us a good price
Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

we have used it once at work dipping is ok but the e coat is a waste unless its a perfect shell.

Make sure you brace the shell as if its picked up badly it will twist.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:33 PM
SMILER258
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I did some research into these, and I decided not to. I've read a few times about how the acid getting into seams, but not being given enough time to seep out, and rusting them inside out. I also read up on soda blasting leaving an alkili residue of a higher ph than original, causing problems for metal and paint reactions. I read grit blasting can be best, but can distort panels if not done properly, so is commonly used for small tight to access areas like roof gutters, and underside floor pans.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

hard graft and sandpaper for the bits you can see, rust converter and dinitrol cavity wax for the bits you cant see, then the hard to reach places, if unsure cut it open, treat/repair it and weld back up. then see above! lol far cheaper just a lot harder